Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm seriously looking at purchasing a multistrada with electrical problems.

According to the owner, the bike turns over/ starts for 3 or so seconds before it dies. Every time the key is turned, the electronics seem to all work, and the engine fires, but it dies immediately (3 or so seconds) after.

Does anyone know what type of a problem this might be?

Also, considering the worst case scenario, where I would buy the bike and have to replace most of the electricals, what could this cost me? Forgive the naive question, but other than an ecu, wiring harness, what else is there?

I'm reluctant to mention this because I want responses from people who are thinking outside the box, but I know that the wiring harness was messed with, as this multi has no fairing for a street fighter look (meaning they relocated the wiring harness) and may have made other alterations to it.

However, regardless, could this be an issue with the stator, rectifier/regulator? other connections/grounds?

Any ideas would be really helpful. The bike isn't exactly local, and tomorrow or the day after, I'd like to take a 7 hour drive (each way!) to pick it up. So prompt responses are a must.

Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also suppose it's worth mentioning that I have tried some google searches, etc. and I'm having trouble finding anyone with the same problem. Hmm.... I just want to make sure I can afford the bike and cost of repair before I take the plunge!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Based on the limited information you provided, it could be anything, including something that has absolutely nothing to do with the electronics. Unless the guy is paying you to take it away, I don't know why you'd be interested in a science project like that, when it could turn out to have a major problem. Was the owner able to give you any history as to what was done, why (accident), when the problems started, etc.?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry about that. Yes, it is a 2004 Multistrada 1000. It underwent a conversion to a street fighter, which ultimately was unfinished, due to this problem.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I know you're actually looking for specific electronics advice, but I'll give you some old guy, been there done that, unsolicited advice. Don't buy it. Don't buy someone else's problem, particularly if you are hoping that it will be an inexpensive path into a bike you want. It won't be. And on top of that, the headaches and the end result won't be worth it. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. I suppose could get the bike for around the 2k mark. I figured that even if I dump another 1k, or 1.5k into it, I'll still have what I want and have a great package (adjustable showa sus., marchesini's, 1000 v-twin). After all, the bike only has 2,814 miles...

I'm not necessarily thinking it will be a cheap fix, but I think even after factoring in a reasonable amount for repairs, it could still be worth my while.

What are the symptoms of the valve guides going bad? I suppose that might be another possibility, too?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses so far. Please let me know if repairs really could be much higher than my above assumption...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Regulator/rectifier is a common fault on early Ducati's & cheap to fix although not sure if the fault you describe matches.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Whenever I've been contemplating a "project" bike or auto, I've found it invaluable to take a trusted mechanic ( paid for his time) along to have a look and give me an opinion. For @ $125 it has proven on numerous occasions worth it. Mostly it has resulted in not taking on the project. Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
As a long-time auto mechanic, this looks like BIG trouble to me. If it was easy to fix, the present owner would have done so already. Because the bike doesn't run, you can't tell if it has handling problems, transmission problems, charging problems, fueling problems, or if it burns oil. Ask yourself: can you afford to throw away $2,000? And a 14 hour drive, including gas and wear and tear of your vehicle? Are you a good enough mechanic to diagnose and repair all the problems this bike might have? Or will you have to pay someone? Do you know someone who is knowledgeable about Ducati electrics?
My jaundiced eye says that this is a $500 project bike that will take a while to fix. Don't let your emotions and excitement overcome your intellect - there are lots of other bikes to choose from, especially for $2k. Just my $0.02 from a guy who has made this type of bad choice before. Actually, a couple of times..... And seen others caught up in the excitement.
Good luck, whatever you decide.

·
Registered
545 Posts
^^^^ This. OP, the problem you describe could literally be anything, from electrical, to fueling, to the motor itself. There is no way to tell and, without the bike running, you won't be able to tell what else is wrong. Also, nobody (very few people) street fighters a Multi. I'd bet that this bike was wrecked, salvaged, attempted to make work and now is being sold because the owner realizes it's either a lost cause or a really expensive one.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
An 8 year old 'steetfightered' bike with (supposedly) only 2814 miles on the clock would probably be enough to make me walk away right there. Throw in non-running, and it becomes a no brainer. For me anyway...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for providing me with a voice of reason. Apparently that is what I needed to hear.

Today (or Tomorrow) I am going to look at another multi - which I will turn into an Street fighter. Instead of buying the ready product and fixing it up, I guess I will buy a good Multi and make an SF from there...

This one is a 620 dark, local, two owner, 22k, all service records, with a full set of term's to boot.

It will look great as an sf. Plus, the 620 is better around town than the 1000. And do you know what i've learned in my searching? The 620 swing arm is LIGHTER than the sss on the 1000!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
You'll get tired fast of the poor power delivery of the 620, if you're gonna build a SF, get at least the 1000, power when you need it, reliable 2valve motor, not a bad bone on its body!
$.02!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Heck man, offer 1/2 what he's looking for! The worst that can happen is you on load it if you can't figure it out. Hell, I'll buy it! Pass the info.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I suppose could get the bike for around the 2k mark. I figured that even if I dump another 1k, or 1.5k into it, I'll still have what I want and have a great package (adjustable showa sus., marchesini's, 1000 v-twin). After all, the bike only has 2,814 miles...

I'm not necessarily thinking it will be a cheap fix, but I think even after factoring in a reasonable amount for repairs, it could still be worth my while.

What are the symptoms of the valve guides going bad? I suppose that might be another possibility, too?

The symptoms you describe are definitely not caused by worn valve guides.

Please do not take this wrong, but seeing a question like that leads me to believe that you lack the mechanical background to trouble shoot what could be a fairly complex (hard to identify) problem. Nothing wrong with that, not everyone is a mechanic, but understanding limitations can save you $$$ in the end. :think:
I totaly agree with Archimedio’s statement “old guy, been there done that, unsolicited advice. Don't buy it. Don't buy someone else's problem, particularly if you are hoping that it will be an inexpensive path into a bike you want.”

That said, on the plus side at least it’s mechanically relatively simple bike compared to the 1200. If you pursue the idea, maybe a quick trip to your local mechanic or dealer with your symptoms, get them to give you a guess on what they would charge just to diagnose, they’ll have some ideas. Nothing you can hold them too but just get an idea of how much their rate is and a WAG. Then they can give you a couple estimates on possible parts, such as ECU…. Then factor it all in and see if it’s worth the grief…This is simply a gamble, that it’s an easy cheap fix, (but then it likely would not be for sale if it were that easy or cheap)…Kind of like that ‘if it’s too good to be true’……. I hope it comes out well for you whatever you decide.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts