Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
OK guys, I watched the video and nothing new there....that's the way I install belts on my non-DVT 1200, but I use a little cam pulley lock, on the vert cy, so the intake cam doesn't rotate. BUT, it did bring up a question regarding cam removal/installation and getting everything 'perfect/back to normal'.

Here's the question: you've got the cams out of the vert cy and have to rotate the crank to TDC so that a valve doesn't fall into the cy. So, you rotate the cam 270 degrees counter clockwise, change shims and now....why can't you rotate the crank 270 degrees CLOCK WISE, which would put the crank/cams/etc right back to where they were prior to removing the cams? IS there an issue with rotating the crank clock wise vs counter clock wise? If there's not, this whole DVT engine service is about like a non-DVT....other then this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
OK guys, I watched the video and nothing new there....that's the way I install belts on my non-DVT 1200, but I use a little cam pulley lock, on the vert cy, so the intake cam doesn't rotate. BUT, it did bring up a question regarding cam removal/installation and getting everything 'perfect/back to normal'.

Here's the question: you've got the cams out of the vert cy and have to rotate the crank to TDC so that a valve doesn't fall into the cy. So, you rotate the cam 270 degrees counter clockwise, change shims and now....why can't you rotate the crank 270 degrees CLOCK WISE, which would put the crank/cams/etc right back to where they were prior to removing the cams? IS there an issue with rotating the crank clock wise vs counter clock wise? If there's not, this whole DVT engine service is about like a non-DVT....other then this.
This is the way I did mine; I just rotated it backwards when I was done with the Vert cylinder.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts