Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Tamworth: Maybe I will pull my right side casing "plug" and see what can be seen looking down the hole. On older motors a crankshaft sensor went here but on our motors, there's simply a superfluous plug. The service manual shows it but doesn't say what it is for. Maybe there is a dot or line on the end of the crankshaft to indicate when the horizontal head is at compression TDC. I will hunt for pictures of DVT motor crankshafts.

The YouTube videos clearly shows that the important thing is to ensure that the front head is at compression TDC then lock the crankshaft. If I ever get around to doing this job, I'd do the same as shown in the video; turn the crank to align the outer pulley mark at horizontal head compression TDC then go crazy with my yellow marker pen on the belts and pulleys and copy the marks from old belts to new.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Because the cam belts are off you can't tell which is the compression stroke by feeling the pressure in the plug hole or probing the piston top to determine travel. Most likely the Ducati service computer (or whatever the device is) will tell when the front ignition is triggering and then you know you're about to come to TDC on compression stroke. This is what's needed to set this straight.

·
Registered
175 Posts
However after looking at the video and the parameters that have to be verified on the tablet he's using, the simplest thing is to load onto a trailer and get it to the Ducati service. Even if Gnm gets this going you could be battling error lights forever

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
If the error light persists I’ll take it to the dealer but still have to deal with the service and Desmo light that the dealer won’t reset unless they do the work.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was wrong; the plug on the right side casing shown in the picture above is the location of the oil pressure switch on earlier bikes not a crankshaft sensor. I'm guessing that the purpose of the plug on the DVT bikes is to connect an external oil pressure switch for troubleshooting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
On the left side there is a sensor and and inspection plug. It shows timing and rpm sensor

·
Registered
59 Posts
Because the cam belts are off you can't tell which is the compression stroke by feeling the pressure in the plug hole or probing the piston top to determine travel. Most likely the Ducati service computer (or whatever the device is) will tell when the front ignition is triggering and then you know you're about to come to TDC on compression stroke. This is what's needed to set this straight.
Probing the piston top and using the alignment tool on the belt drive pulley is how I set mine.
Probe for TDC, try fitting the tool if it doesn’t line up rotate to next TDC and the tool will fit.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If the error light persists I’ll take it to the dealer but still have to deal with the service and Desmo light that the dealer won’t reset unless they do the work.
If you can, try another dealer. Plenty of them will reset the service light for a reasonable fee, regardless of who did the work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The dealer did say they would reset the light but when they realized I had the extended warranty they said they can’t until the warranty is over. The bike is now running and idling great seems more sluggish then before when starting but that could be a weak battery, had a charger on and helped a bit. The cel is still on, will go to the dealer if it stays on after a ride, could be soon the snow is going fast. I wish we had a way to check the dvt error codes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
What I did , from the link I previously posted from an italien site they show the tdc holding tool with all the measurements, I turned the crank for horizontal tdc by feeling the top of the piston, I used the measurements for the tool and check with a vernier caliper , that checked out.( I still don’t understand how rotating another rotation how that would make any difference with that tool) I looked in the left side cover for the turning tool and the notches lined up with the horizontal cyl. I then lined up the dots on cams with the head and put the belts on. 22 teeth on the belt between dots on vertical cyl and 23 on horizontal. Still have cel , might be something to do with tps, if I give a slight twist of throttle while starting it starts much faster.

·
Registered
678 Posts
T, Thanks for explaining the crank ‘pulley’. I thought it might be something like that and now it makes total sense. With that said....it appears, that if you don’t want to move the crank to pull the closers shims on the vert cy, the only way to guarantee the valve doesn’t go ‘boom’ is to pump the cy full of air. I have used that method on cars, but never on a m/c, BUT....IF the crank locking tool only can be installed ONE way, what does it matter if you have to rotate the crank to get the vert cy to TDC for a shim change? Or am I missing something?

On another note...I spoke to a Ducati guy, who told me that the 1200 DVT motor is ‘better‘ then the 1260 due to the way it ‘feels’. I haven’t ridden a 1260, but any of you have an opinion on this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I think I’ve been thinking of this crank holding tool all wrong. I was thinking there are 2 tdc for each cylinder, for example if the timing belts are off is there a tdc on compression and then what would be the exhaust? My thought is the tdc of compression would send the signal for the plug to fire from a sensor on crank like a distributor on a car but Now thinking it’s the condition of the cams and the tdc which determines when the plug sparks. So I guess the dot on the pulley and the mark on the engine case are just approximate tdc and the tool gets the exact tdc. Not sure if I’m making sense lol. Took the bike down the street yesterday, roads are a mess of gravel and sand and still snow banks so was only 1 minute drive. Engine light still on bike seems to run good but needs a small twist of throttle for fast start. Another month and I’ll be able to go for a decent ride.

·
Registered
175 Posts
With the cams out of the picture there is no compression or exhaust stroke. The crank has two ignition triggers, one for each cylinder, probably on the edge of the alternator as a convenient spot. They make the spark plugs fire every revolution. Every second spark happens at the end of the exhaust stroke and does nothing. All engines that take the ignition trigger from the crank, like most motorcycles, do this. it's refered to as wasted spark ignition. Every lawn mower with a flywheel magneto is the same.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts