Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was in the process of replacing the air filter and also in turn doing the air filter mod 2017 on my 2016 DVT when I reached the stage of disconnecting the fuel line from the pump. Now no matter which way I tried it wasn't budging and over time impatience got the better of me and I think I may have created more of a mess than necessary.

Here are some pictures of the way it was fitted originally, the damaged bits hanging off the hose and then me pulling it out.

I wanted to ask you wise chaps if I've damaged the fuel pump in its entirety? Or can it be salvaged?
Is it easy to find a replacement on the cheap?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
The fool!

Attachments

·
Registered
869 Posts
Looking at the fiche, I don't see those parts as individual parts, so I assume they come complete with the fuel pump.

I hope I'm wrong.

I would call Ducati Omaha (402) 408-4400 or AMS Ducati in Dallas (214) 466-6540, they look like parts that should be available.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did reach across the local dealer as well as Omaha. Both said the same thing. Looks like it needs a full replacement.

Since it's $1032 new, I'm going to look for used / salvaged parts on eBay instead. I hope nothing else needs replacement now.
I don't know why the whole bike is so bloody complicated. Even the air box mod took forever for what should have been a simple task.

·
Registered
869 Posts
So I was in the process of replacing the air filter and also in turn doing the air filter mod 2017 on my 2016 DVT when I reached the stage of disconnecting the fuel line from the pump. Now no matter which way I tried it wasn't budging and over time impatience got the better of me and I think I may have created more of a mess than necessary.

Here are some pictures of the way it was fitted originally, the damaged bits hanging off the hose and then me pulling it out.

I wanted to ask you wise chaps if I've damaged the fuel pump in its entirety? Or can it be salvaged?
Is it easy to find a replacement on the cheap?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
The fool!

Can't find anything useful in the service manual. It looks like the piece, top left, is missing one tab. Is the ring below it also broken?

It looks like once the black elbow is inserted, the four tabs hold it in place and then the ring piece turns 90 degrees and locks everything in place. With 3 of 4 tabs, I think it would still stay in place.

If the ring piece (bottom left) is broken, you may be able to piece it with some kind of plastic repair or using a worm clamp. A few more pictures of where the parts are broken may help,

It looks like the ring piece may be split down the side, this should be a fairly easy plastic repair.

Take some more pictures.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the bottom left ring is split and the tab is missing from the top part. But whats more important that I learned is that ring is supposed to be fixed to the top of the fuel pump. So its snapped off from there as well. That is probably impossible to repair.

I succumbed and finally ordered a salvaged fuel pump on ebay for 20% of the price. Hopefully it should be functional or atleast I can salavage the top part from it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Glad you managed to find a use one.

So now you've been through the aggravation of learning how this quick disconnect mechanism works, can you describe the operation to help save someone else from the mishap you encountered.

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So not everything went according to plan. Received the pump from UK / NL (can't figure out where) and realized it does not have the broken part on it. I was majorly confused because I was certain that clip is part of the fuel pump. Checked other pictures of used pumps and yes sure enough the guy sold me a broken one. I've lodged a complaint for return ... lets see how that pans out. PSA - if the price is too low for something then probably there's a reason for it :)

Ordered another one this time from Denver. Confirmed beforehand that it has all the parts. Will arrive Tuesday.
Will update then.

The procedure to disconnect listed in the manual is to pinch the ring, slide downwards and then take the fuel line out. It just doesn't seem as easy as they write it out to be though. There is very little give in the pinch and moving downwards part. And at some point you begin to wonder if that indeed is the right thing.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The procedure to disconnect listed in the manual is to pinch the ring, slide downwards and then take the fuel line out. It just doesn't seem as easy as they write it out to be though. There is very little give in the pinch and moving downwards part. And at some point you begin to wonder if that indeed is the right thing.
Interesting, looking at the parts I would have guessed that the ring should 1/4 turn and then slip down the fuel line exposing the 4 clips that hold the line in which would easily flex out to release the fuel line.

Maybe when you get the new pump you can make a quick video, with your phone or something, I'd be happy to post it on my Youtube channel if you don't have one setup.

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
Also be sure it's securely connected... I had no problem getting mine off (I'm guessing there was something wrong with yours because these were the easiest to remove fuel fittings I've ever used - push/pull)... but when reinstalling I thought mine was reconnected but it turns out it was not and was subsequently only being held in by the tank cover (for about 3 months!).

·
Registered
103 Posts

Can't find anything useful in the service manual. It looks like the piece, top left, is missing one tab. Is the ring below it also broken?

It looks like once the black elbow is inserted, the four tabs hold it in place and then the ring piece turns 90 degrees and locks everything in place. With 3 of 4 tabs, I think it would still stay in place.

If the ring piece (bottom left) is broken, you may be able to piece it with some kind of plastic repair or using a worm clamp. A few more pictures of where the parts are broken may help,

It looks like the ring piece may be split down the side, this should be a fairly easy plastic repair.

Take some more pictures.

From German Forum Hilfe brauche Ersatzsicherungsring Benzinleitung

cheap repair with Moto Guzzi part GU 01106692

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/Moto-Guzzi/Tanks-Zubehoer/Benzinpumpen-filter/Anschlussstueck-Benzinpumpe::4980.html

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Don't feel bad. In fact I feel pretty good reading your post because so many of my projects have these little glitches that turn a half-hour $25 operation into two weeks waiting for parts and $350. I took my fuel hoses off my 09 MTS this past winter, and I'll be honest with you when I say that it's nothing short of sheer luck I got them off without breaking them, I was well on my way to your situation when I accidentally squeezed/pulled/turned/whatever just the right way and one hose popped off in my hand. Looking at it disassembled made it pretty simple to figure out how the other one worked. Sorry, mine had different connectors than yours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, I wanted to thank everyone for sharing this information. I too managed to break a piece of the gray fitting which caused a bad seal. After much research, shock and disappointments I discovered this thread. The recommended Guzzi part works perfectly and I have documented how to remove it. It’s very easy and costs about $8 vs $1000 for a new fuel pump assembly.

I used a Gatorade bottle for rigidity, and cut 4 small slivers which slide between the Guzzi fitting and the locking nut. Once all four are in place, the part slides off easily. The part is a direct match to the Ducati part.

Hopefully this helps someone else, because my daily driver was suddenly useless and I didn’t have an extra grand laying around.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did same thing on a multistrada enduro pro 2018, but I take out the ring and push on the four small tabs then release the fuel hose. and then after replace the air filter, I put it back in place and it clip down as push on the hose, and use a plastic strap instead of the ring. worked just fine

1 - 16 of 16 Posts