Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a Custom LED tail light here and I'm asking myself what the easiest way to mounting it is. I have a description that says to remove the battery and starter relay, but somehow that feels like it shouldn't be needed.

Has anybody done it and can outline the process? Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
12,385 Posts
Make sure you have spare fuses....

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I assume you mean a CustomLED.com product. If it's a model for your bike, i would think the connectors would be the same as the original, making it hard to make an error installing it.

I don't know why in the world they would tell you to remove the starter relay, especially if the battery is removed. That's some serious overkill.

I wouldn't disconnect the battery, just turn the key off, but based upon the incredibly stupid things that people are capable of, don't consider my comment advice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it's a CustomLED.com product. The connectors are the same, that's a non-issue. The description is from an older Ducati service manual, but it plain doesn't work. The tail part doesn't come off and I don't want to break it.

It's possible that the starter relay is supposed to be removed to get to the connector for the tail light, which sometimes seems to be hidden behind/underneath the relay. It isn't on my bike. Personally I wouldn't disconnect the battery either, makes no sense to me.

For me the real question is:

How do I physically remove the tail section from the bike. I've removed the four screws in the tray and the two from below and it absolutely doesn't budge at all. I have no idea where it is hanging and I don't want to disassemble the whole rear of the bike for no good reason.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi all,

I have a Custom LED tail light here and I'm asking myself what the easiest way to mounting it is. I have a description that says to remove the battery and starter relay, but somehow that feels like it shouldn't be needed.

Has anybody done it and can outline the process? Thanks a lot!

I installed the Custom LED light in my '13 GT with no issues....plug and play. There were no "instructions" on how to remove the OEM light, however, but it seemed (and turned out) to be pretty straight forward / intuitive. Take your time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it's certainly not "plug & play" as I haven't been able to pull the tail apart yet. I'll probably take another look tonight.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just finished installing a CustomLED tail Light in my 2016 MTS1200S yesterday. It is "Plug and Play" however the installation is a bit more complex than that. The reason the Service Manual has you remove the battery and Starter solenoid is the Tail Light connector sub harness is located in the "crack" behind the solenoid and Frame. Mine was actually "out" where you could see it and almost get a hold of it but I still removed the Battery et al as I also put a new LiFe battery I had in the bike ( saves 5 pounds)!!!!!

If you have the Top Case ( as I do) it gets even worse as you have to remove the top case bracket supports ( 4 bolts each side) plus the 6 bolts ( 4 top and 2 underneath) for the tail piece. You then have to remove the License plate holder and only then will you be able to remove the screws that give you access to the end of the sub-harness that connects the Tail Light and Turn signals where it becomes "Plug & Play". It's about 1 hour to do all that but it goes back together quicker EXCEPT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The plastic "studs" on the CustomLED Tail Light have holes that are too big for the stock screws that come on the OEM Tail Ligh mountt! I had to stop and hunt up 3 self-tapping screws that would work. It's a small detail that CustonLED should correct.

Also it would be nice if they made the "programming wire ( gray one) about a foot longer so you could route it up underneath the seat where you could mount a small switch (one of their options) for programming activation and it would be better protected. I soldered a length of wire and shrink tubed the splice so it has some protection and routed it that way.

Finally, since I wanted to use the integrated Turn Signals, I took the OEM stock ones off. I now have to find some "plugs" to fill up the holes. Sure wish CustomeLED wold provide some plugs ( even if you have to buy them) so it would be a more complete package.

Still a nice product but at $175 it should be a complete solution.

Cheers, D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem I have is that even after I disconnected the four screws on top and the two below (top case plate isn't mounted yet) I can't get the tail piece to come down. It's just as tight as it was with all the screws in.

I will disconnect the battery and the cable tonight and see wether I get any further with it.

The programming is a huge let down for me. Sorry, but if the switch is needed to get the functionality working, it needs to be included in the package. But okay, one problem at a time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The tail piece is "shock" mounted in rubber grommets. You need to remove all 6 screws and push down from the top with some force as the plastic posts are a pretty tight fit in those four grommets.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The tail piece is "shock" mounted in rubber grommets. You need to remove all 6 screws and push down from the top with some force as the plastic posts are a pretty tight fit in those four grommets.
Do you by chance have a photo of where to push and what actually comes down when seen from the top? Which parts are actually moving and which aren't? Where do I push "from the top"?

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is from the Service Manual. If you look at the one labled "Tailpiece mount". You will see where it shows the four (4) screws from the top.

When you unscrew those four, (and have removed to two on the bottom), the only thing that holds the tail piece up is friction at those four locations. Yo can just "partially" unscrew those four fasteners and then push down with a screw driver on the screws themselves or take them out and use a small dowel, Phillips head screwdriver, etc. to fit into the hole the screw goes into to push down.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts