Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wrecked two of these things so far, should I try a third or call it quits?

As most here may remember, about totaled myself out along with the last one. But the closer I get to full recovery the more I have fond memories of riding my Multi's even if I never really took any real cross country trips on them or anything.

So anyhow, went back to work on restricted duties today so that's a start. Left ankle just needs a few more weeks and should be frosty for operating a shifter again . . .

On the one hand I definitely do not want to crash again as bad as this last time but on the other I don't want to sit out having fun, solely out of fear. Also, most of my family and friends are strongly against me riding again, as is my fiancee.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Wrecked two of these things so far, should I try a third or call it quits?

Only you can make that ultimate decision. I found myself in exactly the same position (wife not fiancee but they both carry a fair amount of pull) a few years back. Totaled brand new BMW K1600, grinding down the head to expose the bolts. Ankle was injured but luckily no surgery was required. Wrecked the very expensive SIDI boots but boy did they do their job.

Took a few months off but ended up back on another K1600 (that insurance check was burning a serious hole in my pocket).

Back to the decision. Life is about risk management. Everything you do carries risk whether you perceive it or not. Having lost more than a few friends and my first business partner in aviation accidents, risk is something I've dealt with up close and personal. Riding a motorcycle adds to risk. Period. Make the decision whether the "benefits" outweigh that inherent risk. ATTGATT and being careful does not eliminate the risk. Reduce yes, eliminate no. Think about it. If you're comfortable with the inherent risk or not, either way you have your answer. THEN you take steps to mitigate that inherent risk. But it will always be there.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Take a refresher course. I even recommend the basic course. After two serious crashes, I can understand someone will start having some concerns. My motorcycle has been my only ride for the past 12 years, I'm single therefore it can suit my lifestyle. Riding in traffic and on the public streets requires a lot of skill, not just physical skills, but more importantly your mental skills, knowing How, Where and What to look for. Then you must make the right decisions. I agree, from the previous poster, there is always a risk, but what can you do minimize that risk? Ride within your skill set and account for other variables such as traffic, surface conditions, etc.

As an everyday rider, I have personally taken a pledge, I always wear my gear, including riding pants with armour every time I mount my motorcycle. I always take a motorcycle safety or some other advance skills course every two years, and I never drink and ride. Not even one drink. I consider myself a skilled rider, but I'm always looking to improve and learn from others who have been so humble, such as yourself to share their experience so hopefully I will not make the same mistake, or do something differently.

3 times a charm.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The universe is telling you something,,, actually it told you twice already. 0:)

Go to an instructional track day.

Good to hear you're healing well, that is not always the case. I crashed and did what I'm preaching. I learned lessons that saved my ass countless times over the years. Another benefit was that it was extremely fun and I'm now hooked. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Only you and your insurance company can decide that. I don't know how or why you crashed so I don't know what your likelihood is of killing yourself or someone else.

I quit for over 20 years until my daughter was 18 because I couldn't conceive of the idea of her having to deal with the loss of her daddy.

I wouldn't have quit for a fiancee, spouse or family. I took care of my geriatric parents while I was on the riding hiatus and it so happened they passed before my daughter was 18. Three wives, none ever mentioned me stopping anything, life insurance was paid up.

I agree that everything you do has a risk component. I continued to fly as a flight instructor because I believed that the risk of colliding with another airplane in the pattern was small as long as I kept my flying in bad weather limits very conservative. On a motorcycle, there are complete idiots and drug impaired people trying to kill you and there is nothing between you and them except a helmet and some leather.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I put mine into the side of a honda accord. I took a very long hiatus to riding and it is one of my biggest regrets. I should have hopped right back into it the second I could get around on my feet again (probably a track day or two.) I promised family and all that I wouldn't ride but it was the one thing that brought me happiness after a relatively rough recovery.

All wrecks are different and like others said, only you really know if your riding style is condusive to street survival. I am back but on a hypermotard 1100 right now. I scour the forums and bike sites for another 12-14 Pikes Peak as I will put one of those back in my garage! Do a track day and advanced riding course if you can. Upon completing those, you will know if you want to ride on the street again (or become a track junkie)

Reactions: jahjah

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
Only you and your insurance company can decide that. I don't know how or why you crashed so I don't know what your likelihood is of killing yourself or someone else.
This is pretty much my thought as well. Not really knowing the factors in your crash and me not being adept at the assignment of risk, it'd be hard to provide good advice. My heart would say go for it, my brain might say something else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts