Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
OK you guys with high mileage bikes
I'm thinking of a MS as a commuter
I do 60 mi RT a day. 50 of it is freeway
Thoughts?
Umm, I couldn't just reply came up a blank screen. Anyway, the MS would make a great commuter, enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
263 Posts
OK you guys with high mileage bikes
I'm thinking of a MS as a commuter
I do 60 mi RT a day. 50 of it is freeway
Thoughts?
The MTS 620 is a much better commuter than the MTS 1000.

Easier to maintain, better fuel efficiency, less reliability issues.

I used my MTS 1000 as a commuter in L.A. traffic (on the 405 near LAX, which is a nightmare) once or twice a week, and it was a great bike to maneuver through traffic. It is HORRIBLE on a standstill -- the bike can easily overheat if not in constant motion. However, if you can split lanes safely, it's great.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
That's the reason I bought my first Multi in 2003, I had a one way 50 mile boring, straight most highway speed commute. Worked great, my 749S spent a lot more time in the garager after that.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
If your commute comes with risk of traffic jam, hot weaher, and some very slow crawling, liquid cooled bikes will fare better.

The Testastretta engines are highly reliable (my own experience + lack of complaints in general).

Plus you get loads more grunt.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Anyway, the MS would make a great commuter, enjoy the ride.
...And what the hell do you know about commuting there Buell owner??:) ;) LOL!! Betcha wished you'd held off on that Buell after seeing the new Multi pics, hu??

So, back to commuting. Here's the funny thing about 'commuting'. Two people could travel the exact same stretch of road on the exact same bike...one commuting to work, the other out enjoying the day. Those two rides will have completely different effets 180 degrees out from each other.

After 13 months on my Multi, 7,000+ miles, 95 miles round trip (80 of it freeway), every day, all year, rain or shine, I consider myself highly qualified to tell you about commuting on the Multi. I would NOT do it again. That's correct, I said no!

The Multi handles great, relatively comfortable, extremely roomy compared to sport bikes (obviously) practical, and most every other good thing you've heard about the bike remains true...IF she's used for her indended purpose.

The bike offers almost zero wind and rain protection. Buffeting is constant and annoying also. My 749 and SS either one both offer better wind, rain, noise, and buffeting protection over the Multi. Riding in the rain proves the lack of protection point, because I am soaked from head to toe. Especially from the knee down where I end up with more water on me than on the road. Same goes for the upper body, which BTW doubles as a drag chute. I have been accidentally stuck in the rain on the other bikes before and barely end up with my upper shoulders wet, and not much more. Another thing I personally have discovered about the Muiti is the riding position. I have actually found it to be right in the middle of no-mans-land. To be completely comfortable, I'd rather be a little more foward, like on a ST, or further back, like on a full cruiser or touring bike. The Multi for me, is right in the middle with no relief either way.

When you can get "lost in the ride" these items aren't so much of a factor, but when you have nothing to do for a whole hour besides stare at the cagers surrounding you, it gets old.

Owning a Multi (and probably a little bit of being older and wiser) has really taught me about owning the "right" motorcycle. Doesn't always have to be completely practical, especially when a bike lights a fire deep in side your soul, but I've grown to love what is really important. For the constant freeway, it's not a Multi. I wish every day I would have purchased someting a little more on the ST side of the house.

Needless to say, the novelty over the Multi for me has worn off pretty fast. The only reason mines not for sale is it still beats commuting on a 749 (although not by much after re-reading what I wrote), and I am undecided on what to replace it with. I like the new Multi, but fear I'd end up in the same boat. I think I may very likely try a ST in my future. Too bad Ducati dumped that line. I'd love to see Ducati put out something on-par or superior, and slightly more ST, but along the lines of the BMW K1300S!! That'd be sweet!

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
galaxy;726748Needless to say said:
From reading your post you need to get an ST if you want to stay with Ducati. The ST has the attributes you are talking about. It would be like riding your 749 with a little more comfort and bags to haul your shit. You can pick up good condition st4's for around $6K. On to your thoughts about a new st, that has been beaten to a pulp on the st forum but I too wish they would come out with something. It would be sweet to get a 1198 ST along the lines of the 1300S with ABS, heated grips and luggage. Come on Ducati please........:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all
The overheating thing is a concern
My commute is So Cal22Fwy and 57 Fwy Both with Carpool lanes
And some lane splitting involved everyday
I have always stuck to water cooled for that reason
It is comfortable though

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Now that you detailed your experiences I can add one remedy, a better windscreen. Wind protection is a big issue on the Multistrada website, the stock screen basically sucks. There are many options available and many opinions to go with them, but I found the latest upgrade to the MRA Vario windscreen to be a great improvement for me over stock. What it did do that annoyed the crap out of me was wind buffeting. It stopped it dead in its tracks. Not many if any windscreens totally stop wind from hitting you and that depends on where it hits you anyway. I catch it in the helmet and shoulders mostly, but the MRA has a variable spoiler you can adjust to fit. The touring ZG didn't do it as you know, but it sure is pretty!

After this discussion I honestly believe now the best bike for my needs is also the ST, I think it affords much better wind protection because you are hunkered down slightly behind various screen designs. Its not the sport bike ergo, which is unacceptable for long rides, but just enough for comfort and aggressive riding if you desire. I think for commuting the ST would be my choice and also for sport touring. After going on the Mono Lake overnighter and seeing Scotts ST4s perform, looks like an ST is in my future since I did sell the Multi. Don't get me wrong, its a great bike but I now think the ST would be a better fit for me. Its also nice to know there are many choices out there in the ST range with many options. Inadvertently this thread has served me well. Actually, I was looking for both the ST and MTS and the MTS opportunity came up first. Lastly, I think Ducati's new Multi is a compromise between the ST and current Multi. I agree with you Jon, an improved ST would be fantastic, this has been wished for by numerous ST owners. The previous models just didn't have the few extra improvements it needed to draw in sport tour buyers. Unfortunately, any future bike in the desmo config will still be required to have the 7.5K services, it you don't do them yourself it can get really expensive if your inclined to putting on a lot of miles. Your an authority on this topic as well Jon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was very disappointed with the wind protection when I demo'd one too
I think from the responses I got that I'm still looking
Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Yea, unfortunately for me personally, I'm still undecided in a course of action. I spent the better part of the past two days shopping ST stuff and the bike just doesn't do it for me. I don't want a Duc that I can't stand in the garage with for hours on end. Currently leaning towards something in the BMW lineup for sure, but Kawazaki has that one big touring/ST machine (forgot the name) that's supposed to be a great bike. Either way, my Multi has a limited livespan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts