Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, sorry for the n00b question but wondering if there is a listing of the changes to the Multistrada by model year?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey all, sorry for the n00b question but wondering if there is a listing of the changes to the Multistrada by model year?

Thanks in advance.
That's the simple version of a table you need:
before 2010 they was ugly
From 2010 to 2014 they was beautiful
And after 2015 and they became ugly again.

Moreover, if we discuss a beautiful version: after 2013 they added one bolt for a windshield and a one spark plug for each cylinder.

So, it's the all wisdom you are really need to know! :)

·
Super Moderator
8,239 Posts
2003 - 2017 - Best roadbike EVAAAA!!!!!

Nah, just kidding.
2003 - 2006 came with the 1000DS Engine or the anemic (from 2004) 620. 2v. FUGLY design, but a fun ride.
2007 - 2009 came with the better 1100 2v Engine. Either S Öhlins or non-S. 620cc is discontinued
2010 - 2012 GEN2 came out with either Öhlins S or non Electronic suspension. Single spark 1200 Engine that is STILL the highest HP producer of all MTS models.
2013 - 2014 GEN2 came with a weaker, but smoother dual spark 1200 Engine and skyhook S suspension or non Active normal suspension
2015 -> Gen 3, current MTS that has the DVT Engine, skyhook suspension and a shitload more "cool to talk about" stuff. 2016 the Enduro came out and 2017 sees the 950 aswell as the 1200 enduro PRO

That is probably the "big" Picture. Mionor Changes have happened I´m sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is a nice used '14 ST for sale with 10K miles. Is there anything to look out for if I was interested? I'm looking at moving into the MS community.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That's the simple version of a table you need:
before 2010 they was ugly
From 2010 to 2014 they was beautiful
And after 2015 and they became ugly again.

Moreover, if we discuss a beautiful version: after 2013 they added one bolt for a windshield and a one spark plug for each cylinder.

So, it's the all wisdom you are really need to know! :)
A good start... :p

2003 - 2017 - Best roadbike EVAAAA!!!!!

Nah, just kidding.
2003 - 2006 came with the 1000DS Engine or the anemic (from 2004) 620. 2v. FUGLY design, but a fun ride.
2007 - 2009 came with the better 1100 2v Engine. Either S Öhlins or non-S. 620cc is discontinued
2010 - 2012 GEN2 came out with either Öhlins S or non Electronic suspension. Single spark 1200 Engine that is STILL the highest HP producer of all MTS models.
2013 - 2014 GEN2 came with a weaker, but smoother dual spark 1200 Engine and skyhook S suspension or non Active normal suspension
2015 -> Gen 3, current MTS that has the DVT Engine, skyhook suspension and a shitload more "cool to talk about" stuff. 2016 the Enduro came out and 2017 sees the 950 aswell as the 1200 enduro PRO

That is probably the "big" Picture. Mionor Changes have happened I´m sure.
Perfect-- thank you.

2010 was the start of 15k mi service intervals?

·
Super Moderator
8,239 Posts
A good start...

Perfect-- thank you.

2010 was the start of 15k mi service intervals?
Yupp. And 3 year cambelt.

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
There is a nice used '14 ST for sale with 10K miles. Is there anything to look out for if I was interested? I'm looking at moving into the MS community.
Make sure:
The forks don't "clunk" when topping out (Skyhook)
Fuel Sensor works, these are a very common failure item
heated grips work, if equipped.
both keys Fob & Red one
Ideally aftermarket exhaust with tune.
Chain, Sprockets, bearings, tires, the usual stuff

The skyhook is pretty great, some riders will say it is unnecessary and not as good as well sorted regular suspension; the Skyhook shines when one day you ride solo without bags, then another day two-up loaded with everything but the kitchen sink and the bike feels and handles the same. :)

The 2013-2014 with the 2 spark engine are great bikes. I've got a 2013 with the Termi and Upmap and it runs like a dream. If I were shopping for a MTS I would be looking 2013-14, but I would not pass up a good deal on one of the earlier models with the electronic Ohlins

t_bare

Reactions: RoadRider13

·
Registered
108 Posts
i believe there are even more specific changes each year, but i'm not sure where to find a more specific breakdown.

for instance, the 2017 MTS has a different airbox design, or so i've read in these pages. Probably, also, there have been upteen different fuel sensors and fueling maps. i wonder what the other updates have been.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Aha, several MTS experts here. That's fantastic because I have a burning question : will MTS 1200 cylinders and heads fit a MTS 1100S crankcase ? I am building a Duc café racer with 996 frame, and 2V MTS 1100S empty crankcase already mounted into that frame. I already have a pair of nice 1000/1100 con rods, but still need the rest of the engine parts to build up the engine. So if an easy upgrade to 1200 cc's is possible, why not ?

·
AARP Reject
2,926 Posts
Aha, several MTS experts here. That's fantastic because I have a burning question : will MTS 1200 cylinders and heads fit a MTS 1100S crankcase ? I am building a Duc café racer with 996 frame, and 2V MTS 1100S empty crankcase already mounted into that frame. I already have a pair of nice 1000/1100 con rods, but still need the rest of the engine parts to build up the engine. So if an easy upgrade to 1200 cc's is possible, why not ?
Completely different design. Not a chance of making this happen in any possible way that makes sense. DOHC for the 1200, SOHC for the 2009 and earlier bikes. Liquid cooling for the 1200, air cooled for previous models. It might be made to fit, but it can not be made to work. There are supposed to be no silly questions, just silly answers, but if a question ever did qualify as silly....this might be it!

·
Registered
209 Posts
My local dealer has promised me a great deal on a 2016 still new-in-the-crate MTS1200S.

IIRC, the 2017 saw a revised airbox to try to take care of the torque dip. I have ridden their demo 2016 and can certainly feel the torque dip at around 5,000 rpm but only in sport mode when I am really on the gas. I did not try this in touring mode so maybe it isn't so bad. Unfortunately I cannot properly ride the bike again until snow melts and that may take a while. In other words, I'll have no problem buying a 2016 UNLESS the 2017 is "much improved" in this regard. I won't trust any magazine as Ducati likely tells the to ignore the torque curve when it was an issue but if suddenly there is a fix they want the press to tell the world. Witness the release of the 1260 where Ducati displayed overlapping charts clearly demonstrating the new bike's flatter torque curve. But a good deal on a 2016 that will save me thousands over a new 2018 may be too good to pass up.

I guess I should also ask, can you retrofit the 2017 airbox to the 2016 and will it make a difference. I have to say I can't see how an air box would affect torque so drastically. The fact that the torque curve picks up again to me says there is something more seriously flawed with the entire system. Maybe change the air box, delete the catalytic converter, add a free flowing muffler and install a new ECU and you may solve the issue.

NC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts