Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people out there. I'm new on this site and was looking for some advice from the clever ones amongst us :)

I have just purchased a 2010 Multistrada 1200 S and am having problems with the battery life. The battery was replaced by the previous owner about 3 months ago he told me so surprised it went flat so soon after only standing for 4 days without being used. I put my optimate III on it to bring it back to life but the charger is saying effectively that the battery is defunked.

Any recommendations for a particular replacement battery and any thoughts of what could cause this or is it an inherent thing with Ducati's!!!! (I also have a 748 which doesn't give the same problem)

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yikes 4 days only and battery poked. Definitely not right. I travel away alot and my last trip the bike went 6 weeks without a charger connected and it fired up first time. Either your battery is a dud or something is draining it.. Maybe replace battery first, if it still drains then you know..

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm not sure about the 2010 MTS but the later versions have the "active" immobilizer that is a constant drain (albeit not a lot). I replaced the battery in my 2016 MTS ( not because it needed it but because I had a spare) with a Lithium battery. Extremely slow discharge rate, higher capacity, lighter, etc. etc. It cranks the twin much better as well. I had it in my 2012 Diavel and never had any problems but they are more expensive.

If you need to have some "coverage" in case of a quick failure, try Walmart ( those batteries are made by Johnson Controls) and there's a Walmart on every corner in every town in the US!!!!

Cheers, D

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
If you can manage to operate a multimeter, you can measure current inline with one of the battery leads in the parked configuration. Don't turn the bike on while the meter is inline. Then you can calculate how long your battery should manage the drain. 4 days is suspiciously low. You should get a reading in milliamps and compare it with the amp hours of the battery. A HF giveaway meter will suffice but don't expect it to be very accurate. Another alternative is to charge the battery and then take it to a battery shop or auto parts stores that can test it for you. That, however, will not tell you if your bike has an excessive drain.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Never believe a previous owner. You need to learn for yourself if you actually have an issue or if he installed a half dead battery he had laying around to make the sale without buying a new one.

t_bare

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm away now for a couple of weeks and have left it on trickle charge so will check and test when I get back.
Once I've done the checks I will put you all out if your suspense and let you know the outcome.

Thanks

Farrman

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would also make sure that the battery that the previous owner installed has the water amount set correctly in the cells. If it is in fact a wet cell battery. The local auto parts stores sell them dry and you have to put the liquid in and charge prior to use.

If its an AGM battery you may find that the optimate 4 through 6 work better than the 3 as an AGM battery likes to be charged with a bit more power than the 3 puts out.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to let everyone know who gave advice. The trickle charging has worked and no more battery issues. Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Just to let everyone know who gave advice. The trickle charging has worked and no more battery issues. Thanks for all the advice.
Oh thank fuk, the suspense was killing me.:wink2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts