Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Testing the ADV Sport waters for a change & am looking at a sorted out 2010 Multistrada w/ less than 20K miles to use as a commuter bike(<15 miles per day R.T.) & weekend stress reliever(>400 miles roughly 10-12 wknds per year). Bike will be used 9-10 months outta the year, sometimes during the winter when the road condition/weather allows.

yea or nay?

regular normal maintenance or high maint. issues?

$6.5k is my limit for the bike

The bike is at a Clinton County, Ohio Multi-line Motorsport dealer.

thanks for your input

·
Registered
149 Posts
I commute daily 10 miles round trip with my 36k mi 2011 MTS. Probably go through clutches a lot faster than most with 10 miles of stoplights each day, but it's never let me down. The biggest issue I've found is getting the engine warm enough to burn off the condensation in my motor. The oil sight glass looks pretty cloudy after a week or 2 of 20 degree 10 mile commutes. I also put big miles on occasionally throughout the year as time allow. The bike is versatile - it handles short commutes as well as big weekends for me. Although I'm sure I'm doing it a disservice only riding it a few miles a day. Your MPG will stink for sure.

Still a bit out of my price range, but I'm thinking about picking up a Zero to handle commuting duty...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought a pristine 2010 S touring with 4000 on the clock a few months back. I have managed about 1000 miles with shoulder surgery in the mix. Fantastic bike, and I would not hesitate to use it for commuting or anything else.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've clocked up almost 30K km in 2 years on my 2014 MTS GT. Daily commute is around 100km (60mi) mostly country road riding. The Multi is fantastic as a country commuter.
My only gripe is the high cost of servicing (Desmo service and oil service almost once a year)

I have a fartbox KLE-500 that I also commute on (during the better weather) It is a little more economical and a WHOLE lot cheaper to maintain/register/insure but is FAR from comfortable compared to the Multi.

If my wallet didn't matter I'd have rid myself of the KLE-500 a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
Only concern would be if you're cost sensitive then make sure you factor in maintenance... I spend an average of $1500-$2k a year on maintenance and consumables excluding fuel... but I also put on a lot of miles - 12,000 or so.

Reactions: Wolverine1

·
Registered
577 Posts
Beware low mileage 2010 Multis. It was the first year of the total redesign, and while most of them were fine, there were a significant minority that had electrical gremlins. A short test ride will not always be enough to uncover such problems. Say what you will about high mileage motorcycles, but I've yet to meet the person who will put 10k miles a year on a bike with dodgy electrics.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I say scratch that itch!
DaveK's words are wise though. Maint cost can be higher than you are used to if this is your first Duc. But let me just say, you will not regret it one bit! I bought a '10 w/ 18k on the clock. I absolutely love the bike. Comfortable for the long haul and take it to the twistys and have your way with her!!

Fully loaded up side and top cases, wife in tow.

21077757_10209066651776116_1620931111018071315_n.jpg

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I love my bike - problems and all - but there is one problem that if I hadn't managed to fix, I would have sold it long ago, and it's something you should be ready for. The rear brakes on many Ducati models - including the one you are looking at - are often useless. If you aren't expecting it, the lack of a rear brake can be unnerving. Just a heads-up.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have a fully functioning rear brake and can lock up my rear tire (or trigger abs) at will. If you find the bike you're looking at has a weak one, There are a few step you can take to solve the issue. Don't let that sway your decision. And I didn't spend much on the resolution. Bought a '13 master cyl w/ angled outlet and larger diameter bore, put a bleeder on the rear circuit ABS pump and EBC HH pads. Key is getting an air free bleed and I believe that is where most of the issues are. I refresh my fluid every spring and I ride all season with a firm rear pedal.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ducati still aren't there in terms of reliability like the Jap bikes, expect a issue to take you off the road every 8,000 - 10,000 miles for a week at a time.

Also as mention the service costs are high if you didn't get a plan.

Great bikes, when everything is good they are the pinnacle of riding, when they are broke they suck ass.

My thoughts after 42,000 miles on a 2016 ENDURO from new, with 5 weeks in the shop.

Best bet is to have a backup bike, ended up buying a KTM 690 for these down times and dirt rides :smile2:

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Beware low mileage 2010 Multis. It was the first year of the total redesign, and while most of them were fine, there were a significant minority that had electrical gremlins. A short test ride will not always be enough to uncover such problems. Say what you will about high mileage motorcycles, but I've yet to meet the person who will put 10k miles a year on a bike with dodgy electrics.
Anti freeze erosion. If there are maintenance records for the bike, make sure the antifreeze recall was done early on. If so, that shouldn't be a concern. IIRC, the early electrical gremlins involved the hands free and steering lock. There were also some issues with rear shock ECUs. My guess is that these would have already been sorted out on a 2010 bike that is still in service.

EDIT: I traded my early 2010 multi for a 2012, which is still my main bike. Reliable as a stone, and a blast to ride.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I've ridden my multi as a commuter for 2 seasons. I've always owned sportbikes, but as I approached 50 got tired of the riding position and lack of ability to carry anything larger than a sandwich. The multi is comfortable, smooth, reasonably fuel efficient as a commuter, it makes for a great touring bike, and when the urge hits to ride the twisties or even the track it never disappoints. Great all-around bike. As others have noted, it's a first-gen model - first year the multi got the water-cooled desmoquattro engine. If maintenance recalls were done, you should be good to go. I've owned multiple Ducatis, once a model is established I don't think the maintenance is any worse than other similar high-performance bikes.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That's about what i do with mine, never went on s trip with it since GF doesn't like the fit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Another reason to beware of low mileage Multis is that a lot of 2010-2011's had there dashboards replaced under warranty . Ducati dealers could not set the new odometers to the actual mileage reading on the old dash. So they all started out with zero miles again. I would check with a dealer if they can run the vin # to see if dash was replaced. I know I had over 10,000 miles on mine when it was replaced.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anti freeze erosion. If there are maintenance records for the bike, make sure the antifreeze recall was done early on. If so, that shouldn't be a concern. IIRC, the early electrical gremlins involved the hands free and steering lock. There were also some issues with rear shock ECUs. My guess is that these would have already been sorted out on a 2010 bike that is still in service.

EDIT: I traded my early 2010 multi for a 2012, which is still my main bike. Reliable as a stone, and a blast to ride.
I had two different Ducati dealers run the VIN before I purchasded my 2010. All recalls taken care of, and maintenance done ahead of schedule,(due to low mileage.) They were able to confirm that the original instrument panel had been replaced at 4,000 miles. The bike runs perfectly and handles like a dream. S touring model. I spend 90% of my time in sport mode.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I don't own a 2010, but I've been in the process of rebuilding two 14's that were "totaled" by insurance. One I had running and riding within 3 hours of delivery, the second was low sided and the right side fairings and other stuff is getting sourced and replaced as I can find stuff. We're in the middle of a mild (so far!) winter here in CO, but I have been riding at every opportunity because it's so much fun. I don't even care if I have nowhere to go, I'll just go out and "practice", figure eights and tight turns in parking lots, panic stop practices, did a little canyon riding last Friday, whatever. FWIW, I have been riding for over 50 years, mostly BMW's and a couple of old Triumphs, and this 14 MTS is the most fun I have ever had on a bike. You can dance with it. Sure they have their quirks, but the handling, power and relative comfort of the riding position is in the best set of compromises I have ever run into. Plus you have found a unique and very valuable resource right here to help you understand your new mistress. Get the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,259 Posts
I commute 75 miles a day when weather permits (maybe 70% of the time from May to Sept... 30% in April and October). I'd guess I have more commuting miles on my 15 than other types of riding (touring and playing).

The bike has never been anything but stupid fun for any kind of riding... it's also been very reliable over all 46000 miles. There have been lots of "European bike niggles" but only one actual issue (related to the throttle) that didn't strand me but required a trip to the dealer to sort.

·
Geriatric Junior Member
1 Posts
Wouldn't hesitate to purchase a Multistrada for commute and/or touring

Although I haven't owned a 2010 MTS, I had a 2009 and now own a 2016 Multistrada. Both bikes handle like a dream and are comfortable on long rides. I had some problems with the electrics on the 2010 but so far the 2016 has been reliable. I can't think of a better bike for sport touring and I wouldn't hesitate to ride one on a daily commute.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
I had two different Ducati dealers run the VIN before I purchasded my 2010. All recalls taken care of, and maintenance done ahead of schedule,(due to low mileage.) They were able to confirm that the original instrument panel had been replaced at 4,000 miles. The bike runs perfectly and handles like a dream. S touring model. I spend 90% of my time in sport mode.
Self imposed Urban rider in town these days. Sport mode only in the boonies. Got tired of the damn tickets!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts