Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How quiet (or loud) is your Multistrada 1200/1260 DVT exhaust system?
Here's an opportunity to put numbers to your after-market system in an effort to assist those looking at replacing their stock exhaust.
Let's differentiate the good from the bad and ugly...or whatever you prefer.

To do so, we require a base-line standard such as SAE J2825.
Using the following methodology:
The decibels are measured at an angle of 45°, same height and 20 inches from the exhaust. Idle and 2000 rpm (for a twin) and preferably in an area without resonance.

Using SAE J2825, a stock 1260 Pikes Peak obtained the following reading with my Radio Shack Decibel Meter as shown:
87 db at idle
About 90db at 2000 rpm.

No sound meter? No worries. There are many sound meter apps available for both Android and iPhone.
For your convenience, I previously calibrated the (3) free apps on my android phone to coincide with my analogue sound meter as follows:
Sound Meter app: +10 db
Decibel Meter app: +14 db
Decibel X app +2 db

I particularly like the first two on my list but they do require calibration (to a known sound level) before using. Decibel X was just about right "as is" (it was only off by 2 db's) but has a lot of advertising.

Be sure to state what system you have installed: Cat-less, Slip-on, Full Sys, Make, Model etc.
Keep in mind that deviation from SAE J2825 will substantially alter your results. The devil is in the details.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2010 1200MTS has a Leo Vince mid pipe, Termignoni tip and a fully dyno tuned map using Tuneboy.

It was 96dB at idle, 102dB at 2000 rpm and when I crack the throttle and it hits 7500rpm or so...... it hits 124dB!!!!

Needless to say it's very hard to idle around and be quiet.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Mike, I can relate to that. I became interested in sound levels a few years ago when LEO initiated a road-side testing program. I was concerned that my Monster with a de-cat SC-Project exhaust would not pass without its baffle.
Consequently, I compared its sound level "back to back" with my stock Panigale. I figured that if it wasn't any louder than the stock 959 Pani, i'd have the legal high ground. Turns-out the Monster (which is loud @ 97 ~ +100db) was not any louder than the stock Panigale. Go figure? Not sure about the new V4's but Panigale v-twins are loud, right off the showroom floor!
According to the following table, a stock 2016 Panigale 959 is twice as loud as a stock 2018 Multistrada 1260 at both idle and 2000 rpm.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts