Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Does anyone know what really change on the bike using for instance sport mode and selecting these two different modes:

1- Rider + passenger
Or
2- Rider + passenger + luggage

Does the bike become higher with mode 2? Harder than mode 1? Front and read? Only rear?

I found this scheme but I am not sure if it's for the 2014 or 2016 model

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yeah, I think the table must be for the 2014, 'cause on the 2015 higher pre-load numbers mean more pre-load. Such a table for the 2015 would be very useful and should be in the manual frankly.

Reactions: tenn_bate

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Yeah, I think the table must be for the 2014, 'cause on the 2015 higher pre-load numbers mean more pre-load. Such a table for the 2015 would be very useful and should be in the manual frankly.
That's correct; the table above is for the Ohlins DES (pre Skyhook) kit where the numbers were inverse/reverse scale (lower numbers meant higher settings, higher numbers meant lower settings, i.e., 1 was the highest amount of preload or rebound available).

Hi

Does anyone know what really change on the bike using for instance sport mode and selecting these two different modes:

1- Rider + passenger
Or
2- Rider + passenger + luggage

Does the bike become higher with mode 2? Harder than mode 1? Front and read? Only rear?
Yes, in essence, only the rear is being electronically raised via the Skyhook preload adjustment, the front preload is adjusted manually at the right fork tube. Higher to compensate for the added rider/cargo weight, not necessarily harder. The ride quality (soft/hard lets say) is adjusted electronically via the (rebound/compression) damping settings in the suspension on screen menu shown below.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I did set the suspension in those modes.. I just wonder what really change in the bike using the ofer set.. Rider, rider + passenger, + luggage
Will be higher on the rear suspension?

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Yes I did set the suspension in those modes.. I just wonder what really change in the bike using the ofer set.. Rider, rider + passenger, + luggage
Will be higher on the rear suspension?
Again, yes. When you change to rider + pillion, rider + baggage, rider + pillion + baggage, the REAR preload will change (increase in height, factory determined) to suit the different load conditions.

from Ducati,

"Rear suspension spring preload adjustment is integrated with the Riding Modes. The system enables the rider to select the different Riding Modes (Sport, Touring, Urban and Enduro), and to change setup conveniently and quickly to suit load conditions and type of trip: riding solo, rider and luggage, riding two-up or two-up with luggage. The DSS recognises customised settings and re-tunes accordingly before starting interaction."

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I tested with more attention and I felt the bike lifting from the riding mode "rider" to "rider+passenger" but from "rider+passenger" to "rider+passenger+luggage" can't see any difference in high.. Maybe it will be harder?

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
^ good that you can either see or hear the rear shock working.....i don't know how much it's supposed to change from rider+pillion to rider+pillion+luggage but in theory it should (given the increased cargo weight).

Reactions: Redfire

·
Registered
387 Posts
^ good that you can either see or hear the rear shock working.....i don't know how much it's supposed to change from rider+pillion to rider+pillion+luggage but in theory it should (given the increased cargo weight).
I believe that once you hit the max preload there's nowhere to go -- I think that max might be hit with rider plus pillion and so adding luggage doesn't change the preload but it might change other settings.

At least that's what I recall on my 2014...YMMV

Reactions: oalvarez

·
Registered
2 Posts
New Ducati owner here, first post. So I just bought a used 2014 Multistrada 1200 S GT, and it seems nothing I do to the bike produces the servo noises in the rear shock. I am also not getting any errors on the screen. Is it time for a trip to the shop?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Check to see if the shock is the stock one? Previous owner may have swapped for manual adjust. Not sure how they would have negated throwing a code though. Skyhook on my 2015 is kinda nice, but the method of adjusting via the dash is pretty clunky. It would be easier if you could just adjust preload and damping without the pre-defined modes which bias the starting values so the numbers are different for each mode. Just my $0.02-

·
Registered
33 Posts
New Ducati owner here, first post. So I just bought a used 2014 Multistrada 1200 S GT, and it seems nothing I do to the bike produces the servo noises in the rear shock. I am also not getting any errors on the screen. Is it time for a trip to the shop?
Try disconnecting the battery for a minute then re-connect, you should hear the rear shock go through the recalibration . It can take some time so make sure the battery has a good charge in it. You will also have to reset the date, but it will tell you if it is working or not

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks guys, appreciate the responses! As far as I can tell everything is stock on the bike.

I did try disconnecting the battery as well just to see if it does the DSS calibration at startup, but no calibration message shows up (vid below). Again, adjusting the preload and changing the luggage, pillion settings doesn't produce any noise or movement in the rear shock. I took a video, and a picture of the wiring underneath the seat. I have two cables that are not connected to anything. I'm wondering if that has something to do with it?
Bike startup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts