Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
North Carolina, USA
3,293 Posts
I have a 2010 Touring (black one) its nearly done 70,000 Ks, other than getting the front ohlins fork tube and base replaced, the throttle housing, and originally the coolant changed, all covered by warranty, the bike has been faultless, I've even thrashed it on the track. Luck of the sum of the parts i guess.
The good news is that there are probably many more bikes out there that have been as trouble free as yours.

I haven't had quite as good luck as you, especially with the '10, which required a top end rebuild from antifreeze erosion. The '12 has been flawless with the exception of failing heated grips, and a blown fork seal, both covered under warranty. 17k miles now, and I'd take it anywhere without worrying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2015 multi s with 19000 miles, flawless, starts when its cold with no problem, great bike, just did the warranty recalls and tires as needed but no problems, would take it anywhere

·
Registered
835 Posts
The good news is that there are probably many more bikes out there that have been as trouble free as yours.

I haven't had quite as good luck as you, especially with the '10, which required a top end rebuild from antifreeze erosion. The '12 has been flawless with the exception of failing heated grips, and a blown fork seal, both covered under warranty. 17k miles now, and I'd take it anywhere without worrying.
Since i recently brought a 1290 GT, I've had 3 mates make me offers on my multistrada, I've been tempted and looked around on what i could spend the dosh on, but 400Ks of back country windy bumy hilly, you name it, the Multi mowed it down, no sweet, i love this bike for all its warts,its a great motorcycle, about 10 weeks back, i had a big crash on the GT, and broke a few bones, then 3 weeks out of the cast i was out on my 640 motard with 2 mates caning up the back roads then onto a long gravel section, where, yip i came off on the gravel, a few more bumps and bruises, but just minor, that shook my confidence quite a bit. but out with the same boys caning the same back roads in the weekend on the multi, and my confidence came roaring back, ducati front ends are sweet for inspiring confidence, i had been freaking a bit thinking id lost my nerve, but my trusty duc brought it back in spades.:smile2:

·
Registered
117 Posts
2016 DVT - 3 months old with 2200Ks on the clock.

The bike is a bugger to start at times. First thing in the morning she will turn over but only fires reluctantly. The first couple of times it catches it will idle at very low revs for a couple of seconds and then shut down.
Have to turn the bike off and leave it a little bit and try again. A little bit of throttle once it catches seems to keep it running (barely) until the engine warms up a bit.
Had its first service and was reported as a problem - nothing found by the techs and nothing to indicate a potential problem from Ducati Italy
I've had this happen a couple times. I wonder if it's a throttle calibration issue. The fix I found is to cycle the ignition and then try restarting it. Don't just keep cranking it. You will flood the engine, and then it's a real pain to start.

The bike has been excellent after the first couple months of ownership. Software updates and a fuel level sensor replacement have fixed any issues.
The bike keeps up with the cruisers on long slogs and then I can rip up the twisties with any sportbike. I really can't think of any bike at any price that I'd even consider replacing the Multi with.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
I've had this happen a couple times. I wonder if it's a throttle calibration issue. The fix I found is to cycle the ignition and then try restarting it. Don't just keep cranking it. You will flood the engine, and then it's a real pain to start.

The bike has been excellent after the first couple months of ownership. Software updates and a fuel level sensor replacement have fixed any issues.
The bike keeps up with the cruisers on long slogs and then I can rip up the twisties with any sportbike. I really can't think of any bike at any price that I'd even consider replacing the Multi with.
First year on my 2015 that happened about 4 or 5 times... second year my throttle failed (TPS) and was replaced under warranty and it's not happened since (in 7,000 miles). Sooo... there's a decent chance it's the throttle position sensor.

I posted when I was fighting the issue with a procedure that was pretty effective at getting the bike started... basically the same as yours. VERY light throttle to get the bike started (too much will flood), held after start to prevent the bike from stalling (won't idle) or better yet get moving straight away but expect the bike to not run great for a minute or two (go easy on it).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Engine light came on 1000 miles?

Went for a ride today (4/8/17), engine light came on around 1000 miles I was about 60 miles from home when this happened. I pulled over, shut bike off, waited about 5 minutes, turned bike back on, light stayed on. Oil level is fine. Read the owners manual, it tells me very little regarding reasons for light. I started bike and it sounded fine, no strange noises or smoke so I nursed it home. The bike sounded fine and ran fine all the way home, no lose in horsepower or anything strange but light stayed on the entire way home. I parked bike, went out 2 hours later, turned bike back on and light is still on. I snapped a picture for you to see. I have an appointment next Saturday for the 600 mile service but am worried about riding it another 130 miles to dealership w/o knowing whats wrong. :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
Looks like an oil reset is required .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sco, I'm hoping it's something as simple as that. I have the 600 mile service set for next Saturday 4/15/17, sent the email to my dealer as well to see what they say and want me to do...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just a short call:
In my opinion the #Disasterbike Ducati is a real bug; advertised as 160 HP, registered in the country here in Europe with official 150 HP,
tested real 127HP.
my 2015 Multistrada 1200S is more at the service than riding, too much to share here, wrote a couple of posts on this topic earlier.
Im going to take the case to court.
The last service was at 10thsd miles and took the dealership. ..
6 months! To give me my bike back, just to pick it up again after doing 30 miles!
It's the biggest failure Ducati ever sold.
I owned several MTS, this one was my last one.
And surely my last Ducati!
Informed the CEO of Ducati, he tried to support but at the end-
It stays as my Problem.
The worst purchase i did in a life time.
You need more Infos, give me a short notice on PM.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sco, I'm hoping it's something as simple as that. I have the 600 mile service set for next Saturday 4/15/17, sent the email to my dealer as well to see what they say and want me to do...
Wait, what? If you haven't had the 600mi service done, that's the light you get telling you to go have the 600mi service done. Nothing more complicated than that.

Or am I misunderstanding the issue?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Went for a ride today (4/8/17), engine light came on around 1000 miles I was about 60 miles from home when this happened. I pulled over, shut bike off, waited about 5 minutes, turned bike back on, light stayed on. Oil level is fine. Read the owners manual, it tells me very little regarding reasons for light. I started bike and it sounded fine, no strange noises or smoke so I nursed it home. The bike sounded fine and ran fine all the way home, no lose in horsepower or anything strange but light stayed on the entire way home. I parked bike, went out 2 hours later, turned bike back on and light is still on. I snapped a picture for you to see. I have an appointment next Saturday for the 600 mile service but am worried about riding it another 130 miles to dealership w/o knowing whats wrong. :confused:
This is totally normal. I think you missed a page or two in the manual. See the attached pages 161 and 162.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wait, what? If you haven't had the 600mi service done, that's the light you get telling you to go have the 600mi service done. Nothing more complicated than that.

Or am I misunderstanding the issue?
Hey Porkrind, thanks for the feedback. Dealership called me today. The service light is already on so I asked about the light coming on because the service hadn't been done yet, he stated no, the lights on for a different reason and needs to be hooked up to the diagnostic machine to figure it out. Most likely it's a sensor gone bad. Dealership said I need to call the roadside assistance and they will call dealership and they will come pick it up and take care of it. :grin2: Hoping for the best...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hey Porkrind, thanks for the feedback. Dealership called me today. The service light is already on so I asked about the light coming on because the service hadn't been done yet, he stated no, the lights on for a different reason and needs to be hooked up to the diagnostic machine to figure it out. Most likely it's a sensor gone bad. Dealership said I need to call the roadside assistance and they will call dealership and they will come pick it up and take care of it. :grin2: Hoping for the best...
That's really... strange. That's not the warning you get for a diagnostic code. That's just the oil change light. Interest d to hear what they say.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Gents, while we're on this "oil service" topic, can anyone tell me how to reset the Oil service indicator? I change my own oil, and my oil service indicator is showing 300 miles (next oil change) when I first start it up.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I think that only a dealer can help you with turning the light out unless there is a GS-911-type device on the market for Ducatis. The GS-911 is a tool for BMW boxers that allows you to read error codes (ala OBD-II for cars). I really wish the U.S. would require OBD-II for motorcycles so we didn't have to go to the dealer to make these lights go out. Motorcycles are nearly as complicated as cars these days so it makes sense, to me at least.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have had my Multi for about 10 months, have 5500 miles on it. Ducati replaced the side stand under a recall, did the ECU update for the fueling issue and the only problem i have had was that the fuel tank sensor failed at about 4500 miles - replaced under warranty. build and quality seems to be excellent.
These are the only issues I've had with my 2015.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 MTS purchased Oct 2016, 17,000 miles. Left hard saddlebag had issues locking onto bike. Repaired under warranty. One year later same issue. Out of warranty. Fork seal leaking-out of warranty. Fuel gauge failed at zero, repaired out of warranty. August 30th, about 50 days ago, bike would lose power and backfire when accelerating. Limped home, and had bike trailered to dealer next day. Diagnostic after diagnostic and dealer to Ducati communication and still no bike. No warranty. No replacement bike. Not good.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
First year on my 2015 that happened about 4 or 5 times... second year my throttle failed (TPS) and was replaced under warranty and it's not happened since (in 7,000 miles). Sooo... there's a decent chance it's the throttle position sensor.

I posted when I was fighting the issue with a procedure that was pretty effective at getting the bike started... basically the same as yours. VERY light throttle to get the bike started (too much will flood), held after start to prevent the bike from stalling (won't idle) or better yet get moving straight away but expect the bike to not run great for a minute or two (go easy on it).
Thread necromancy... but a couple years further on and that starting issue has not come back.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts