Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This post is directed to all Multistrada 2015 & 2016 owners. May I please request some honest feedback?

Please be so kind as to share the following information:

A.) For those who are happy with your bikes and who are lucky enough to have not experienced major issues:
1.) Please indicate how long have you had your 2015/2016 Multi and how many Miles or Kilometres you have done?

B.) For those who experienced major mechanical or operational problems/issues with their bikes. Would you please be so kind as to share the following information:
(The problems/issues I am referring to does not include those caused by accident or negligence.)

1.) What happened?
2.) Mileage and age of bike?
3.) What was the root cause?
4.) How was the problem resolved?
5.) Are you satisfied that the problem is now completely resolved? If not, what is your concern?
6.) How long were you without the bike and did it take them to resolve the problem?
7.) Were you offered a loan bike by your dealer?
8.) Did the bike break down on you while riding or did the problem occur when you started the bike?
9.) Did the bike leave you stranded?

I have an issue with my wife's bike. It is in for major repair work and the bike is brand new. My 2015 Multi also has issues. It is not as serious as the other bike. I am however concerned about the build quality of these bikes. I have owned numerous bikes, I therefore have a realistic expectation and perfection is not what I am after. I hope and pray these things are just teething problems but I am not so sure. Common sense tells me that if a crank main bearing retaining spring clip dislodges and travels through the timing gears this cannot be good.
Another recent post I have seen, someone also mentions that the radiator hose failed and this may have caused the bike to overheat.
I cannot afford to spend months on end trying to sort problem after problem. There is also the risk of breakdown. In SA, unlike in other countries you can pay with your life if you breakdown in the wrong spot. My hope is that most of you Multi 2015/16 owners out there do not have major issues and that I can look forward to trouble free riding.

·
Registered
157 Posts
A.) No big problem, small problems solved, April 2008, > 8.000 km.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2015s electronics

I have a 2015 S model- has about 14k on it. I haven't had any major problems but have had some potentially problematic electronic problems. When the bike had a couple thousand kilometers on it we were riding 2 up and had a cpu malfunction. I took off hard from a stop sign and the bike suddenly dropped all power, the dash lit up with warning lights, and the suspension went really soft causing the front end to drop suddenly. I pulled over and powered it on and off a few times which turned off some of the lights but still had an engine light and I think an abs light was still on. Decided to drive it home after checking what I could. It was running in a limp mode(low power and no cruise control). After about 1/2 hour I could hear the engine suddenly perk up again and the cruise started working - all was normal. The dealership did a cpu flash and I haven't had a second incident although every now and then the cruise will just quit working until I cycle the ignition.
Other than that the only problem I had repaired was a faulty fuel gauge. The dealership was very good but no loaner bike.

Still smiling after every ride

·
Registered
869 Posts
Bought mine back in May of 2015, VIN #1000.

Having multiple bikes, I've only managed to rack up a little over 6000 miles.

I've had all the minor teething issues and recalls, fuel sender, side stand, map update, trip resets, etc...

I've had two other issues, I had a fork seal go on my right fork leg and in super heavy rain my throttle quit working. This one happened about 65 miles from home and I was only able to ride at about 35mph with no actual throttle control. The bikes rpm's would max out at about 3500 and so I crawled back home. A new throttle assembly was fitted, that took a week to arrive from Italy. When the original throttle dried out, it worked fine, but the dealership replaced it.

I've found the Ducati service and responsiveness to be excellent. I think a lot of this is down to the dealership working with Ducati.

I'm fortunate that my dealership is only 15 miles away, is a Ducati only shop and is ranked as one of the best in the USA.

I know they've gone out of their way to actually pick up customers bikes where necessary.

So far, I love riding this bike that I can deal with a bit of inconvenience. My bikes are used purely for fun, if I was commuting, my opinions may be slightly different if I was unable to get a loaner bike.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Almost 13,000 miles/20,000km since last May on my 15 S... no significant problems.

·
Registered
112 Posts
2015 model 1200S Done 1300 kilometres ,As of now No problems But Unhappy with the bike ,Expected to be better than KTM1190 Adventure this Replaced ,Rather great disappointment on Engine & It's Powerdelivery ,

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback! Please keep it coming.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had my Multi for about 10 months, have 5500 miles on it. Ducati replaced the side stand under a recall, did the ECU update for the fueling issue and the only problem i have had was that the fuel tank sensor failed at about 4500 miles - replaced under warranty. build and quality seems to be excellent.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2016 PP 637 miles not enough to make an educated reliability judgment. One cosmetic issue: the right carbon fiber piece on the nose did not fit right. Another when the dealer tried to remove the oil pan for 600 miles service, they had to drill one of the screws out, it was torqued too tight. Both issues were taking care of under warranty.

I had 2013 PP. I did not care for the skyhook suspension, had leaking forks twice and clonking noise. Power delivery much smoother on the 2016.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This post is directed to all Multistrada 2015 & 2016 owners. May I please request some honest feedback?

Please be so kind as to share the following information:

A.) For those who are happy with your bikes and who are lucky enough to have not experienced major issues:
1.) Please indicate how long have you had your 2015/2016 Multi and how many Miles or Kilometres you have done?
2015 1200S Purchased in October. I have about 1200 Miles on it, so not a huge amount yet.
No Major issues.
The Bike it replaced was a 2004 Yamaha FZ1.

The Minor issues I had were all outlined in the forum here, and were easily remedied during the first service.
Mine needed the Side Stand replaced (Recall), Seat Replaced due to the staples issue, and had a bunch of the Firmware nits that needed to be updated (Trip ODO's resetting, bluetooth volume not adjustable on being paired, etc.) But I knew about these when i bought it and knew there were updates already available.

-----

If you want to talk to be about unreliable, ask me about my SV1K. 8000 miles, and every major engine issue known, and lost 2nd gear at one point.
If it wasn't so much fun when it is running... The new Yamaha Triples though might be a contender for a replacement though...

·
Registered
37 Posts
1200S 2015 model.
Bought Jul-15, done 9000km. Only problem was a binding clutch slave cylinder which was replaced under warranty. Being from Australia, no problems with fuel mapping.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sounds like the OP has discovered the Iron Law of Ducati Ownership: the best way to have one working Ducati motorcycle at all times is to buy two (or more) Ducati motorcycles :D

FWIW, I've encountered a couple of annoying problems with my 2016 Multistrada 1200S. The first was the 2nd gear/35mph power stumble. It, literally, almost got me killed when I attempted to pass a car and the bike failed to deliver power. Fix was to park the bike for a week, then take it to the dealer for the ECU updates, which they'd refused to install before I purchased the bike. Their excuse? "It doesn't do much". The other problem was a dead battery. Left the bike at the dealer overnight for the 600-mile service. Went to pick it up the next day and it cranked but wouldn't start. 15-20 minutes on the battery charger fixed the problem. The problem was likely a result of cold (~45 Fahrenheit) overnight temps. If it had happened anywhere but the dealer, I'd have been stranded. I now make sure to connect the bike to a battery tender whenever it's parked. The GSX-R750 right next to it starts without a hint of hesitation even after sitting for months, but leave the Multi off the charger for a few days and starting can be a struggle...

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
The other problem was a dead battery. Left the bike at the dealer overnight for the 600-mile service. Went to pick it up the next day and it cranked but wouldn't start. 15-20 minutes on the battery charger fixed the problem. The problem was likely a result of cold (~45 Fahrenheit) overnight temps. If it had happened anywhere but the dealer, I'd have been stranded. I now make sure to connect the bike to a battery tender whenever it's parked. The GSX-R750 right next to it starts without a hint of hesitation even after sitting for months, but leave the Multi off the charger for a few days and starting can be a struggle...
This is definitely not right... I frequently do overnighters where temperatures can get that low and my 15 has not hesitated to start for me. I've had my 15 since June of 2015 and never experienced the power outage that you describe. You should have confidence in the bike to leave off a tender for a short period of time. My bike sits without tender during the week, only ridden on weekends. I'd be really complaining if I were you...

·
Registered
196 Posts
I got mine DVT last May and she's due for the 30K Km service now. Had to have the clutch cylinder and fuel sensor replaced plus the sidestand recall. Nothing that has required me to stop riding her nor have the bike in the shop longer than a couple hours while I wait.

I have full confidence in her reliability with all the miles I've put on her so far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
blown hose

I posted re the blown hose - had the bike back a week and now the exhaust valve has completely broken, going to Italy for a new part. Really not happy, dealer said it may be a 'Friday bike' and in a 6 week period it has spent 2 weeks already back with the dealer since new.

Great bike to ride but as a commuter this is terrible, looking to speak with Ducati re refund or replace whole back as I have lost faith in this one.

Ducati haven't called me back yet this week, they said they would on Monday, but hopefully the Dealer/Ducati will give me an update on bike tomorrow, took it back in on Saturday after 5 problem free days...

Not what I expect for a 16K bike, if it was reliable or minor issues only would be a great bike! Perhaps I have just been unlucky. 1,500 miles in so far.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My bike is 2015 1200S done 800 miles ,Though No Major issues As of now And I still like the looks ,
Iam Utterly Dissappointed by the PowerDelivery & Maximum power Generated i,Clutch can be lighter ( Like KTM 1190) ,Lucky gearbox Is getting better gradually, Hope the exhaust note should have been Deeper tone

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
My bike is 2015 1200S done 800 miles ,Though No Major issues As of now And I still like the looks ,
Iam Utterly Dissappointed by the PowerDelivery & Maximum power Generated i,Clutch can be lighter ( Like KTM 1190) ,Lucky gearbox Is getting better gradually, Hope the exhaust note should have been Deeper tone
Check out the video on this link - BMW S1000XR & DUCATI MULTISTRADA 1200 COMPARED

During the test they got 131hp with the stock Multi. The BMW gave 151hp. Both bikes are advertised as having a 160hp capability. I have seen somewhere that they can resolve power problems with an ECU flash. Did you ask your dealer about this?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I really can't understand all the whinging and whining at the new Multistrada. We have enormous resources for information from the Internet, published magazines and forums like this.

Anyone who is really picky about a product, should wait, review all the tests and then decide if this is the product they wish to spend their hard earned cash on.

There is no excuse for buying something that doesn't quite meet ones needs.

I don't care if the XR1000 makes 200HP, that wasn't the bike for me, so I don't come here bitching about any shortcomings of my Multistrada against a bike I already ruled out.

As far as reliability, you are buying a motorcycle from a small volume manufacturer, who tries to be on the leading edge of technology, there are some risks. Again if that makes you uncomfortable, buy Japanese, but that'll still not guaranty you 100% reliability.

Most auto's that I have purchased new, from Mercedes, BMW, Lexus and Cadillac, all have had minor issues, usually resolved quickly, but even with high end, volume manufacturers, they still can't build 100% reliable.

If you have a sucky Ducati dealer or the dealer is a long way away, well that's something you have to accept if you experience a few problems. I've bought two new Aprilia's, freight delivered to me, with the nearest dealer being 250 miles away. I took that risk, but figured the pleasure of riding such a motorcycle was worth that inconvenience.

An acquaintance of mine had his 2012 Multistrada crank go at 7500 miles, two years out of warranty. The dealer went to bat for him and Ducati supplied the parts and the dealership the labor, how can you beat that?

Rant over.....

·
Registered
348 Posts
During the test they got 131hp with the stock Multi. The BMW gave 151hp. Both bikes are advertised as having a 160hp capability. I have seen somewhere that they can resolve power problems with an ECU flash. Did you ask your dealer about this?
There was an ECU update for U.S. bikes that came out in November of last year. Reddydr is in India, so it may not apply to him. The U.S. update will get you a few (2-4?) more HP, but you're not going to get a 20HP boost. You're also not going to notice much change in the 3500-5500 rpm torque hole. The update does, however, seem to fix the problem where grabbing a big handful of throttle in 2nd gear at 35mph causes the engine to bog down for several seconds before finally delivering a unexpectedly huge rush of power.

Motorcyclist says all of this in their November 2015 update to their test, though given their lead time I suspect they didn't have the final version of the map that was released to the public. In any event, the ECU update is no silver bullet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I really can't understand all the whinging and whining at the new Multistrada. We have enormous resources for information from the Internet, published magazines and forums like this.
I am sorry that you view this as winging and whining. If this bothers you that much, why do you read the posts? This is a public forum. Are people not allowed to express their views and concerns? If you wanted to reply and you are happy with your 2015 1200S why did you not say so?
You also say we have enormous resources for information from the Internet, published magazines and forums like this, but you have a problem if people publish their experiences and concerns on forums like this.
Anyone who is really picky about a product, should wait, review all the tests and then decide if this is the product they wish to spend their hard earned cash on.
Really? If the seller advertise a product and a customer buys the product, should the customer not expect a working product. I wish I had access to a thread like this before I made the purchase.

There is no excuse for buying something that doesn't quite meet ones needs.
If the advertised product meets the customer's needs and the customer starts using the physical product (after purchase) and it does not function properly, is the customer to blame for this?

I don't care if the XR1000 makes 200HP, that wasn't the bike for me, so I don't come here bitching about any shortcomings of my Multistrada against a bike I already ruled out.
I care. It says something if both bikes are advertised at 160hp and there is a 20hp difference between the two. However this is not the reason for the link to the video. Having another model on the machine shows that the readings are reasonably accurate and that owners are correct about their concerns as far as power delivery on the Multis are concerned. The question is, how can this be fixed? Or should we just live with it because the excuse is this is a small volume manufacturer?

As far as reliability, you are buying a motorcycle from a small volume manufacturer, who tries to be on the leading edge of technology, there are some risks. Again if that makes you uncomfortable, buy Japanese, but that'll still not guaranty you 100% reliability.
Had multiple Japanese bikes - 4 of them 100% reliability. I do not believe these problems originate from the fact that they are a small volume manufacturer. Some of the bikes they produce are pretty near perfect. This proves they can do this. They have a problem with quality control.

Most auto's that I have purchased new, from Mercedes, BMW, Lexus and Cadillac, all have had minor issues, usually resolved quickly, but even with high end, volume manufacturers, they still can't build 100% reliable.
I can say the same thing. However none of my vehicles ever required stripping the engine for major repair work. Especially after only a few months of ownership.

An acquaintance of mine had his 2012 Multistrada crank go at 7500 miles, two years out of warranty. The dealer went to bat for him and Ducati supplied the parts and the dealership the labor, how can you beat that?
Assuming the bike was accident/abuse free and there was no negligence how is it acceptable that a crank goes at 7500 miles?

1 - 20 of 81 Posts