Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
i heritated the multistrada from my late husband last spring.
Travelling in the US(Colorado)
The bike has started to go on it's own to neutrual has i try to accelarate, and suddenly
kicking back to where it is suppose to be.
Happenend on an off, and not fun at all.
No shiffiting issues, and it is happening in no specific gear.
The tank has been ampty, filter change cause the mecanic tought it could be water in the thank and line.
Still it is happening.

Seems to me transmission?

I m no expert, i must say.
Anybody please have an idea what it could be?
Can i get some input please.

:crying:

·
AARP Reject
2,934 Posts
Can i get some input please.

:crying:
Hope you find these a useful series of tutorials. Kevin Cameron may have the answer to other questions you might have as well but this one explains how the transmission works and what could have failed. The rest of the series is good for understanding how bikes work in general although Ducs have their own quirks you can learn about here.

I think it's great that you're riding the bike and taking it on. Sincere condolences on your loss. I hope the machine takes you to great new places and interesting people. Big bike, ride safe!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Hi Syd,

My suggestions are:
1. Test the gear position sensor to see if it is functioning properly.
2. Change the clutch fluid.
3. Change the clutch plates.

I pray you have a fun and safe journey,
Murph

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
The tank has been ampty, filter change cause the mecanic tought it could be water in the thank and line.
Still it is happening.
This sounds wrong to me. Water in the tank and/or bad gas shouldn't cause a bike to go into neutral. :confused:

Do a Google on my earlier suggestions to see if they make more sense to you.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
That sounds to me more likely to be a clutch or oil issue. Once a transmission is in a gear there are generally no forces that would cause it to (on its own) shift out of that gear (to neutral or a false neutral) and then back. That's not to say there may not be some weird sort of failure... but it would be a VERY uncommon issue. Clutch issues on the other hand - VERY common.

First thing I'd do (because it's cheap) is change the oil and filter (wet clutch multi's use the same oil that lubricates the engine to operate the clutch). Make sure you use the correct oil weight and that it's motorcycle oil (which has friction modifiers specifically for wet plate clutches). After that I'd pull the clutch pack and have a look at the plates (or have a moto mechanic do it for you).

Reactions: harun

·
Registered
288 Posts
That sounds to me more likely to be a clutch or oil issue. Once a transmission is in a gear there are generally no forces that would cause it to (on its own) shift out of that gear (to neutral or a false neutral) and then back. That's not to say there may not be some weird sort of failure... but it would be a VERY uncommon issue. Clutch issues on the other hand - VERY common.

First thing I'd do (because it's cheap) is change the oil and filter (wet clutch multi's use the same oil that lubricates the engine to operate the clutch). Make sure you use the correct oil weight and that it's motorcycle oil (which has friction modifiers specifically for wet plate clutches). After that I'd pull the clutch pack and have a look at the plates (or have a moto mechanic do it for you).
This.

Sounds like worst case is that your clutch is going out.

Someone that isn't really knowlegable would describe it exactly how you did.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
The tank has been ampty, filter change cause the mecanic tought it could be water in the thank and line. :crying:
Feel free to kick this mechanic in the nuts. It sounds like he doesn't have a clue as to what he is doing. It may make you feel better. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts