Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi allo,

recent new Multistrada 1100 owner. I've had my 20.000 mile Duc for a few months now. Suddenly, one day I try to fire-up my baby and when pressing the starter button, I get a 0.2 sec. sound of the ignition to start cranking, but then it stops, the dashboard indication screen "resets" itself - everything is switched of for 1 second and then the engine check light comes-up, while the dashboard remains in the "normal" indication, waiting for the motorcycle to be fired up. When trying to start it again, the same thing keeps happening.

Lights etc. all work as expected, so I wouldn't expect the battery to be an issue. Any ideas before I start checking?

Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Lights etc. all work as expected, so I wouldn't expect the battery to be an issue. Any ideas before I start checking?
Lights can definitely still work fine with a weak battery. It could have enough juice to power the lights but not enough cranking amps to start the engine. If it is a weak battery, dont skimp on a new one. Ive seen customers bring their bikes into the shop with a "Battery mart" or other cheapo and a new Yuasa cured their issues.

Also, since you said you were new to the 1100 Multi, when starting make sure you press the starter button and don't hold it. Also, Double, TRIPLE check your battery cover is on tight before going for a ride. they like to fly off and they're made of unobtainium these days.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Most likely: Battery or battery cables loose.

Tighten cables and try to start

If turns over/starts then you're good to go.
If no turn over/start then attach a jump box and try to start

If turns over/starts then have battery checked and charge or replace.
If doesn't turn over/start then check/tighten cables to starter (I'd suggest removing and cleaning if any corrosion)

If turns over/starts then you're good to go.
If doesn't turn over/start then it gets complicated (starter, electrical issue, etc...)... I'd at this point start checking any part of the harness that has ignition signaling on it... and
if that doesn't help I'd take it to the dealer for a diagnostic - but you could have a bad starter or probably a number of electrical gremlins... or maybe your motor is seized. :) (just kidding... if the motor is seized the starter generally just clicks...)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Addendum--Don't simply tighten the terminals. Pull them, make sure they are clean (hit the terminals and post with a wire brush) and THEN reattach and tighten.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Also, since you said you were new to the 1100 Multi, when starting make sure you press the starter button and don't hold it.
Semi-off topic, but my 2016 Multi 1200 requires me to hold the starter button, did this change from the 1100 to the 1200 DVT?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
the marelli 5am ecu has a function where, if you press the starter button, it will enable the cranking circuit and keep it active until the engine reaches a certain rpm, or a time limit if it doesn't start. it's about 900 rpm or so, and you can often hear the starter still going if the engine does start, but idles very low.

you can still hold the starter button in, it makes no difference. it's just a trigger for the ecu to enable the solenoid.

the mitsubishi ecu in your multi 1200 doesn't do this.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Semi-off topic, but my 2016 Multi 1200 requires me to hold the starter button, did this change from the 1100 to the 1200 DVT?
Yes, it changed, you should be holding the starter button :D

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Clean your grounds ( more than one) both ends to bare metal. Check main fuse and connectors, wires can pull out of the connector a hair and not make good contact. I cleaned all my connectors and made sure the wires were pushed in all the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate your quick replies, guys! It was raining A LOT yesterday here in Northern Greece, so I could not do anything. I will check it out later today and let you know!

Cheers!:grin2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Same bike.... same issue.... Turned out to be the starter for me...…. Tested all - battery fully charged, all connections/wires good.
You'll know once the starter is removed, but it's a wet mounted starter so you will have to remove the stator cover to access.
Ask around if there is a way to determine if the starter is bad without removing it.
Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts