Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Team!
I am noticing a few unexpected characteristics about the rear shock of my new (to me) Multi:
  1. The total displacement of my rear shock between "high" and "low" on the preload adjuster only seems to be about .5 cm (picture attached is of the shock at max preload) which seems unexpectedly short.
  2. Potentially related: The preload adjuster has about ten turns of play on the minimum preload end, IE I at about the midway point going from hard to soft, the collar that compresses the spring is fully retracted and the dial spins with zero resistance (prior to that point there is a firm and constant resistance on the dial).
Does this seem normal?

Thanks in advance!

Rear shock at max preload

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Yes that's the range and yes it is normal. Most hydraulic preload adjusters have very limited ranges often 5-8mm.

I just freshened mine 2 days ago and re-sprung it. The stock spring is a dual rate and putting on a straight rate for your weight makes a noticeable difference. The showa is a good enough shock I felt no need to buy a ohlins (even though I am a dealer for them).

If the shock is in good condition.
1. freshen it if 18,000 miles or more if you have no records.
2. change the spring and try and set base preload to 15mm.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I just swapped springs and the doesn’t ‘seem’ like much, but it makes a hell’eva difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts