Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
@Buzzer great work as always!
I love your crank trigger, but I am not sure why you need it. Did you completely delete the factory ECU? From your diagram looks like you use an aftermarket ignition module to provide spark and advance curve? Just curious as I had to build my own crank trigger for a 999. But I ended up running it off the alternator end of the crank and used a VR sensor. The standalone ECU could not make sense of the 42tooth timing gear Ducati uses…and from a software point of view running off crank speed was better for the trigger, but I believe your trigger on the layshaft could be used as a cam sensor in addition to my crank sensor. If you did use a standalone ignition would you mind providing some data on it? I imagine it might be useful for some other projects and might be a bit cheaper and less complicated than the full standalone ECU I use.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
@Buzzer great work as always!
I love your crank trigger, but I am not sure why you need it. Did you completely delete the factory ECU? From your diagram looks like you use an aftermarket ignition module to provide spark and advance curve? Just curious as I had to build my own crank trigger for a 999. But I ended up running it off the alternator end of the crank and used a VR sensor. The standalone ECU could not make sense of the 42tooth timing gear Ducati uses…and from a software point of view running off crank speed was better for the trigger, but I believe your trigger on the layshaft could be used as a cam sensor in addition to my crank sensor. If you did use a standalone ignition would you mind providing some data on it? I imagine it might be useful for some other projects and might be a bit cheaper and less complicated than the full standalone ECU I use.

Happy to help! I use an ignitech TCIP4 ignition unit which is very good... its actually plug and play off the original induction sensor that works off the toothed wheel, but I had problems with that hence moving to a hall setup. The ignitech is easily programable and supports many functions, and comes with its own software so you can make changes (dynamically as well!) have a look at their site https://www.ignitech.cz/en/

happy to take any questions... just send me a message

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Thank you for the info sir. I need to do some research, looks like they make plenty of options, but it looks intriguing because being able to purchase the options you need. My PE ECU is loaded with everything weather you use it or not…I do like that it can program nearly any sensors etc, not tied to proprietary hardware.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Fitted the new cambelts today… I like the Gates carbon Drive app to tension the belts. It measures the frequency of them when you give them a twang, like a guitar string, very sensitive and accurate. I set them to 110 HZ which also “feels” right.

I also went to pick up the oil cooler pipes I had dropped off to have the ends crimped on…I just don’t have the tool to do this. The miserable git plonked them on the counter and said £20… I looked and he had fitted different size ferrules on the ends… when I pointed this out he shrugged and told me it didn’t matter… well it does to my OCD… he was not happy when I refused to pay! This is why I hate putting work out.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
into the detailed jobs at the moment, in preparation for start up. The oil cooler was pretty tatty so I left it in a container with some thinners in the bottom for a few days, then washed the paint straight off. As its aluminium and I was going to paint it, I grit blasted it before giving a a thin coat of etch primer, followed by a couple of coats of satin black, which I prefer over matt. It came out really well.

Then onto the carb installation. The outer diameter of the carb inlets are different to that of the fuel filter, so I needed a “T” piece with different size ends. I made one out of brass and silver soldered the parts together. Finally I needed some cable adjusters. I popped to the cycle shop where I buy my bowden cable to make the throttle cables but they didn’t have any suitable. Again I ended up making these out of brass and a couple of bolts. The yellow tube is Tygon, made for Ethanol fuel. its very flexible and I like the idea I can see through it! It works best with Mikalor clips which are quite neat.

Finally I fitted the frame number sticker with the VIN number on, just to keep the MOT man happy. one of the problems with blasting and powder coating the frame is it becomes very difficult to see the frame number.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
One aspect of a build I like to get right is the throttle action... too quick and action and its jerky to ride and often heavy... too slow an action and it becomes two handfuls to fully open and I hate that...

I popped the cable on with the twin pull throttle of the Multistrada and it was just too quick and heavy... I needed to take 1mm off the diameter where the cables run. Of course you cant just pop it in the lathe as the cable boss prevents that... I looked at doing it in the milling machine and couldn't see any way of doing it... so I came up with this!

·
Registered
713 Posts
One aspect of a build I like to get right is the throttle action... too quick and action and its jerky to ride and often heavy... too slow an action and it becomes two handfuls to fully open and I hate that...

I popped the cable on with the twin pull throttle of the Multistrada and it was just too quick and heavy... I needed to take 1mm off the diameter where the cables run. Of course you cant just pop it in the lathe as the cable boss prevents that... I looked at doing it in the milling machine and couldn't see any way of doing it... so I came up with this!

DREMEL! Can't beat it! Well done.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
DREMEL! Can't beat it! Well done.
I dont know what I would do without it! its not a Dremel though... I broke three before buying a cheap copy off Amazon for a third of the price that has lasted a couple of years now!

Well I would like to say it started first time… but it didn’t… I would like to say I found the problem in 10 mins… but I spent HOURS looking why it didn’t start. In the end I tracked it down to the fact that I had placed the magnets wrong on the ignition trigger wheel! easily sorted soon as I spotted it.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts