Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Next job has been to make the plate and trigger wheel for the hall sensors for the ignition. I have made some modifications from the last couple I made, the trigger wheel bigger and i have fitted a heat sink to the plate. I tried to order the same hall sensors as I used the last few times, but everyone seemed to be out of stock, with a delivery date of sept 2022! Fortunately a good friend found me some in Germany, so they are on the way!

The hall sensors are triggered by two tiny magnets in the rim of the trigger wheel, south pole turns the hall on, north off.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Finished making the belt covers… they cut easily with a hole saw and a diamond wheel in the Dremel… as does the 3mm Polycarbonate. not everyone like the fake carbon look... but I like it, and its very durable when coated with some 2K clear. In fact, more durable than the real thing in some case! Its cheap and easy to do as well... here is a short video of the process...

the engine is now finished, time to start assembly soon!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
started to pull it all together now, its amazing how quickly it all comes together once the engine is finished... it must be the easiest bike to put the engine in!

slight halt in proceeding now though, the car failed its MOT yesterday so I have to fix that... the parts are only available from Mercedes and only Germany hold stock... first time in over 40 years one of our cars has failed an MOT... I was guttted! :'(

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The rear shocker was actually OK…. but the plating was poor on many of the parts, and I knew that would niggle me! so I pulled it all apart and zinc plated all the parts that needed it, including the banjos on the end of the pipe. I bought a new seal kit, and some oil and re-assembled. the only tricky part was undoing the threaded centre tube out of the body. I didn't want to use grips so I wrapped some thin rubber around it and tightened a couple of jubilee clips around it and used the grips on that. worked a treat!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
here are a few photos of the detail as it comes together… I am particularly pleased with the rear number plate arrangement and speedo housing.

Another batch of polishing done... its a hard, filthy and quite dangerous job, so I tend to do it in batches, I thought this was the last batch, but as usual when I had finished and cleaned the workshop and myself... I find parts I have missed!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Funny how you think some jobs are going to be easy… I needed to bend some stainless steel rod into some hoops for the exhausts springs… easy enough I though, and tried to bend it over an 8mm bolt. After about the 5th attempt and failing to get a nice radius I ran out of rod.. I needed to think again! so I made this little jig and managed to finally get some nice even bends!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Started work on the wiring diagram… I always do one of these for a build, and invest some time in it as (1) its easier to design in stages, and ( 2) I think of the poor next owner trying to fault find in years to come! and (3) I can do it while she watches stuff like Strictly come dancing

Its not finished yet, but its getting there. I love the wiring stage of a build

I did start to do it on my iPad on an App… which was a actually very good... but I got conned! after a few days it came up “your trial period is over – please pay” I wish I had spotted that in the small print before I started! so it was back to good old Microsoft Visio

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Brilliant idea using Visio! I cannot read my sketches of wiring diagrams after several inevitable changes.
Your workmanship inspires but your posts are always very informative and full of fantastic ideas and how too. I hate to clutter up your build threads and I am sure others feel the same…but please be assured we are all watching and learning from your threads…please keep them coming!

Reactions: stomp944

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
One of the things I like to do on any build is to rubber mount any electrical components, it gives them a much easier life. The coils and the rear number plate holder are therefore supported by rubber bushes with collars in them to isolate the components from vibration. The coil rubbers are a standard size, but I needed to have a custom pair for the rear number plate as it was a none standard size. Rubber is almost impossible to turn… I read people put it in the freezer and use a very sharp tool, but in my experience that simply does not work… What does work is grinding it. Here is a 30 second video of widening the groove in a rubber bush in the lathe with a cutting disc in a Dremel.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Genius!!

Posting full res piccies for the nerds would be good though, we like to zoom!!!!

·
Registered
753 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
In an effort to keep the lines of the bike as clean as I can, I have designed the loom to all come together under the tank, which makes it a little messy under there… I also struggled to make a bracket for the fuel tap I am using… I wont divulge how long that little bracket took to make!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
into some of the detail jobs now… Somehow I “lost” the brake light switch… I remember taking it off and putting it and the tiny plunger into a plastic bag… after spending a frustrating couple of hours searching (and finding stuff I had forgotten I had!!) I admitted defeat and bought a Hydraulic one, which worked out OK as I needed a new double banjo bolt to fit the brake lines! I took apart the stand switch cleaned and re- assembled and covered the cables with braided sleeving, which I find great. Its important the switch works well as its connected to the ignition… When the stand is down, the engine is limited to 2000 RPM, which prevents you pulling away with it down. Also made up some custom HT leads with copper cores so I can just use resistor plugs.

Finally I finished the ignition trigger… I have made a few of these in the past, but this time when I tried to order the Hall Sensors they were out of stock, with a delivery date of sept 22! There are alternatives, but better the devil you know… A good friend managed to find me 5 in Germany though. I held them in place with some hot glue, and then filled the void with potting compound which I have never used before. if anyone wants to make a trigger, the values of the capacitors and resistors are on the diagram.

the hall sensors are triggered by tiny magnets ( 3 x 5 mm) The south pole turns it on, north off… which means you have to determine the pole of the magnets! this is easily done by floating them on a piece of wood where they quickly align.

·
Smut peddler
1,257 Posts
A little break today to do something I love doing… making things from scratch…. I have always liked the window in the cover on some of the bevel bikes, so I decided to make a window for the desmo valve gear…

You should make more to sell. That is flat out gorgeous work.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts