Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06' ST3 was stolen a few days ago so I'm in the market for a new bike. Not sure I want to go back with an ST3. I put 5,000 miles on it and never really did like the riding position. I had a monster before and it fit me like a glove but I wanted something the wife and I could tour on. Also I had one of the "surging St3's". The bike never did run right.
So, I have been considering the Multi. How does it compare to the ST for two-up riding? Have they had surging issues also? I am going to demo a multi soon. I'm looking at the new 1100. My mechanic tells me that no matter which Duc I buy to go ahead and have the DP performance kit installed before I take it home. What do you guys think?

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Sorry to hear that your bike was stolen. Being a Multi owner I'm biased, I think they are great. This link may answer some of your 2-up questions, http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=23070.

I have an `04 1000 stock, no surging, no DP performance kit, and it runs great. My preference is to buy a bike ride it stock and then change things as you see they don't suit your needs. For me that was heated grips, better seat, and rear mud guard.

Do the demo, it's what sold me. Good luck with the new bike.

·
Still needs a life.
12,428 Posts
Mark Hollingsworth and his wife ride two up on their Multi. If you want to spend all day in triple digits, you will definitely want an ST. If you prefer to travel closer to the posted speed limits, then it all comes down to which riding position you prefer as to whether you want a Multi or an ST. I have ridden with Multi riders and a Multi gives up nothing to an ST in the corners.

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
It will depend on where and how you will ride it. For Indonesian roads (where you may noy enter into high way on your bike, we cann't expect smooth asphal roads all the time and I use to have a long ride with passanger) I will defenitely go for Multi. But I guess if you are in the States (with a wider roads and you may enjoy speedy ride in the high way), I may prefer ST..
I guess it is a different riding style. Multi is more relax and enjoyable for passanger somehow... :)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Bill_Anderson said:
Mark Hollingsworth and his wife ride two up on their Multi. If you want to spend all day in triple digits, you will definitely want an ST. If you prefer to travel closer to the posted speed limits, then it all comes down to which riding position you prefer as to whether you want a Multi or an ST. I have ridden with Multi riders and a Multi gives up nothing to an ST in the corners.
My Multi is strictly for 2 up riding. It is stock. We have added DP top case and panniers. The wife loves it. I sat on an ST2 before buying the Multi. The ST2 felt just like my 748 with Helibars.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, my mechanic has an ST4 but said his wife prefers riding on the back of a Multi. Hope to demo one this week. The Multi 1100 should have a lot more low end than the ST3, but will the Multi cruise at 80-90 without being buzzy?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
not too many places in the twisties where one can cruise at 80-90. but then there are not many windy mountian roads in Kansas. on a Multi you are sitting upright and in the wind. you will probably want a taller than stock windshield. buzzsyness is more of a gearing thing than anything else and one has to decide if they want acceleration or a lopeing top gear. I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket and enjoy the responsiveness and didn't notice a change in fuel nilage, but then I never have done a scientific study.
do a test ride on both with your wife along. let her decide

·
Registered
525 Posts
I would get the Multi... It's just more fun for me to ride. Lady loves the back seat, and if you need a serious tourer you can buy the bags.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got to test ride a Multi today. They didn't have an 07' so I rode an 06' 1000.
My wife and I really liked it. Really didn't find anything that I liked about the ST3 that I had better...except the ST was lower. Dealer told me the Multi could be lowered.
I really liked the Multi riding position. No weight on the wrists at all. Wasn't crazy about the bars but those can be changed. The Multi felt a lot "lighter" around town. Liked the low end of the Multi. Had plenty of power.
Since the dealer didn't have one of the 1100's I also rode a Hypermotard. Shouldn't have done that :D That bike makes you want to do bad things! Wouldn't be a very good "only" bike, but would be a fun second bike. The power between the 1000 and 1100 was very noticable. Could have been gearing too.
Dealer wanted me to ride a KTM Adventure to see how I liked it. Wasn't really impressed. It was way to tall for me and if you cut the throttle it would almost throw you over the bars. Didn't feel like it had as much power as the multi but the dealer said it was faster. Definately not for me.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have a '06 ST3s with Leo Vince pipes and the replacement ECU (surging). I rode a 1100 Multi a few weeks back. I did like the upright seating, but know from experience it will bother my back after a bit. I did find I missed the extra hp of the ST3, the seat, the fairing, etc after about 45 minutes. I do think both are great choices, but afterward I was happy to get back on my ST3s and head the 50 miles home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts