Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok folks, here's my delema. I decided first on a GS and then at first I heard great stuff about the Multi. I decided on the basic Multi and will be trading my 09 Ultra for one with some change coming back to me.

Anyway the dealer has offered the trade amount and told me they will order a Multi in red basic. My mind is off the BMW GS as of the last week.

Now on forums I read about surging, recalls and learn my basic ride adjustments manually are a pain. Also, my dealer seems to be unable to get a bike for the deal. It's been a couple weeks and with a deposit still no calls from the saleman or shop. In this market who would do almost anything to get a deal together I can't even get a call back. Then I call other Ducati dealerships in different states just to get answers to questions about the bike and the sales people can't answer basic questions about the bike like "does the basic have ride control in auto from the bars"? Most have told me yes. Wrong, I think. I know they all have the power setting control but not ride control. My question about traction control had me on hold for 5 minutes as they searched for someone with the answer. By the way my dealer said the basic has traction control. I wonder if that's correct anyone know. The Duc web site is vague about this stuff.

Anyway I guess the bike is strong market wise but paying full MSRP at $14,995 and no sales knowledge I'm thinking BMW GS again.

I want the Duc but Damn they ain't made of gold but the dealers are trying to make that impression. Some things wrong!

What do you folks think?
Should I stay with the duc or give up and go back to the GS?

·
Registered
692 Posts
What do you folks think? Should I stay with the duc or give up and go back to the GS?
Actually, I think a lot of the "disinformation" that's been around in some dealerships is simply because they haven't had many bikes to gain experience on. So I'd cut 'em a little slack unless they just give you some complete bs.

I've got a great relationship with my dealer but he's in the same boat...so to speak. I've had a red Touring on order for 6+ weeks and no sign of it or date. But...once again, the dealer can't do anything about it and they're frustrated too since it's money that's NOT going into their pockets. I suspect that the pipeline will begin to flow shortly.

Next point...GS or MTS. Depends. I've got a GSA that I intend to keep. It's a shitty off road bike as is the MTS but I think it's a better long distance tourer, especially for 2up as is how I use the bike. GS is a nice bike, comfortable but very slow by comparison. So...no right answer except what is right for you. Just try to be honest with yourself with how you intend to ride/use it. For me, the MTS is going to be a primarily solo bike so the near 100lbs lighter weight and 50 hp difference is compelling. Long distance multiple day rides the GS is probably better. Solo or medium distance and if you want to beat the shit out of it...MTS is pretty darned good!:D

Really...I don't think you would be wrong with either selection. Oh, did I mention there is a 50 hp difference.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Ok folks, here's my delema. I decided first on a GS and then at first I heard great stuff about the Multi. I decided on the basic Multi and will be trading my 09 Ultra for one with some change coming back to me.

Anyway the dealer has offered the trade amount and told me they will order a Multi in red basic. My mind is off the BMW GS as of the last week.

Now on forums I read about surging, recalls and learn my basic ride adjustments manually are a pain. Also, my dealer seems to be unable to get a bike for the deal. It's been a couple weeks and with a deposit still no calls from the saleman or shop. In this market who would do almost anything to get a deal together I can't even get a call back. Then I call other Ducati dealerships in different states just to get answers to questions about the bike and the sales people can't answer basic questions about the bike like "does the basic have ride control in auto from the bars"? Most have told me yes. Wrong I think. I know they all have the power setting control but not ride control.

Anyway I guess the bike is strong market wise but paying full MSRP at $14,995 and no sales knowledge I'm thinking BMW GS again.

I want the Duc but Damn they ain't made of gold but the dealers are trying to make that impression. Soemthings wrong!

What do you folks think?
Should I stay with the duc or give up and go back to the GS?
What kind of riding do you prefer to do? If you like going off-road a lot, the BMW GS might be the better choice. The Multi 1200 is very capable off-road too, but the larger thinner front wheel on the GS gives it better off-road handling.

The larger front wheel on the GS works against it on the street and in the technical twisties. The GS is slower to turn in and less fun to ride in the twisties than the Multi 1200. If you want to ride the canyons more and enjoy the twisties, the Multi 1200 is the better choice.

Both bikes are great for touring. I don't know about the GS for long distances but I can testify that the Multi 1200 is very comfortable on 500+ mile days. The most comfortable bike I've ridden to date (I toured 82,000 miles on a Ducati ST4s and that bike is uncomfortable for me over 400 miles!).

I can't speak for the standard Multi 1200, but the 1200s is an incredible bike to ride! Switching between the modes and feeling the riding characteristics change as the suspension is adjusted, just doesn't get old. You should seriously consider saving up a little more and get the 1200s model.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's always easy to spend someone else's money, but I agree with Mark in saving for the S model. I was skeptical about the need for the electronic suspension, but now that I've had it, I don't want to do without it. Our roads are quite varied here in So Ill, and I find myself switching modes far more than I ever thought I would. If I only rode on one kind of road surface, it wouldn't be so important to me. Just a thought.
Dave

·
Registered
345 Posts
I sold an 04 GS for the new multi I test rode an 2010 BMW Gs and it felt a lot like the 04 and compared to the Duc the BMW feels like a pig. People say the GS is better in the dirt well if you think a 550lb bike is anything but a pig then I say to each his own. Buy the Duc and get the S model with the Ohilns. The price is the same a fully done BMW is the same price as the DUC & the 2008 & 2009 BMW have had more recalls then the Duc and big time problems with there there elect. suspension.

·
Registered
749 Posts
biggums... Good thoughts on the GS and MTS above. Both bikes are outstanding imo, with both having different strengths... distance, off road, roominess, shaft drive, simpler maintenance, enormous aftermarket... GS. Bigger grins, lighter weight, higher performing, higher tech, wicked on backroads, wicked on most roads for that matter... MTS

Have found both to be very reliable.

Oh yeah, noting your location, last week the two Ducati dealers in Denver had unsold Multistrada 1200's on the sales floor. Leave early in the morning, you could be bringing one home that evening.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with all of the above. Get the bike you think will fulfill your riding needs, not what is the coolest Bike of the Month. I sold my fully farkled 2007 GS (even had Ohlins made for me by Dan Kyle) to get my MTS 1200S Touring. There are many similarities between the bikes. I loved my GS, and every time I road it, I'd come home and think...."damn, I love that bike...I've never selling it", that is, until the new MTS came out and I test rode it in. I am not a dirt rider at all, so the GS's fire road prowess never came into consideration. I ride canyons and I tour. The GS was an exceptional tourer...that smooth opposed twin kept getting better and better as the miles piled on. It canyon-carved as good if not better than the boy racers on their GXRs and CBRs. I truly loved that bike.

But I wanted a GS with more power and a little quicker turn-in. I also wished the GS wasn't so top heavy. Then the Strada came along and I was won over by its quickness, agility, versatile suspension and power modes. Now that I've put on a couple of thousand miles on my MTS Touring, I love it. It hauls ass when I want it to, and it tours and purrs when I'm slabbing it in Touring Mode. I have a few nitpiks about the windscreen (yes, I have the taller screen) because of the more wind noise and turbulence (I had a Cee Baileys Adventure screen on my GS that was excellent), and the thin-walled side cases. But, overall, for my riding style and the roads I ride, the MTS is the better bike because of the power and versatility with the suspension and power settings.

As for the recalls, the GS has had a few recalls over the years too. The MTS recalls are simply non-issues and the dealers need to put some loc-tite on a couple of bolts. No big. The surging tends to go away as miles are put on the bike and the engine gets broken in. The dealers can also try to flash it out too and that helps a lot. I never keep stock pipes on my bikes, so when buying a Ducati, even my wife knows that I will get the Termi full systems on my bikes (lessened weight, better sound, and certainly, better performance).

So, that's my two cents...get the bike that's best for you. You can't go wrong with either bike. The dealers have people who are still learning about their new models.

I agree...if going with the MTS, save a little longer for the S model...it's worth it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great responses folks and from them I am learning valuable info that may save me lots of money choosing the bike for me.

I am leaning towards getting off the basic and on a Touring model.

I'll let you all know how it shakes out.

Thanks again!

Dave

·
Registered
836 Posts
The big downside to the MTS12 is it being 1st year model and we along with the dealers are trying to get up to speed so to speak. My dealer at the 600 mile service could not even get their computer to communicate with my ECU and that with a DNA rep on the phone for over an hour.

The GS on the other hand is, well, 30 years old so there are farkles galore and the dealers know how to work on it, even the new overhead cam this year has been out a couple of years with other models.

I have the Standard MTS12, and had an 07 K12GT before so I know about the adjustable stuff I am missing. I'm okay with that. Actually the preload is only thing you have to mess with and that only for 2up.

YES, the standard comes with DTC, TOO much HP to turn loose on the John Q. Public. Ducati figures we might need some help.

·
Registered
692 Posts
The GS on the other hand is, well, 30 years old so there are farkles galore and the dealers know how to work on it, even the new overhead cam this year has been out a couple of years with other models.
Still some potential bumps for the GS. The ESA is new to that bike with a longer travel suspension so who knows how that will work out. The twin cam is as different to prior twin cams as the MTS 11* is to the Superbike. But...on the other hand, a GS, as you say is 30 years old (sounds a bit like H/D, doesn't it).:rolleyes:

·
Registered
61 Posts
My solution is to wait for the next model year.

The BMW, while a fine bike in its own right, seems to fall a bit short in direct comparison to the Ducati for on-road riding. The Ducati has more power, lighter weight, and some additional adjustability in suspension, power output, and ABS sensitivity. That said, one has to acknowledge that many have reported first-year teething problems: inferior saddlebag sealing and, possibly, mounting hardware; deficient sidestand design; relatively poor ABS braking performance; and fueling that remains to be fully sorted out. All the issues I've read about seem like they could be addressed relatively easily at the factory level; none sound like they relate to fundamental design characteristics that will necessarily endure throughout the model's lifecycle.

For me, not being concerned with having the latest and greatest for its own sake, I'm hopeful that the next model year for the Ducati will offer a more fully developed bike than is currently on the market. If that happens, selecting the Ducati over the BMW will then represent less of a compromise than it otherwise might.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I got my MTS 1200S at Eurosport Cycles in Fort worth,Tx. He's got a Base with ABS in white and a S Model in white too. His demo is a black S. If you gotta have a Red model give Advance Motorsports a call in Dallas,they had 2 in stock last week,but I think you might have to pay list because the MTS has gotten such great reviews in the magazines. Tell them you're coming in from out of state and they might cut you some slack.

·
Registered
73 Posts
GS verses Multi

Another two cents worth.

I recently traded my GS Adventure in for an R1200RT and then did some other trades and got a Multistrada 1200S Touring. I have also recently had a basic BMW R1200 GS. So, I have had experience with all the BMW models and am learning and enjoying the Multi.

As most people have said the Multi is great in the turns in the hills. The BMW is good as well, but nothing compares with the turn-in capability of the smaller front wheel on the Multi. Plus the lighter weight and significantly larger amount of on-demand power is really a greater advantage for the Ducati.

Granted, the new dual overhead cam of the 2010 BMW is smooth - much smoother than previous additions. In some instances, it feels smoother, but it is a dull-feeling - not acquainted with power. The engine is smooth, but the pick up and roll-on's are significantly reduced on the BMW verses the Ducati.

Both have their respective strengths. For a long distance, touring-related bike I would initially pick the BMW, due to its history of being a very solid bike. The engine is to a great extent, bullet-proof. If it runs, it s going to run forever.

The Ducati has yet to prove itself. BUT - people probably did not buy it for its history but more for its personality and sensual feel. It feels wonderful. When you roll on the throttle, the bike responds instantaneously. It corners great and it looks fantastic.

The dealers - another horror story. Mostly due to the fact that they don't have a lot of bikes and definitely do not have a long history with the bike. Speculation runs rampant and the end users/owners have to take the brunt for a while. Give them time and things will level out.

Same with the other vendors out there that support the Ducati. Recent requests for performance enhancements/suspension work required ordering parts from Europe - and ALL of Europe appears to be on vacation for the month of August.

Decision to buy a new Multi - great. If for some reason you end up regretting it, the BMWs will still be there.

Lee

2010 Ducati Multistrada S Touring
2010 BMW R1200 RT

·
Registered
50 Posts
These have all been great comparisons, Since I ride 95% street, I went with the 1200 Touring. I'm sure the GS is more comfortable on really long trips, but I'm willing to compromise a little comfort/wind protection for a more powerful, lighter, and agile bike.

·
Registered
88 Posts
As has been said - horses for courses.

Ive got an R1200GS adv and an MS 1200 Ssport. I also love the GS and I have had at least one of every model of GS ever made. But the simple truth is that if you want a bike that for riding twisty hilly roads fast and can do a little of everything else, then the GS doesnt hold a candle to the MS.

If you want a tourer that is also fun, can do some off road etc, then get a GS.

I persoanlly would niot worry about any of the niggles that get reported. People conveniently dont mention that BMWs have been considerably less reliable at launch and for sometime after. This hasnt stopped me buying Beemers and it hasnt stopped me buying a Duc. I would always, in any case, make sure that your local dealer has a good reputation.

bob

·
Registered
692 Posts
People conveniently dont mention that BMWs have been considerably less reliable at launch and for sometime after.
Boy, ain't that the truth. I had the "pleasure" of being a beta tester for an 05 K/S and an 06 GT. And now there are reported cam problems with the RR...sounding like the initial release of the K/S.

I mentioned earlier that BMW quality seems to be slipping while Ducati is improving. :think:

·
Registered
836 Posts
No changes here, still like it standard. Got the reflash (2011 upgrade) for the ECU fixed the low rpm hesitation almost completely, but hurt the MPG just a tad bit.

Only change I am looking to do is going up to a heavier spring for the rear. 85nm/mm is stock, 100 should take care of 2up and loaded. I am 185 lbs.

P.S. 4500+ miles, and I am keeping my tires round. :yeah:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts