Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding my friend's Multi 1000S for the past couple of days (I'm slowly falling in love with the bike by the way) I was cruising on the freeway rushing to my destination 75 miles away when I noticed that the left mirror seems pretty loose at the attachment point. In another 10 miles it completely fell off and I had to hold it with my left hand for the next 60 miles because I was late and couldn't stop to take it off. Long story short, when I got home I removed it and here is what I found:

This morning I had a plan to re-thread the remaining part however it turns out the threads run he opposite way and it's not possible (at least not with tools I have) :( This leads me to believe that the failure occured when someone overtightened the mirror trying to take it off.

Is there a way to replace just the stem? I have tried to find Duck microfiche on-line with no luck. I would hate to buy the whole mirror.

By the way I took the other mirror off and took the bike for a spin..... it's much easier to split the lanes, however I got a feeling of being blind. Need to get this fixed asap!

·
Registered
433 Posts
This has happened to a number of people over on Multistrada.net. I'm afraid you'll have to get a new mirror. Some who've experienced this had it replaced by Ducati but since yours is a 1000, it might be a bit late. Most of the folks with broken mirrors replace them with aftermarket units so you can go that way or look for used on ebay etc. as they might be selling the leftover "good one".

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I've personally heard of this happening to the OEM mirrors on a few Multis and as far as I'm aware, there's no practical way to repair them. Those people I know that have had broken mirrors like this have had to replace the whole mirror.

The OEM mirrors on the Multi are lousy in the first place! They vibrate way too much which is probably why they eventually break. I put a set of FAR mirrors on my Multi when I had it. They were exceptionally well made, solid as a rock and much more practical than the OEM mirrors. You should think about upgrading to a set. :D

I bought my FAR mirrors from this site...

http://www.cyccon.com/

These are the mirror style that I bought...

I got them with the carbon fiber finish and they looked great! :D

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
Hey Turbo,
Off the subject, but your MTS (ex) sure looks good. Did you sell all the parts, like the cf engine cowl?

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Hey Turbo,
Off the subject, but your MTS (ex) sure looks good. Did you sell all the parts, like the cf engine cowl?
Those pictures aren't of my ex-Multi! I borrowed them from the 'cyccon' web site as an example of the mirrors I bought. They have a good gallery there. :D

My Multi was a 2007 1100s. Never got a chance to sell any parts from it after the accident. It was trashed and totaled down in California. I never saw it again! :(

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for replies. I guess I will post an ad in wanted section. There is one on eBay but they want $135 :eek:

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
I have the same FAR mirror, installed on extensions from Twisted Throttle. Now I can actully see what is behind me.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
motowheels has somw bar end mirrors that seem to work great. they also have bar ends that have turn signals in them. I saw the setup on the sport classic that Martin was riding a few weeks ago. that is probably what I will do when it is time to replace the stockers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts