Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a trip from N.Cal to New Orleans this Spring. Talking to the dealer about the new Multistrada. Yee Ha! I've asked to have saddlebags, tailbag and tankbag priced in. Before I pull the trigger on no doubt more expensive Ducati oem equipment, has anyone used other manufacturers and what do you think?

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you're looking at hard luggage other than OEM. Touratech zega pro will run you around $1500 withe mounting hardware, SW MOTECH trax are another option but their around $1300 with hardware! We're talking just side case's ,if you want top case and rack,another $800!They are sturdier & offer more room ,but they are by no means cheaper than OEM. When I recently purchased my 2015 s touring my dealer gave me 10% off all my accessories, luckily I waited till their black Friday sale and got 20% off.Which saved me quite a bit on the bags rear rack crash bars & fog lights. Or you could go the less expensive route Sw MOTECH makes some nice soft luggage.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
There are many advantages to soft bags. First is $$$, second; in case of a crash they are repairable roadside (duct tape, bunjees) and they force you to bring less crap. :)

SW-Motech, Kreiga, Nelson-Rigg, Ventura-Racks have very nice, robust and roomy options for a fraction of Ducati OEM prices. If you can get 20% off, well that changes the playing field, good buy!

If this is your first trip, realize you really don't need to bring as much as you think. You can do laundry every 3rd nite at a motel ($5), or have your clothes shipped to your destination (Wedding etc...).

Of the brand I've listed, Ventura Racks are probably the best/easiest/most modular/easily accessible. Some bags have tiny openings, or flop around while you ride, but Ventura combines the best of soft bags with a hard frame.

Good luck.

·
Registered
869 Posts
While we are on the subject of Ventura luggage, I use their system on my Aprilia Tuono V4. I was using it before I got my Multistrada.

Anyway, I can go from a normal looking bike

To carrying luggage in about 10 minutes. The rack bolts on in 4 places.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Multi Bags

Thanks for all the input. Whoops, this stuff is expensive. I've been looking at the bike as a package and while pricey it didn't seem crazy. Now I realize I need to look much closer at the accessories. I will definitely push back at the dealer on them and I'll look at the options you all mentioned.

Yes, I do realize I can go a bit light. Planned to box stuff and ship to my brother in N.O. before I leave.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A buddy of mine had the Touratech zega pro's on his bike. Great set-up - looked terrific in black and I really like the top loading entry. Only con is that the mounting fixtures are fugly without the bags, so if you are going to ride much without the bags you may be driven to disassemble the mounts. Personally I would go with that option as the bags are so bloody good.

Dave

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Touratech Zegas

I just can't wrap my head around square luggage on my bike. Yeah, I get they hold more...... But FUGLLLY. I can always stop at Walmart and buy some new jeans and underwear if I'm out of packing space. Anything is better. Of course the jeans and underwear will probably have mysterious dust particles from a far Eastern factory but anything is better than square.:smile2:

Multistrada on the way......

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
If you don't need to save the $$$ then the Ducati bags are IMO worth the money... just for how well they integrate without needing metal exoskeleton's or other fugly bolt on mounts. Quality wise they're nothing to write home about (Givi... decent but not great) but when you take them off the bike doesn't look like scaffolding.

Reactions: lemansiii

·
Registered
196 Posts
The choice of luggage is also dependant on how long a trip you are undertaking and what you need to carry in the way of camping equipment, cooking, sleeping etc

For trips where we are camping then lots of packing
space is required, for this I use a set of TRAX luggage for which I have frames for most of my bikes - so the boxes are standard, but a set of frames per bike allows n]me to pick and choose which to use

For shorter trips where we are staying in BnB's, Motels or Hotels then I use the KRIEGA US40Ltr soft luggage strapped to the seat, which comprises of 1 x US20 and 2 x US10.

The TRAX boxes
[/URL]

The KRIEGA Combo US40

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
Go Ducati and all is good (maybe not great)
Fits and easy to remove.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Fits and easy to remove.
I couldn't agree more. And get the liners, they'll keep everything dry and make it easy to remove your stuff and take it with you at the end of the day.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,371 Posts
I have had real good luck with my Wolfman exp saddles and Givi top case / tank bag combo. 10 day trip, I feel I was well prepared while still being able to charge hard twisties.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Fits and easy to remove.
Really? I read a lot of complaints about how difficult it is to get the panniers to connect and how prone the mounts are to breaking. Given that, I'd be tempted to install SW-Motech racks. I've used them on my old FZ-1 and they were terrific, if pricey. SW-Motech has adapters for just about any luggage you'd care to mount...

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Really? I read a lot of complaints about how difficult it is to get the panniers to connect and how prone the mounts are to breaking. Given that, I'd be tempted to install SW-Motech racks. I've used them on my old FZ-1 and they were terrific, if pricey. SW-Motech has adapters for just about any luggage you'd care to mount...
They're not too bad to mount, easy empty and a bit more work if they're full (you do have to get things line up properly). I added some Teflon lube to the brackets which cut the friction and that helped a lot. I think the one's that were breaking may have been faulty, the reports seemed to be 'occasional' rather than widespread.

·
Registered
982 Posts
They're not too bad to mount, easy empty and a bit more work if they're full (you do have to get things line up properly). I added some Teflon lube to the brackets which cut the friction and that helped a lot. I think the one's that were breaking may have been faulty, the reports seemed to be 'occasional' rather than widespread.
This. A bit of lube on the bag's contact points goes a long way.

If you do go with soft luggage, I'll put in another vote for Kreiga. It's well-made, tough and very waterproof - which I've tested multiple times. Be warned, the bags aren't great for quick access, but otherwise, top notch.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm missing the point here,first off the c bow bags are nice but their half the size of the oem bags. Base price 2015 multistrada s touring $19895 in white touring package $1399 that's bags heated grips & center stand!Ok I'm already spending 20k,which is a large investment here ,that being said another $1400 for the touring is not really out of line.I can understand wanting to be different, I don't understand being cheap!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ditto. Plus after putting them on and taking them off you get the hang of the angles needed for smooth on/off.

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
The panniers connect easily they won't connect if the operator isn't doing it right so no fault of the panniers!!
The mounts are not super strong , BUT work well till the operator causes damage (by a drop of the bike?)

Some of the aftermarket bags use the same mounts ( the top 2 pannier mounts ) the super duper aftermarket hard bags will survive a hit but the bike will take the brunt, causing the mounts to be damaged.

And Some people complain about anything , and won't take the time to study and learn proper methods.

Ducati luggage is rated for the bike, is light, pretty sort of compared to the square boxes, fits perfectly and is removable. Designed to fit a full face helmet and another one in the top case , and the side case too.
Go big and get the HUGE panniers ( you just need the sides to expand ifin the smaller ones aren't big enuff.)
They have a lot going for them!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts