Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some beacoup help..I am in the market for a new bike..Although I havent ridden in 7 years (rode cruisers in the past) I am ready to throw the leg over again..I've narrowed my search to the Yamaha fz6, the Ducati Multi 620, and the Kaw Ninja 650r...Two twins and a 4 banger..I've had people tell me 4 cylinder motors are smoother..On the other side I've heard there is too much switching gears on the 4 bangers..I can get the Multi for 7900 the fz for 6100 and the kaw for 5999.. Is there a justifiable reason to take the multi over the other two bikes? The Kaw dealer said why do I want to pay almost 2 grand more for basicaly the same bike..The Yami dealer said the yami is more practical for everyday use..The Ducati dealer told me its a Ducati..Different experience different bike..Help before I pull out what is left of my hair...! Thanks.. :confused:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
no one can decide for you, you should test ride them all and then make your decision. if one of them moves you, then that is the one to buy. for myself, I love my Multistrada. I could have bought many other bikes for less money, however, I wanted a Ducati. anything else would have been less than what I wanted. Why should I settle for less than what I really wanted. If price is your motivation in choosing, buy a used inline 4 any brand will do, they are all quite well made. not much soul, but.....
If you really want a Ducati then get it, not a substitute that is cheaper. how much are ones dreams worth?

·
Registered
17 Posts
1 thing to think about is the aftermarket for the 3 bikes the multi has every thing from full ohlins forks and shock to big bore kits available for it :) and to me the fz6 is a very peaky motor even thow its retuned for mid range its stil has to be rev-ed pretty high to get good power out of it . the fz6 is probably the faster of the 3 but i would bet the multi will handle better and just be more fun in the twistys ;) there is a good fourm just for the multis multistrada.net
i say buy what ever makes u smile the most good luck

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I just bought a MTS 620 to replace my '05 Z750S. Why, you say? After all the Z750S has more power, was cheaper by about a grand, requires less maintenance, smoother, and it's paid for. The MTS just puts a bigger grin on my face. It's more flickable and has character. It is definitely a different ride, and just what I have been lusting for. It is the perfect counter part for my K12GT.

Now, if you are really interested in a water cooled four with two years left on the Kawasaki unlimited mileage warranty and only about 4K on the clock, drop me a pm and I'll show you a spotless, adult ridden 750 for $5200......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the feedback...I would love to test each of the bikes..Unfortunately, finding a dealer in the Chicago metro area that lets you test a bike is next to impossible..Sitting on the bikes is as close as i am gonna get to riding one...I've heard the word "peaky" when describing 4's..I am ignorant to the term can someone explain it to me? I also need someone to explain the difference between riding a twin and riding a 4...Thanks for the offer on the Kaw, but my head is spinning with the choice of the 3 bikes, dont want to add another to the dilema..LOL... :confused:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Danimal said:
Thanks all for the feedback...I would love to test each of the bikes..Unfortunately, finding a dealer in the Chicago metro area that lets you test a bike is next to impossible..Sitting on the bikes is as close as i am gonna get to riding one...I've heard the word "peaky" when describing 4's..I am ignorant to the term can someone explain it to me? I also need someone to explain the difference between riding a twin and riding a 4...Thanks for the offer on the Kaw, but my head is spinning with the choice of the 3 bikes, dont want to add another to the dilema..LOL... :confused:
Recomendation....if they will not let you ride it, don't buy it....Most dealers will give you this statement iffn they don't think you are ready to buy. Show them you are ready to buy, and they will change their tune. I have never purchased a bike that I have not ridden, nor would I recomment than anyone do this. Next, "peaky" describes a rather narrow power band. Most fours are tuned for more maximum power, but at a price of low end torque. Example....my MTS 620 has good power from about 4,500 to 8,000 plus. My Z750S likes to be above 6,000 for good response up to 10,000 plus. I would guess that the FZ6 would be similar if not higher. So, while the four will show more horsepower, it will be in a narrower range. The average horsepower across the band will be similar. In general, water cooled will provide more power but at a cost of more weight and complexity. It really depends on how and where you want to ride. Your cruisers in the past most likely had a broader torque curve.

Question....you seem to be looking at ~600cc rides. Do you have a particular reason for this size? The three that you are considering are very different animals ranging from street to sport to sport touring. I realize that these are gray terms, but I would suggest you try to determine your "grin" spot of riding before determining size.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
think about what kind of riding you plan on doing or want to do. choose the bike that best fits your wants and needs. really, your three choices are rather different in character. there is nothing wrong with that, just that you would have rather different experiences riding them. I don't know how the roads are in your area, but I really enjoy having plush long travel sport bike suspension, super brakes and great handling in the twisties. if I remount the saddle bags, it is ready to go anywhere on any road. it may not be a dual sport by definition, however, I have put several hundred miles on mine via dirt roads.
go to your bank and talk to them about a letter of credit or just go to the dealer with a wad of cash (maybe not the safest thing to do) tell them no ride, no deal. be honest that you will be comparing several bikes. Ducati has demo days several times a year and many dealers participate. go to the dealer prepared to ride with helmet, jacket and current license in hand.
good luck and happy hunting

the photo is of my bike on a dirt road south of Donner Pass in the Sierra Nevada mtns.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am lookin at 600's because I havent ridden in over 7 yrs and feel that these are tame enough to get the feel of getting back on..They are also cheaper to insure..My insurance company goes strictly by the cc's..I will use it as a daily ride to work when mother nature allows..23 miles one way..Mostly x-press way in the mornings and all stop and go on the way home..I love cruising on the weekends when I can find open road..Thanks again for all your input..Btw love those hard bags..Are those Givi?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
my bags are by Ducati. they come in two widths. the wide, which is what I have, will carry a helmet.
wise move to take things a bit easy after several years of non riding, you might even think of buying a cheap used bike to get yourself back in the saddle. from what I have read and heard, the smaller multi does rather well for itself. I don't think it would disapoint you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you're coming from a cruiser background, most likely any of the three bikes you mentioned will seem very high powered to you. They will turn quicker, and accelerate like a scalded ape compared to virtually any of the American or Metric cruisers.

The FZ6 will seem the most foreign to you since it has the most aggressive riding position. If you're like many cruiser riders, you will have numb hands/ sore arms from overweighting your arms of the sport bike.

The Ninja 650R (nice bike btw) will be less forward and the Multi is very much a "sit up and beg" position that will be closest to a cruiser position.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Danimal,

I too am a Chicago resident and ride my bike to work as Mother Nature permits. Before I pulled the trigger and bought the Multi, I did my homework for almost a year and looked at the same models and a few others (Buell, BMW, Aprilia, KTM, & Suzuki) before I decided. I boiled the decision process down to several elements;

1. What & How do I want to ride (purpose)?
2. Function vs. Style
3. What can I afford (POS & service)

Charlie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cwentzel said:
Danimal,

I too am a Chicago resident and ride my bike to work as Mother Nature permits. Before I pulled the trigger and bought the Multi, I did my homework for almost a year and looked at the same models and a few others (Buell, BMW, Aprilia, KTM, & Suzuki) before I decided. I boiled the decision process down to several elements;

1. What & How do I want to ride (purpose)?
2. Function vs. Style
3. What can I afford (POS & service)

Charlie
Can I ask you which dealership you bought yours from? Which dealerships let you take the bikes you were looking at for test rides? I'll try to hit up the same places..Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Danimal,

I purchased the Multi from Corse Superbikes. They're just north of Milwaukee in a small town called Saukville. It was easy to find. Very nice dealership and very good staff.

As crazy as it might sound, I did not test ride a single bike. I visited many dealerships, I looked at all of the makes & models, and sat on them for the ergo feel. I am a prolific participant of the Multistrada.net forum and drew my own conclusions.

I wanted something different.
I wanted to "ride", not "cruise".
I wanted lots of torque along with the hp.
I wanted upright riding and good ergos.
I wanted dependability.
I chose the Ducati.

Charlie

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you do a lot of stop and go traffic I would recomend a water cooled bike. An air colled engine will get very hot and eventhough it is meant to work that way the area around your legs will get uncomfortabley hot.

If your aim is commuting I would pick between the Ducati and the FZ6. The Ninja 650R has a low windshield and is lest comfortable that the other two.

As for the FZ being "peaky" ... they will all ran about the same down in the rev range with the advantage of it being less "jumppy" at slow stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Danimal said:
My insurance company goes strictly by the cc's
If you are a "mature" rider (over 40) switch to GEICO, they are partial to Ducatis (actuarials indicate Ducati riders don't make anywhere near the claims as comparable Japanese brands). I'm paying $407/yr for my '04 1000 Multistrada - comprehensive and collision, $500 deductible - and I would imagine the 620 Multi to be a bit less. By contrast, same coverage for an FZ6 would cost me over $1200/yr! I also checked on a Ducati 999 and it cost $439/yr comprehensive AND collision, $500 deductible...GEICO believes in Ducatis.

All the inline 4s make their horsepower at high speeds. Even the ZX10R has no low-end grunt, not until about 5000rpm (then hang on!) and by then you're over 60mph! I find that the Ducati's low end power allows me jackrabbit starts and hellatious acceleration up to the posted speed. By that measure, NO 600cc multi can match the Duc.

Ask your local Jap dealer what the out-the-door price of their bike is, and compare that with the Ducati - I just had a long conversation with a local YamahaSuzuki dealer and discovered freight and setup are tacked-on to inflate the price of EVERY ONE OF THEIR BIKES by $1300. My local Ducati dealers don't charge freight and setup. So much for the "cheaper" Jap alternative...

Almost every European dealer (Aprilia, BMW, Ducati, KTM, etc.) will provide a test ride. For heaven's sake, you can get a test taste of $5/lb lunchmeat before you buy, so why not a test ride on a $6K+ bike!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
My advice is get whatever makes you smile. Is there one bike that you can't stop thinking about?

The dealers are all going to tell you their bike is the best. They want to sell you a bike so take their word with a grain of salt. Frankly, if $2k is a deal breaker then you might want to look at another hobby as this one gets expensive!

This is my second Duc and I love it dearly. I never stop smiling when I am on it and it handles beautifully. It was more expensive than its competition but I am more of an emotional rider than a purely practical one.

Good luck and whatever your choice let us know what it was.

james

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
cwentzel said:
Danimal,

I purchased the Multi from Corse Superbikes. They're just north of Milwaukee in a small town called Saukville. It was easy to find. Very nice dealership and very good staff.

As crazy as it might sound, I did not test ride a single bike. I visited many dealerships, I looked at all of the makes & models, and sat on them for the ergo feel. I am a prolific participant of the Multistrada.net forum and drew my own conclusions.

I wanted something different.
I wanted to "ride", not "cruise".
I wanted lots of torque along with the hp.
I wanted upright riding and good ergos.
I wanted dependability.
I chose the Ducati.

Charlie
I was in Milwaukee, WI last Nov, drove out to Corse Superbikes in Saukville just to check out their facility. I mentioned my ST3 and my interest in the Multi someday, he offered me helmet, gloves, photocopied my lic and told me to demo the 620, which I did. The loop I did didn't offer a good test in the corners. I'm wishing for a 695 Multi someday. So Corse seemed very open to working with you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kek said:
If you are a "mature" rider (over 40) switch to GEICO, they are partial to Ducatis (actuarials indicate Ducati riders don't make anywhere near the claims as comparable Japanese brands). I'm paying $407/yr for my '04 1000 Multistrada - comprehensive and collision, $500 deductible - and I would imagine the 620 Multi to be a bit less. By contrast, same coverage for an FZ6 would cost me over $1200/yr! I also checked on a Ducati 999 and it cost $439/yr comprehensive AND collision, $500 deductible...GEICO believes in Ducatis.

All the inline 4s make their horsepower at high speeds. Even the ZX10R has no low-end grunt, not until about 5000rpm (then hang on!) and by then you're over 60mph! I find that the Ducati's low end power allows me jackrabbit starts and hellatious acceleration up to the posted speed. By that measure, NO 600cc multi can match the Duc.

Ask your local Jap dealer what the out-the-door price of their bike is, and compare that with the Ducati - I just had a long conversation with a local YamahaSuzuki dealer and discovered freight and setup are tacked-on to inflate the price of EVERY ONE OF THEIR BIKES by $1300. My local Ducati dealers don't charge freight and setup. So much for the "cheaper" Jap alternative...

Almost every European dealer (Aprilia, BMW, Ducati, KTM, etc.) will provide a test ride. For heaven's sake, you can get a test taste of $5/lb lunchmeat before you buy, so why not a test ride on a $6K+ bike!
Thanks all for the info..As far as the insurance goes any of the three bikes I am looking at will cost me $280.00 for the yr. That is with good coverages not bare bones stuff. I am going to go with the Duc. Had a chance to test the 4 cylinder and didnt care much for it..The Duc just has an appeal to it..Friend of mine told me to wait til winter to buy because they are putting a new engine in the lower cc Multi and I should be able to deal better for the 620..I'm hoping to get that maintenance for 2 yr deal they were offering on the 1000 last winter.. Thanks again all for the inputs.. :D

·
Registered
392 Posts
As for test riding, check out MCC in Villa Park. They are very generous with their demo bikes and I would give Geoff and Greg (the owners) my highest recommendation.

As for the Ducati versus anything else; it comes down to you. I have always dreamed of owning a Ducati. Nothing else compares IMO. I could have bought just about any bike out there and although I've owned my Duc for about a year and have riden it over 11K miles, it still puts a smile on my face every time I start it up. There is a plethora of good bikes out theere, but a Ducati is special.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts