Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Hook the springs onto the hanger on the engine. Put a good sized screwdriver through the loops on the other end of the springs, hold the centerstand retracted upwards with your foot. Hook the end of the screwdriver through the catch loop on the centerstand and rotate the screwdriver rearwards letting the springs slide down the screwdriver and onto the centerstand loops and you are done. Takes 5 seconds.

"Ugh, tools good."

-Neanderthal Man

'Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum onto which to place it, and I will move the world.' That small spring is small potatoes... :grin2:

Reactions: tzoykas

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Attach the springs before you install the center stand then use the center stand as a giant spring puller :)

t_bare

·
Registered
869 Posts
Another approach when installing stiff springs is to bend the spring and install a washer or a quarter coin in the gap, relax it so the coin/washer is trapped and bend it the other way and put a washer or coin in the other side. Keep repeating on each coil.

You can extend the spring by 1/4" to 3/8"s with the coins/washers creating gaps between the spring coils.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Before you attach the center stand you can notch the back 2 bolt points on the belly pan and never have to remove center stand for oil changes again .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Greetings, was about to install a new center stand on my 2016 multi, and was reading some of the tips here on this thread,
of course no instructions came in the box , and this may be a stupid question, but I assume small spring goes inside big one, but why two springs ?
That "big-un" looks beefy and strong enough to tow the bike with ...

Anyone have any other ideas/procedures on the install ? and also the "uninstall " in the future should I want/need to ...preferably safely, I'm trying to be more cautious in my old age
I watched a little u-tube video of a guy using a tool made for installs ...looked like a hollow rod , with an end scalloped back a little to fit over the nipple on engine
spring slid on with one continuous upwards motion ...he was doing it on a Suzuki or something , but there was only one spring , not a pair like I have

thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
and, the added benefit: you have change for parking meters.

;-)

Another approach when installing stiff springs is to bend the spring and install a washer or a quarter coin in the gap, relax it so the coin/washer is trapped and bend it the other way and put a washer or coin in the other side. Keep repeating on each coil.

You can extend the spring by 1/4" to 3/8"s with the coins/washers creating gaps between the spring coils.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Any suggestions on how to reinstall? TIA
Having to remove the center stand for the oil is a pain. Yes the spring is a problem.
I solved it by taking 2 wooden sticks/pegs and drilling a hole through the center of each one. I then took some weed wacker line, looped into the holes on each peg and rolled it so the pegs had about 12 inches between them. I just take the weed wacker line and pull the spring back (pulling with the pegs/sticks for leverage). The weed wacker line gets stuck once the spring is seated but it's easy to pull out.

Patent Pending

:grin2:

·
Registered
578 Posts
After modding the skid plate so I would not have to deal with the center stand anymore, the center stand leg broke, so I had to change it, again. Done with that, the damn spring breaks a few weeks later, doomed to have to screw with that sucker LOL.

I wrestled the spring on the original center stand install which was painful, and involved some bleeding and cussing. Used the coin method the second time after the leg broke, that worked just OK; it was tedious and a pain, too, particularly with the inner smaller spring to contend with. I have been unable to use the plug in and twist it in method, and I don't like trying it when the screw/shaft plug isn't concentric with it's hole anyway.

Here's a painless method that works:

·
Registered
137 Posts
The smaller inner spring in mine broke so have only had the larger outer spring for couple years, hold the stand up just fine. Dealer had no answer for why the 2 springs inquiry. I used the stand to install like mentioned above, hook spring on engine then stand, install one bolt then the other. I like the center stand and hate it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
2 springs are for safety if 1 breaks. I just place the springs and lever the stand up and start the screws, no drama. Cheers

·
Registered
578 Posts
2 springs are for safety if 1 breaks.
may be. But I can now say from first hand experience that the stand drags if the big one breaks Little one didn’t do much. Maybe keep it from bouncing as much dunno. As I came to a stop the stand was dragging.

·
Registered
417 Posts
2 springs are for safety if 1 breaks. I just place the springs and lever the stand up and start the screws, no drama. Cheers

Pretty much; attach the spring, move the stand into place, get the screws going. Spring side usually needs a little assistance to get the screw to bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Pretty much; attach the spring, move the stand into place, get the screws going. Spring side usually needs a little assistance to get the screw to bite.
+1. Alternatively, though this may be cheating a little, but as a former Olympic powerlifter, I squat down facing the bike as close to it possible, I put my left arm under the tail to pull, I grab the brake side fork with my right hand to push, I clench down on the loose end of the spring with my teeth, and just use my neck muscles to maneuver and secure it into position.

It's not that hard once you get the hang of it. True, I can only keep trying like this for 20, maybe 25 minutes at a time, but that's usually plenty for getting the spring hooked back up.

·
Registered
417 Posts
+1. Alternatively, though this may be cheating a little, but as a former Olympic powerlifter, I squat down facing the bike as close to it possible, I put my left arm under the tail to pull, I grab the brake side fork with my right hand to push, I clench down on the loose end of the spring with my teeth, and just use my neck muscles to maneuver and secure it into position.

It's not that hard once you get the hang of it. True, I can only keep trying like this for 20, maybe 25 minutes at a time, but that's usually plenty for getting the spring hooked back up.
Come on Murph, you're self plagiarising now and I know you're a better man than that: https://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/721947-dropped-again-5.html#post7005263

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
With the center stand up, I sit down behind the bike with my legs straddling the rear tire, hook the end of the springs with the Motion Pro spring hook, pull, twist, and I'm done in 5 seconds! Same method for re-installing the springs. It's a piece of cake with the right tool :)

https://www.motosport.com/motion-pro-heavy-duty-spring-hook?variant[MOP009X]=MOP009X-X001-Y001

Reactions: shorton
1 - 20 of 21 Posts