Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi all,

I currently own a BMW R1200 GSA adventure. I also have a 1199 Pano Tri. I do not use the Pano so I am going to merge two bikes into one.

I have loved the GS for its road touring. I use the bike for riding to work and I run a top box where I change into my work clothes. It has been great however it is time to upgrade.

I really want to retain a Ducati as I have owned many for a long time. However the BMW has been so good it is hard to go past. So I am considering the new 1260 DVT Enduro.

What should I do? Does anyone have any opinions of the Enduro vs the GSA?

Tron
I just recently traded my BMW R1200GS Adventure for a BMW K1600 GTL - a true (large) sport bike. Electric smooth engine and power beyond imagine. But it was not as agile as the GSA. So, I went to my dark side and purchased a MS1260 S. I have had all of the iterations of the previous Multistradas - but I was TOTALLY shocked with the new 1260 engine and suspension systems and the agility, flickability of the the new Multistradas.

The BMS R1200 GSA is nimble - once you get it moving, it turns in well and has great engine breaking. The issue is the top-heavy weight. Think of moving 7 or more gallons of gas from one side to another in corners. Add luggage and a rider and it becomes noticeable.

Don't get me wrong, I loved dancing with the big girl in the mountains. Great reliability, great torque, but slower to get into the power. When I took the Multi and casually rolled on the power - I was literally thrown back in the seat. Then I hit the tight corners and found that I was basically riding an upright sport bike.

After 20-years of riding BMWs, and still riding one, I tend to believe that they provide exactly what you need for your interests. It is up to the owner to decide what that is - true off-road riding, fire roads and light trails, touring and so forth. The GS adventure will get you to the off road areas and let you ride off road - albeit on a very heavy off road bike. It will also act as a fantastic touring bike. Think of it as the Swiss Army Knife of bikes. It is a great tool that you decide how to use.

I found that switching to the MS from the BMW was exciting Fast, extremely powerful, light, and yet still providing a comfortable riding position for longer distances. Ride each, determine which feels better between your thighs and provides the best riding position - and go with it. You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
228 Posts
You can fix a chain on the trail. Final drive on a beemer, not so much!
GSA’s awesome bike but do yourself a favour get the 1260 Enduro best bike I have ever ridden has the Italian passion and puts a smile on your face everytime. Chain driven but who cares I like looking after my bikes so cleaning the chain is a no brainer plus 158 hp and enough torque to send you to the moon. The XR IS FAST 0 to 100 but the Enduro from 80 to 160 blow you away.

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
Both are similar in size (big), Beemer has (IMO) slightly better touring chops, Enduro is definitely more sporty/fun. GSA has prodigious range with its ginormous tank. The Enduro is SURPRISINGLY nimble for its size, it doesn’t feel that much slower handling than the normal Multi on the street... only really noticeable when riding hard. Both good bikes, especially if you’re a tall guy.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts