Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I currently own a BMW R1200 GSA adventure. I also have a 1199 Pano Tri. I do not use the Pano so I am going to merge two bikes into one.

I have loved the GS for its road touring. I use the bike for riding to work and I run a top box where I change into my work clothes. It has been great however it is time to upgrade.

I really want to retain a Ducati as I have owned many for a long time. However the BMW has been so good it is hard to go past. So I am considering the new 1260 DVT Enduro.

What should I do? Does anyone have any opinions of the Enduro vs the GSA?

Tron

·
Registered
30 Posts
I owned a 2017 BMW GS and thoroughly enjoyed the bike. The handling was rock solid, acceleration good, 45 mpg and comfortable ride position ( if somewhat tall but with a 32 " inseam it was not a big problem). The electronics were useful and I came to really appreciate the gearshift up/down assist ( no clutch action needed at all). Of course, the shaft drive is nice but does add weight. I replaced it with a new 2015 Multistrada 1200 with the added panniers, center stand and heated grip package. The BMW produced 125 hp vs the MS 1200 with 160 hp. The difference in the acceleration is HUGE! The MS is also quite stable providing excellent cornering however the BMW did turn in slightly quicker but notice I did say "slightly". The MS does a consistent 44 to 46 mpg ridden aggressively on backroads. The BMW bags seemed larger and perhaps better made. Comfort-wise both bikes are good with the windshield on the BMW providing better adjustment and wind protection. Personally I much prefer the sound the Ducati makes. It seems that after about 1000 miles the exhaust sound comes into its own. The BMW is more of a throaty drone, but this is just a personal preference. I've always leaned toward twin cylinder machines ( 4 Ducatis & 6 BMW twins) but the Ducatis always sound the best. As I reread this it occurs to me that the Ducati is probably more emotionally involving to me so that is not a qualifiable entity is it? I apologize for the rambling..simply trying to provide impressions that may help.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I own a multi and have rented lots of Gs's over the past 5 years when traveling.
I think the previous post echos my sentiments and as someone said in a previous thread "the BMW is the better Chile, but the Ducati is the better bike".

I honestly think that both bikes do what they say they'll do and I don't see much between them in terms of cost, reliability etc. They are both quick and capable and you'll no doubt be happy whichever you choose.
I have a personal bias towards the passion of a Multi, but to be fair I also drive a Maserati instead of a BMW/Audi/Mercedes.

·
Hammer Down
1,594 Posts
Literally the same question being asked over on ADVRider...

I actually traded a 2014 Multstrada on a 2019 1250 GSA. I think the new 1250 is a great bike and you can't go wrong with either one. I went BMW to get rid of the chain maintenance and I felt like it was better option over the MTS Enduro.

That being said...I just wrecked my 1250 in an epic way and I'm kinda doubtful they're going to repair it due to all the damage. If they total it, I'll probably go back to a Multistrada. There's just something about owning/riding a Ducati that hits you in a way that other brands just don't.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are really going to offroad it, the GS is the obvious choice - if you've ever low speed manoeuvred both then it's pretty obvious why.

If it's just about tough looks and doing the occasional fire trail, I personally find the Multi much more characterful.

One thing though, the new 1250 is faster than any Multi in regular use. It produces a ton more torque in it's entire rev range, the only way you'd be faster on a Multi is if you go screaming to the top (which rarely happens) as the BMW doesn't really have one (it's all low and mid range grunt).

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
IMO it depends on how you ride and where you ride.

If you're all onroad and enjoy sport riding then I'd recommend the MTS (personally I'd get the S instead of the Enduro but if you're really tall then the Enduro is probably more comfortable). If you ride offroad then maybe the GSA (though again I'd get the GS because while I like riding both the GSA and MTS Enduro... they're both big and heavy and the GS is good at EVERYTHING).

Of course there's also what bike has the 'vibe' you like... and all these bikes are very good so that may be the most important factor of all.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I rode both bikes today back to back. I ordered the BMW.

For me the parts I’ve invested over the years into the current GS Rallye X can swap over to the new bike. For the Ducati I would need to start all over again. Fun but expensive.

The other major factor was the shaft drive vs chain. Never finding neatural is difficult for the BMW, Ducati always throws us a challenge and noisy chain flapping compared to shaft. Others won’t see it that way which would mean the Enduro is their better choice. Both are excellent for their own reasons.

I am also keeping the Pano 1199 Tricolor. How could I part with such a piece of art?

I hope my way experience can throw light on someone else’s in either confirming one way or another for your choices. Both at the end of the day are excellent.

Tron :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you're keeping the 1199, then I can see the rationale for your choice. Enjoy!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just wanted to chime in here on an older thread. I really don't think the BMW GS 1250 is faster than the 1260? Really? Also, I did the 2 day adventure ride on the 1260 Enduro and was able to handle it no problem and that is coming from a 2016, 1200 BMW GS. No doubt, the GS is great, but BMW is simply not the only game in town anymore!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm sorry, but I've ridden a GS1200, and I've sat on a GS1250 adventure.

The 1250 takes an already pig of a bike and makes it absolutely ridiculous. I can't imagine trying to take that giant, wide, hog...laden down with gear, on any serious offroad trails.

I just can't see how the GS would be better than the endure if they both had the same type of tires.
I just can't see it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I agree with you. I think the Duc 1260 is better Offroad. Dare I say!

I'm sorry, but I've ridden a GS1200, and I've sat on a GS1250 adventure.

The 1250 takes an already pig of a bike and makes it absolutely ridiculous. I can't imagine trying to take that giant, wide, hog...laden down with gear, on any serious offroad trails.

I just can't see how the GS would be better than the endure if they both had the same type of tires.
I just can't see it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hi all,

I currently own a BMW R1200 GSA adventure. I also have a 1199 Pano Tri. I do not use the Pano so I am going to merge two bikes into one.

I have loved the GS for its road touring. I use the bike for riding to work and I run a top box where I change into my work clothes. It has been great however it is time to upgrade.

I really want to retain a Ducati as I have owned many for a long time. However the BMW has been so good it is hard to go past. So I am considering the new 1260 DVT Enduro.

What should I do? Does anyone have any opinions of the Enduro vs the GSA?

Tron
I ride with a few GS guys. I find the GS to be a straight up touring bike, more comfort, more forgiving motor as is more docile. The MS is just more -Sport- touring bike. I know for sure the MS is helluva lot faster. Been at it with a buddy and the MS just kills the GS in acceleration

·
Registered
297 Posts
Motorcycles are not like wives. You can make a change without giving up half your net worth. I am thinking about buying a 1250 GS in the spring mostly because my Duc dealer is 4 hours away and the BMW dealer is 2 hours away. Also I want a new experience and I don't have a lot of time left.

·
Registered
228 Posts
BMW GS = Boring

I ride with a few GS guys. I find the GS to be a straight up touring bike, more comfort, more forgiving motor as is more docile. The MS is just more -Sport- touring bike. I know for sure the MS is helluva lot faster. Been at it with a buddy and the MS just kills the GS in acceleration

·
Registered
24 Posts
Before buying my 1260 enduro, I tried the xr1000 and gs1250. spent about 90 mins on the XR. Nice bike, I liked it. Then took out the GS, I took it back after 20 mins. I just found it so dull after the Multi.

Im not saying the GS is a bad bike, of course its not, but we are all a little different and for me, the 1260 enduro was the one to get.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I owned a 2017 BMW GS and thoroughly enjoyed the bike. The handling was rock solid, acceleration good, 45 mpg and comfortable ride position ( if somewhat tall but with a 32 " inseam it was not a big problem). The electronics were useful and I came to really appreciate the gearshift up/down assist ( no clutch action needed at all). Of course, the shaft drive is nice but does add weight. I replaced it with a new 2015 Multistrada 1200 with the added panniers, center stand and heated grip package. The BMW produced 125 hp vs the MS 1200 with 160 hp. The difference in the acceleration is HUGE! The MS is also quite stable providing excellent cornering however the BMW did turn in slightly quicker but notice I did say "slightly". The MS does a consistent 44 to 46 mpg ridden aggressively on backroads. The BMW bags seemed larger and perhaps better made. Comfort-wise both bikes are good with the windshield on the BMW providing better adjustment and wind protection. Personally I much prefer the sound the Ducati makes. It seems that after about 1000 miles the exhaust sound comes into its own. The BMW is more of a throaty drone, but this is just a personal preference. I've always leaned toward twin cylinder machines ( 4 Ducatis & 6 BMW twins) but the Ducatis always sound the best. As I reread this it occurs to me that the Ducati is probably more emotionally involving to me so that is not a qualifiable entity is it? I apologize for the rambling..simply trying to provide impressions that may help.
Motorcycles are not like wives. You can make a change without giving up half your net worth. I am thinking about buying a 1250 GS in the spring mostly because my Duc dealer is 4 hours away and the BMW dealer is 2 hours away. Also I want a new experience and I don't have a lot of time left.

·
Registered
3 Posts
GSA’s awesome bike but do yourself a favour get the 1260 Enduro best bike I have ever ridden has the Italian passion and puts a smile on your face everytime. Chain driven but who cares I like looking after my bikes so cleaning the chain is a no brainer plus 158 hp and enough torque to send you to the moon. The XR IS FAST 0 to 100 but the Enduro from 80 to 160 blow you away.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts