Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a Speed Sensor / ABS error. I have no speed display or ABS.

I assumed that the rear ABS sensor acts as speed sensor as well but also noticed that under the front mudguard there are two sensors, an ABS and a "detector or accelorometer" part number 55213362B (old no. 55213361A ).

Is this the speed sensor and does anyone know how to test it
Many Thanks

·
Registered
259 Posts
Got a Speed Sensor / ABS error. I have no speed display or ABS.

I assumed that the rear ABS sensor acts as speed sensor as well but also noticed that under the front mudguard there are two sensors, an ABS and a "detector or accelorometer" part number 55213362B (old no. 55213361A ).

Is this the speed sensor and does anyone know how to test it
Many Thanks

Speed is off rear wheel I believe. I would take off the sensor and see if it needs careful cleaning. I would also check the sensor gap to see if it is in spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Some reports of the rear sensor wires breaking inside the sheath due to tywraping too tight at the swing arm. Look for cables from the frame to the swing arm on the right side just under the rear reservoir. Sensor can be checked with a ohm meter. Trace out the sensor cable. Find the plug under the seat and disconnect it, then check sensor side with a ohm meter. I do not know the correct value, but "open" is bad a probably a broken wire in the cable. Some have split the cable and repaired the break by solder and shrink. I found my cables too tight on my 13 and cut the ties for slack at the swing arm. I did not have the problem, but think I prevented it by slacking the cables. Cheers Stevo

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both front and rear sensor show about 700 ohms resistance. I bought a used rear sensor from ebay but still get the Speed sensor error. Ebay sensor shows same resistance.
Safe to assume is not the sensor. Tried to check the continuity from the rear sensor connector (next to the battery ) to ABS Control unit connector but can't figure out how to unplug the ABS Control connector - any ideas?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carrying on............
Tested the cable that connects to the Rear Speed Sensor - with ignition on I had between 1.9v - 2.4v. I guess this means that this cable is OK although I thought it should be close to 12v

Another strange thing. While the sensor was disconnected I tried to switch off the ignition - it wouldn't switch off. Only way to turn it off was with the button in front of the tank under the little cover.
With the sensor connected handlebar on/off worked OK.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If the bike moves even a tiny bit (the sensor reading some speed) the bike won't turn off. Kind of a safety precaution I guess. If the sensor is disconnected and it doesn't give any reading (or gives a fault for missing) again the bike does not turn off as a safety precaution (it might be moving and the main unit doesn't know so it follows the safety rule). This is a guess. I haven't read it anywhere.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@tzoykas - you could be right, is more by design than a fault.

I know you have been doing a lot of work on your bike and I am wondering whether you can confirm my readings "Tested the cable that connects to the Rear Speed Sensor - with ignition on I had between 1.9v - 2.4v "
The connector is next to the battery - might need to push the battery a bit to the left to pull the rubber holder ( 3 connectors ) up.
NB - ignition switched off by the button in front of tank.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Problem - solved.

Broken wire on cable connected to the Front sensor -
Good to see you finally got it sorted. What is strange to me is the fact that when I got my front cable snapped, I did have a working speedometer despite the ABS warning being on. It is really mind boggling that the same problem gives different behavior from the main unit. The same seems to happen with the dreaded MAP sensor. From the moment it happened to me, I started searching older threads with the same problem, as well as noticing new ones, and found out that a faulty MAP sensor can give at least three different errors on the dash. Go figure ...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Problem - solved.

Broken wire on cable connected to the Front sensor -
Glad you found your fault. Can you pinpoint where on the cable did the break occur? Was it at a ty wrap or a tight bend? Just want to check mine at the same failure point.
Cheers
Stevo

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Steve W.
It was very frustrating - Kept checking the rear sensor wiring while it was at the front. I am surprised it hasnt happened earlier - is quite tight and flexes a lot when turning the handlebars - especially to the right.
The wire was badly corroded inside. At the end I removed about 5-6 inches and made sure the joint was not at the flex point.

Original - arrow points at break

Broken wire - turned black

Job done - see how much it bends when full lock right

1 - 13 of 13 Posts