Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
Multistrada 1200s 2013 - twinspark -

Started the 15000 mile DESMO service and already having a problem. How do I remove the side spark plug on the vertical head. Is behind the frame.
I tried with a 14mm open ended and a ring spanner but they cannot go round the plug. There is not enough room as you can see from the photo.

Has anybody managed to remove it?
Many Thanks

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I just did mine. I was able to do it with a couple of different wrenches because of the angles and limited movement, I may have even used a 9/16" spanner in the process. Of course I couldn't torque it so I used 2/3 revolution after finger tight method.

t_bare

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks T_bare,
I guess I will need to file down the side of a ring spanner and try again.
But the other annoying thing is the front spark plug on the Horizontal cylinder has seized up. Has been soaking in PlusGas overnight but still wont move and I am afraid if I force it will snap.
Very annoying on a 3 year old bike - replaced belts, filters, checked valves, replaced coolant and got stuck on 2 spark plugs :-(

·
Registered
27 Posts
How were your valve clearances? Did you have to shim any? I just did my 15k service and I had 3 closers out of spec.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I did them all. Closers set to .002-.004" and openers .005-.006" (it took me a week with 2 trips to the shop)

t_bare

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Side spark plug removed and replaced. At the end I had to file down an offset ring 14mm spanner down to 19mm diameter. A very slow process as it can turn only a few degrees at a time and quite tricky getting the new in.

Problem is the horizontal front spark plug. It seems truly stuck there and I am scared to force it. I hope it will run OK with 3 plugs - possibly that was the Ducati's rational for having two plugs per cylinder - planned redundancy :) :)

Photo of the modified spanner

·
Registered
445 Posts
Holy hell. What sadist designed this bike!?!?

Took way longer than it should have to remove and replace the plug on the vertical cylinder wedged behind the frame where no two fingers can reach.

Question though on the under-tank and front-most plug covers. These are non-traditional boots and appear more like rubber caps. Is there a secret to removing these caps? I've rotated, twisted, pulled, etc. I would expect them to pop off easily, but I'm using enough force I'm afraid of tearing or otherwise damaging them.

Any clues?

TIA

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are long rubber boots. A bit tight fit on the plug but you should be able to pull them out.
Suggest that you move the radiator out of the way to make it easier to pull out the horizontal plug.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Side spark plug removed and replaced. At the end I had to file down an offset ring 14mm spanner down to 19mm diameter. A very slow process as it can turn only a few degrees at a time and quite tricky getting the new in.

Problem is the horizontal front spark plug. It seems truly stuck there and I am scared to force it. I hope it will run OK with 3 plugs - possibly that was the Ducati's rational for having two plugs per cylinder - planned redundancy :) :)

@Stavrich Your photo didn't stick. Can you repost? I'm interested to see what you had to do. I'm about to have to do it, too.

Edit, I see that's an old post, so low expectations for the pic, but who knows...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
@shorton - as promised image of the spanner. Also, I am thinking of bending the arm to allow more space to turn it. Be warned - it will be easy to remove but very fiddling to put the new one in. A pain in the *??* till it starts on the first thread. I used a rubber tube to turn the spark plug.

It will be interesting to know how you get on

·
Registered
512 Posts
@shorton - as promised image of the spanner. Also, I am thinking of pending the arm to allow more space to turn it. Be warned - it will be easy to remove but very fiddling to put the new one in. A pain in the *??* till it starts on the first thread. I used a rubber tube to turn the spark plug.

Thank you, much appreciated. Ridiculous it's that tight. I wonder how may shops skip it. When I was a kid I worked for a couple of Volkswagen dealers. There was a engine mount bolt that was tedious to get on, hard to get to. The old guys just skipped it. The others took the slack and I never saw one fail from that omission, but I always took the time to do it (right). When you're paid by standardized hours per the book, there's incentive to take shortcuts. Which is one reason I plan to do valve service myself. I'll report back on what I did. It's going to be later in the winter when I can't ride much anymore due to cold.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
done the valves twice. Time consuming but very satisfying and no corners cut or shortcuts and always double checking everything. The bike rides well without having to replace the plug - actually it runs well with it unplugged - I wouldn't be surprised if is not replaced by some shops.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you. I'll try do it. Would you say what parts did you remove for improve the access?

·
Registered
512 Posts
@shorton - as promised image of the spanner. Also, I am thinking of bending the arm to allow more space to turn it. Be warned - it will be easy to remove but very fiddling to put the new one in. A pain in the *??* till it starts on the first thread. I used a rubber tube to turn the spark plug.

@starvich: Getting ready to order a wrench to mod for this job now. re your "may bend" comment, which way would you bend it? I ask because I was deciding on whether to get a offset angle arm box wrench or a straight one to grind down:

e.g.:
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Offset-Double-Wrench-Polished/dp/B07D73FPN2/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1543507753&sr=1-8&keywords=14mm+box+wrench

or

https://www.amazon.com/Crescent-CCW25-14mm-Combination-Wrench/dp/B00EFZQW80/ref=sr_1_12?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1543507753&sr=1-12&keywords=14mm+box+wrench

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@shorton - thinking about it and being a ring spanner, it wouldn't matter which way the bend is.
Is really tight and takes ages but it can be done. I have a suspicion that's one of the reasons of having two spark plugs per cylinder..... :)

Don't buy an expensive one....

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did the same... Modified #14 spanner. Taking it out is easy. Putting a new one is challenging as you need to align the plug and turn clockwise. I found it easier attaching a small vacuum rubber hose on the plug to help guide it to place

1 - 20 of 20 Posts