Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are photos I took of the new Multi today at the International Motorcycle Show in Seattle. I found the seating to be a little less upright than the old Multi.

Attachments

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,714 Posts
once again, great photos Bill.

doesn't that radiator bother anyone but me? at least it's not mounted way down low.

be well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
thanks for sharing. did you feel like you were sitting on the front tire scooter style like on the old multi? i'm pretty impressed with the capabilities and technology in this bike. i'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i'm also wondering about the radiator, for its possible off-road, mult-use capablities, it seems like it should have some sort of protection over the radiator and the bottom of the engine to keep rocks off of it.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,714 Posts
i won't answer for Bill but will give my own impression. it felt nothing like sitting over the front tire ("scooter style" as you say) and neither does my current Multi. if you want to feel what sitting over the front tire feels like, ride a Hyper. the new Multi seating position sets the rider more "in the bike" as opposed to "on top of" as the current one does.

hope it helps, looking forward to other's comments.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My buddy took one look at the new Multistrada at the Seattle show and put his name on the "short list" to buy it from Moto Corsa in Portland when it becomes available. Very nice bike indeed. The 1200 Honda VFR is butt ugly, imo. Hope I can buy my friends 08 Multistrada when he pulls the trigger.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My buddy took one look at the new Multistrada at the Seattle show and put his name on the "short list" to buy it from Moto Corsa in Portland when it becomes available.
It will be fun to see him fight Mark Turbo for it.

I prefer the riding position (forward lean) of the new Multi to that (bolt upright) of the old Multi. Having ridden an ST for the past seven years; the high, wide handle bars of the Multi feel odd to me.

·
Registered
504 Posts
(hope I don't upset any moderator this time..)

So you mean that the riding position is more lean forward compared to the older one? This is good news to me as one of the drawbacks of the old one was the upright position. I tried to switch handlebars but I didn't quite succeed.

The riding position wasn't a problem for urban driving but on the highway in high speed it didn't work.

It will be fun to see him fight MarkTurbo for it.

I prefer the riding position (forward lean) of the new Multi to that (bolt upright) of the old Multi. Having ridden an ST for the past seven years; the high, wide handle bars of the Multi feel odd to me.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I have dibs on the first WHITE Touring model!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
(hope I don't upset any moderator this time..)

So you mean that the riding position is more lean forward compared to the older one? This is good news to me as one of the drawbacks of the old one was the upright position. I tried to switch handlebars but I didn't quite succeed.

The riding position wasn't a problem for urban driving but on the highway in high speed it didn't work.
I didn't notice the riding position to be any further leaned forward than the current Multi. Felt just about the same to me. However, the windscreen, albeit small, looks like it will offer more chest protection than the current. It's also incredibly easy to change so I suspect there will be a host of alternative larger windscreens available for it.

·
Premium Member
12,353 Posts
Yeah the rad... I guess you can't see it when riding...Only negative angle so far.....Looking very good...

·
Registered
504 Posts
I will replace the windscreen with a lower one... I can't stand helmet turbulens.

I didn't notice the riding position to be any further leaned forward than the current Multi. Felt just about the same to me. However, the windscreen, albeit small, looks like it will offer more chest protection than the current. It's also incredibly easy to change so I suspect there will be a host of alternative larger windscreens available for it.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
I checked it out at the show, too. It has four baggage strap down hooks under the rear fender (see photo). There are two BMW-type electrical outlets that face back towards the rear wheel. The luggage rack is designed to carry a top box and has four pre-drilled holes for one. The finish details were quite similar to the Street Fighter in many respects.

Attachments

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I really want to like this bike but in all the photos I've seen it just comes across as a bit too weird looking. You guys that have seen it in the flesh, how does the styling come across in person?

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I really want to like this bike but in all the photos I've seen it just comes across as a bit too weird looking. You guys that have seen it in the flesh, how does the styling come across in person?
I've liked all the photos that I've seen but when I saw it in person, I absolutely fell in love with it! :D

Chances are that if you're on the fence looking at the photos, you probably won't be bowled over in person.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I think I'm starting to agree with you, the more I look at it the less I like it. I don't think the large radiator is an issue because the huge beak pulls your eyes away from it!! IMHO, it is the least pleasing to the eye of all the current models with the exception of the existing Multi. The Superbikes, Monster, Streetfighter, Hyper and Sport Classics are all nicer looking bikes.

Once the dust settles and all the hyp goes away it will just be another nice bike in the Ducati line up that will appeal to a specific crowd. Not the holy grail of motorcycles some new buyers are making it out to be.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
The funny thing is the more I see it (pictures only) the more I'm starting to like it. That funky little rear fenderlet would be easy to make fall off.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
The funny thing is the more I see it (pictures only) the more I'm starting to like it. That funky little rear fenderlet would be easy to make fall off.
I suspect you'll like it more in person then. :D

The 'beak', as all the detractors like to call it, is not 'huge' in person. It's all part of the styling and is functional. The oil cooler is right in there behind the 'nostrils'. I personally think the bike design as a whole works well. I'll never understand why some people are hating on it so much as I suspect those people will never understand why some of us love what Ducati have done with the Multi 1200. :cool:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think it looks much nicer than the Multi it replaces, and I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it looks in person. Now if all the electronics they have on these things remain reliable..... Like the idea of electronic suspension control.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts