Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys some advice about the Mugello GP?

Best place to watch, camping, getting there from Borgo san Lorenzo, anything?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Lars said:
Have any of you guys some advice about the Mugello GP?

Best place to watch, camping, getting there from Borgo san Lorenzo, anything?
Didn't camp so I can't tell you about that. We got general admission seating which allows you to sit - or stand - on the open grounds about the course. Based on a recommendation we got from some locals, we sat overlooking turn one at the end of the main straight. Quite impressive watching the late-braking on one of the fastest straightaways in GP. As this was the only time I've been there, I have no idea how this would compare to other spots on the course.

TIP: If you do choose this location, note that the area *above* the camera-support truck parked at turn one offers relaxed seating and shade under the trees but the truck obstructs part of your view of the turn. The area below the the truck is wall-to-wall people and gets filled very early.

TIP: The crowd approaches 100,000 on race day, the track is very long and good venues fill up fast. Due to the size, you won't have time on race-morning to walk about scouting locations in order to decide which one you prefer, so get there early. ;)

Ducati.com does offer grandstand tickets. Looks like a nice package. You do get a grandstand seat plus you'll be able to view a big screen monitor so you can see more of the race than just what's in your line of sight. None of the open seating, at least on the south side of the track, offers a view of monitors, but open seating offers a great experience of mingling witht he campers, watching the guys blowing up bikes, girl in bikini pulling wheelies, etc. The south side of the track (opposite the main grandstand side) has very few souvenir stands. Maybe more on the grandstand side if your looking for mementos.

TIP: Not a lot of concessions, so bring a picnic lunch or be prepared to do even more walking. The concession food is quite good.

Plenty of free busses are available race morning to take people from the train station at Borgo SL to the entry gate of the track. I'm sure there must be busses, taxis, etc. for those you get there for practice days or you can walk the five or so miles.

TIP: Wear comfortable shoes. ;)

The real challenge isn't getting into the track, it's getting out as you join 100,000 other race fans all trying to leave at the same time. No traffic control on the two-lane means no separate lanes for motor vehicles. Cars and motorcycles can't go any faster than the crowd of pedestrians surrounding them. Welcome to Italy.

TIP: DON'T cut through the iron fence unless you are with a local who knows how to go directly to back to Borgo S.L. and not just detour around the entrance gates.

By the time you reach the entrance gates to the track, the free busses that took you in are nowhere to be seen and the walk to the train station is another five or six miles (after standing and walking all day long) and the trains are mobbed coming out.

TIP: Stay in Borgo S.L. for a meal then grab a less-crowded train later.

TIP: Check the schedules carefully.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

Thanks for the great info. This lines up with my experience from Assen. I thought about getting the Ducati grandstand tickets but since I dont know who's joining me I ordered open seating.

I'll be there saturday even maybe friday so I'll get plenty of time to look around and join the party.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts