Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reason to use the fiberglass mat that you can buy as a kit from most MC shops over regular old (non-paper backed) fiberglass insulation you can buy at Home Depot to repack mufflers???

I don't think I'll save any money buying the stuff from Home Depot. It's just that most shops sell the stuff for dirt bikes (small single muffler), and I need to pack two large round street bike mufflers. Most shops I have looked in don't keep enough on hand to do what I need. I'd have to drive all over town and clean everyone out!

Just wondering. It seems like the same stuff to me, and I assume it should work as long as it's packed tight enough. I think my two biggest concerns would be, is it fire retardant, and will it be able to handle the heat? I probably just answered my own question with those two concerns... Thought I'd ask anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I am going to end up ordering some as it is right now. I stopped at two shops on the way home. One was out because "we stopped stocking it. No one was buying it", and the other shop was out because "we can't keep enough of it on the shelves"...

I should have learned by now to not rip something a part until I have everything in hand... What started to be simple maintenance, has turned into my bike being spread out all over the garage and in need of some fiberglass to be put back together! Oh well, I can always do some other stuff I've been putting off!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
BTW - DON'T bother with trying the old pink roofing insulation stuff! I tried it and it blows out within one trackday, and the rest turns into little rabbit poo balls ;)

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the last thing I need! Rabbit poo-balls in my cans!

I ended up ordering the kit from Two Brother's. Not bad, $20.00 a side and they come with rivets. Now i just have to be without the bike for the rest of the week. Shouldn't have sold those stock cans:mad: .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts