Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

Premium Member
Repaired only one silmoto muffler. Broke constantly and in the end I told the owner to replace the ugly馃槂 muffler with equally ugly twin muffles. Problem solved. Side note. No muffler known to man looks good on a 999 except the termi.

Registered
aww thats just mean.. ha, its ugliness and major 'tude were points of pride. I did have the piping re-welded [after the above pics were taken] by an old school weld-artist who worked on my Alfa GTV6 and some very rich owners of antique Ferraris and the like. Amazing work. The 999 was brilliant, but not evil enough for me to keep. The 1198 has that place of honor in my garage. 馃懝

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
aww thats just mean.. ha, its ugliness and major 'tude were points of pride. I did have the piping re-welded [after the above pics were taken] by an old school weld-artist who worked on my Alfa GTV6 and some very rich owners of antique Ferraris and the like. Amazing work. The 999 was brilliant, but not evil enough for me to keep. The 1198 has that place of honor in my garage. 馃懝
999 is my first Bike, Im still on a noob side but I have to say the sheer design of it it what does
They, and the 10/11 bikes, always break at a weld and then spread along the parent metal. Corrosion has nothing to do with it. In the 999 series I put it down to harmonics more than bad welds. Repaired numerous 999 mufflers both stainless and titanium along with steel and alloy subframes. The 10-11 bike exhausts I鈥檝e repaired all cracked at the front header bung, the tang that has a rubber cushion to hold the fairing away from the pipe or the rear heat shield.
One thing I have noticed with 999 series is the amount of stress put on the muffler and subframes from muffles not lining up with the mounting holes.
is thete anything to be done to avoid future breaks on the current dual posto frame and mono ones in the future?

Registered
Nope. if you have one of the updated/post-recall alum monoposto subframes, it should be good long as you dont hang panniers off it, put the girl on the back, and go ADV-ing lolz. As for the steel Biposto subframe, AFAIK, it's had no issues or recalls like the '03 Mono did.

I really dont think Ducati had in mind the crappy roads in the SF Bay Area when they engineered that aluminum subframe. Combined with a very heavy can, stiff suspension, and minefield like road conditions, it killed two of mine back in '03 with very low miles under the bike's belt.

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Nope. if you have one of the updated/post-recall alum monoposto subframes, it should be good long as you dont hang panniers off it, put the girl on the back, and go ADV-ing lolz. As for the steel Biposto subframe, AFAIK, it's had no issues or recalls like the '03 Mono did.

I really dont think Ducati had in mind the crappy roads in the SF Bay Area when they engineered that aluminum subframe. Combined with a very heavy can, stiff suspension, and minefield like road conditions, it killed two of mine back in '03 with very low miles under the bike's belt.
Understood. Current frame I have on is the darker grey steel dualposto I believe, I def prefer the mono look, dont have any panniers dont adv and one thing for sure no one else gets to ride on my bike but me, it would defeat the purpose of being unattainable lol.

I have a dillema of weather to weld my termi thst on now, replace it and put the stock can on since i have it and dont have to buy a another one, I also dont want to keep buying aluminum mono frames and risk it breaking etc. I kind of did like the dominator ovals I saw sum youtube ryder had and the price was doable also o I dont know.

question though, is riding my bike under current conditions safe? other then loosing power ofcourse or should I just pony up the money make up my mind and either get another termi bucket or dominator or pout on the stok=ck one back?

Cheers

21 - 27 of 27 Posts