Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all. I threw a leg over my still new-to-me '12 MTS1200 yesterday for what I hoped would be an awesome Sunday afternoon ride...

All was good for about 10 minutes. I was riding through town to pick up a friend and when the Multi started riding rough. It was like it was misfiring. Slow speeds were extremely rough and power deliver was way down. When I gave it more gas it would correct itself temporarily. I rode on a little more to see if the problem would correct itself. But after a few blocks that didn't work anymore either. I got on the open road and cracked the throttle and it "tried" to fix itself. It would "surge" for a couple seconds then go back to running poorly. Fuel consumption was way up - I could actually see the gauge moving it seemed. Temps were OK though.

I rode it back home and began diagnosing... The header for the horizontal cylinder was WAY cooler than the vertical one, but I wasn't sure if that was indicative of anything or not, since that header does get way more airflow. I expected it to be hot though. Anyway, I pulled the spark plug and it was very dirty and reeked of gas. I cleaned it up real good and reinstalled it, but the bike was still running poorly.

For some reason, I don't think the horizontal cylinder is firing properly. I'm not an expert mechanic, but I think this points to a bad coil pack. This would explain the rough running, dirty spark plug, and cooler header temps. The bike has right about 10K miles, so it really shouldn't be falling apart...

I found the resistance level in my shop manual for testing the coil pack. I'll bust out the multi-meter tonight and see if that points to the problem.

My main questions: Do you guys think I'm on the right track? Has anyone else had issues with the coil packs on their Multi or other Ducati?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I always think:
- Fuel
- Spark
- Air

You have the spark diagnosis going. How about fuel? Has the bike been sitting for a long time? Maybe check the injectors are flowing fuel through?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed. But what would cause the plug to foul in the first place? This isn't a 1970s 2-stroke... :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always think:
- Fuel
- Spark
- Air

You have the spark diagnosis going. How about fuel? Has the bike been sitting for a long time? Maybe check the injectors are flowing fuel through?
Is this difficult to do? Is this process described in the shop manual? Thanks!

·
North Carolina, USA
3,292 Posts
Agreed. But what would cause the plug to foul in the first place? This isn't a 1970s 2-stroke... :)
A short, internal damage, wear, evil spirits.... All can make a plug quit working. I'd swap out plugs and see what happens. Path of least resistance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds more like a dirty or failing fuel injector. Sometimes they get stuck open and over spray.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Is this difficult to do? Is this process described in the shop manual? Thanks!
It's in the workshop manual. Not a quick task unfortunately.

Certainly check for spark first because it's easy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Without pictures of the plugs from both cylinders, and a rough guess of how old they are, no idea if the plug is abnormally dirty or worn. I can tell you this: surging, especially surging that briefly stops when you apply more throttle, is a textbook symptom of a lean condition. A cylinder running lean can also be over temp, but not always.

If you don't know how old the plugs are, and you do know one of them is partially fouled, I'd replace both of them before I tried anything else. It could be a dozen other things easily, and the plugs may not be the root cause, but at least replacing them allows you to further diagnose with known good parts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Without pictures of the plugs from both cylinders, and a rough guess of how old they are, no idea if the plug is abnormally dirty or worn. I can tell you this: surging, especially surging that briefly stops when you apply more throttle, is a textbook symptom of a lean condition. A cylinder running lean can also be over temp, but not always.

If you don't know how old the plugs are, and you do know one of them is partially fouled, I'd replace both of them before I tried anything else. It could be a dozen other things easily, and the plugs may not be the root cause, but at least replacing them allows you to further diagnose with known good parts.
All good points. This bike is new to me, and without all the maintenance records I have to assume they are original. The Multi has 9500 miles on it and they aren't due for a change yet according to factory recommendations. Attached is a picture of the plug from the horizontal cylinder. It was wet to the touch...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: I tested the coil pack for the horizontal cylinder last night. Primary resistance was 1.2 ohms. It's supposed to the 650 milli-ohms (+/- 50). I think that is way out of spec and too much resistance to spark...

Secondary resistance was 18-ish milli-ohms, which sounds about right. There was no spec given for that in the MTS shop manual.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
346 Posts
1.2 Ohms doesn’t sound like a bad coil to me. The accuracy of the multimeter could easily cause a minor discrepancy of that nature. I’d try a new plug first

·
Registered
200 Posts
Without seeing the vert plug, there are too many unknowns to even make an educated guess. That plug looks rich, but not badly, it doesn't look fouled. I know pulling the vert plug is a bigger job, but you're going to have to do it if you want to figure this out. The likely causes are very different if the other plug looks just like that one, or if it's lean.

Has this bike ever had a desmo service performed on it? At seven years old I would want to get that done ASAP, regardless of mileage. If not the full valve job, at least replace the belts.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm not sure what make/model ignition coils you have on the Multi but, just for shits and giggles, I checked two known good ignition coils from my 1098 and 1198 and they both measured 0.9 Ohms
1/2 an Ohm could easily be attributed to the resistance of your test leads

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the feedback. I got to thinking about the maintenance needed and agree for sure about the belts, so I decided to take it in to the Ducati shop for that work and to determine my misfiring issue. I've got some things coming up in the next couple of weeks that will prevent me from digging into this project.

I'll update with what they find.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same Issue

Did the shop find the solution to your problem?

I have a similar issue. I have a 2012 Multistrada. Bike has 24,000 miles. Bike has surging issue at 5,000-6,000 rpm and will not rev above 6,500 while riding but will hit rev limiter while in neutral. The bike will not throw and error code on the display. I have removed and cleaned fuel injectors and run Chevron Techron with new gas and it has not helped. It feels like the bike is running on one cylinder at times and has occasional misses at low revs. The bikes torque is significantly reduced compared to a healthy bike. The big is going through gas very quickly. If i unplug one cylinder as test and try to start the bike on the other cylinder by switching out the spark plug, coil, fuel injector, map sensors it runs with all configurations. Spark plugs and coils look relatively new. Both coils and spark plug give spark. Spark plugs spark is more orange than blue. Air filter is very clean. Spark plugs looks similar between cylinders, a little dark but not bad.

My exhaust servo does not move(rusted very bad) but i have tried the bike with it wired open and shut. Wired open is not too bad(just issues listed above) and wired shut robs the bike of all its power(struggles bad up hills).

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
*** Update on this thread ***

I know this took a while (busy riding season = backlog of service work), but I wanted to fill you all in on the solution.

Before I get into it - For any of you that are curious, there has been discussion on this forum regarding Hall's in Springfield, IL losing their Ducati franchise. While this is certainly true, they are able and willing to work on Ducatis. However, since they are not a dealer, they cannot perform any warranty work. Ducati has been willing thus far to allow them to rent the Ducati Diagnostic System (DDS) to allow them to continue to diagnose problems, read/reset codes, etc. I'll continue to have them wrench on my Duc until they give me a reason not to - I've had nothing but a 100% positive experience with them over the past 20 years.

The problem that I was having was indeed with the horizontal COP, but the root cause is more silly than I could have imagined... The connector for the COP was fully seated - HOWEVER - one of the actual spades inside the connector was not fully seated and eventually backed out enough over time that it wasn't making a solid connection... The mechanic said that he's actually seen this before for all types on connectors on Ducatis. My guess is that it had been this was since the bike was built in 2012 and it just took 7 years to work it's way loose...

Anyway, connector remedied, spark plugs changed (for good measure), timing belts changed (they were overdue) and the Multi is running like a dream again.

Ride safe everyone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts