Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to remove the stock fuel caps metal bits to have them powder coated satin black. I undid all the bolts but it seems to be held in by some other means. Do you have to pull all the plastic fairing bits and tank cover to get this thing off the bike? I was hoping it was a 5 min job?

·
Registered
602 Posts
You must remove the plastics. Tedious job.
Hoses are attatched to the cap, beneath the tank cover.
Happy wrenching.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Stock cap opening radius sucks

This has to be the hardest bike to refuel I have ever had. The opening range is so small and makes it very difficult to fit the rubber boot on the pump into the tank Anyone else have this issue? Any creative solutions out there...?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dang! I was hoping it was easier. I guess I'll wait until I have to pull the plastics for something else like ECU flash or something. Thanks.

·
You're gonna love my nuts...
1,658 Posts
I usually grab the base of the rubber thing and push up. Works pretty good, most of the time.

·
Sophomore Member
3,117 Posts
To quote Blazing Saddles, "Think of your secretary."

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had better luck

You must remove the plastics. Tedious job.
Hoses are attatched to the cap, beneath the tank cover.
Happy wrenching.
I removed my stocker last weekend (to install a black billet SSC cap that looks fantastic by the way). I didn't need to remove plastics to do it. While it's a bit tight, you can remove the gas cap bolts, lift the stock cap up enough to push the drain hose off it's mount (left side of the cap) with a screwdriver, and then get to the hose clamp on the right side with a pair of needlenose pliers. Just wrap a towel around the opening so as to not scratch the plastic.

Shoot me a PM if you get stuck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I removed my stocker last weekend (to install a black billet SSC cap that looks fantastic by the way). I didn't need to remove plastics to do it. While it's a bit tight, you can remove the gas cap bolts, lift the stock cap up enough to push the drain hose off it's mount (left side of the cap) with a screwdriver, and then get to the hose clamp on the right side with a pair of needlenose pliers. Just wrap a towel around the opening so as to not scratch the plastic.

Shoot me a PM if you get stuck.
Do you mean the SSR one that's on ebay with the non-locking twist off cap? I have been thinking of replacing mine with that part or powder coating the stock one. Does it also have a connection for a drain incase of overfill?

I did not pull to hard once I removed the bolts. That's why I was asking if it is possible to do it without removing the plastics. How hard was it to connect everything back up with the plastics on. That's seems like it could be much harder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you mean the SSR one that's on ebay with the non-locking twist off cap? I have been thinking of replacing mine with that part or powder coating the stock one. Does it also have a connection for a drain incase of overfill?

I did not pull to hard once I removed the bolts. That's why I was asking if it is possible to do it without removing the plastics. How hard was it to connect everything back up with the plastics on. That's seems like it could be much harder.
Yep. Sorry for the typo. I meant SSR. Same part you're talking about. It has a single drain hose that feeds into the drain hose that will drain out the bottom of the sump. It's got a smaller diameter hose that slides right in the stock drain (the one on the left side of the stocker). The right hose on the stocker can be removed with the evap cannister removal process.

You can pull up enough to remove the hoses from the stocker without removing the plastics. the new cap and drain hose goes on easy once the stock one is removed. Not hard at all. Took me 10 minutes once I figured out how hard I could pull to get access to remove the stocker.

My take - you will spend nearly as much powder coating the stocker as you will buying the billet SSR. I also like not having a locking cap, as my key fob is usually buried in my pocket while riding and it's a PITA refueling. The SSR cap screws off with no lock.

Send me a PM and I'll send you my phone number. I can talk you through it.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
fasteddie23

Are you serious, hard to fuel ?
Do you have arms and hands ?

Get real MAN !
Well I have only been using my feet to refuel. Do you think that's the problem...?

I am dead serious. Not sure where your from but in california we have the huge rubber boots on our pumps and they are not easy to squeeze in there. Look it's not impossible but my point is why make it so difficult? Just let the damn thing swing open a bit more and it's a non-issue.

Sorry if that is hard for you to believe or understand but I find it a pain in the ass to fuel and it seems unnecessarily so.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Dang on Houdini!

Quite a tight tolerance between the cap & tank-cover.

When I tried to take the cap off (your easy way) I figured that even if I did get it off I would have a bugger of a time getting the hoses back on to re-install.

Good on you.
You deserve a Big Cash Prize.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Re-Fuel

Well I have only been using my feet to refuel. Do you think that's the problem...?

I am dead serious. Not sure where your from but in california we have the huge rubber boots on our pumps and they are not easy to squeeze in there. Look it's not impossible but my point is why make it so difficult? Just let the damn thing swing open a bit more and it's a non-issue.

Sorry if that is hard for you to believe or understand but I find it a pain in the ass to fuel and it seems unnecessarily so.
You might keep in mind California is not the only part of the World Duciti markets its bikes.
You might consider visiting with those F***kers that are running your State making those laws that are making the fueling difficult for you.
Don't blame Duciti for they are not at fault, think about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quite a tight tolerance between the cap & tank-cover.

When I tried to take the cap off (your easy way) I figured that even if I did get it off I would have a bugger of a time getting the hoses back on to re-install.

Good on you.
You deserve a Big Cash Prize.
You're right Ful. If I was going to put the stock cap back on, I'd have removed the plastics. Hooking both fuel hoses up to it would have been impossible. Removing them is tight like you mentioned, but the SSR doesn't use both. Only one, and it slides right in.

No need to get snippy. We're both just sharing our experiences with a guy who asked a question.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
602 Posts
Kudos

No worries.

I was just giving you credit.

Next time I will use a ;)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Filling up

Fasteddie23

I feel your pain with refueling the Multistrada. Ducati bruce, in the San Francisco Bay Area the air board has deemed that we have evap nozzles on our gas dispensing pumps that makes it very difficult to refuel the bike. As I see it the cap does not open far enough back or does not open to the front which would make it much easier to fuel. eddie23 what I have found is if I turn the bars to the right it gives me the most room to fumble with the nozzle.

Cheers

·
Registered
198 Posts
And I thought we had hassles in the UK? So glad we don't have to suffer all that crap you guys do, charcoal cannisters, vapour reclaiming nozzles etc, etc...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're right Ful. If I was going to put the stock cap back on, I'd have removed the plastics. Hooking both fuel hoses up to it would have been impossible. Removing them is tight like you mentioned, but the SSR doesn't use both. Only one, and it slides right in.

No need to get snippy. We're both just sharing our experiences with a guy who asked a question.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
I will be putting the stock cap back on as I just want to get it powder coated. If I have removed the charcoal evap canister can I remove one of the connections to the stock cap?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will be putting the stock cap back on as I just want to get it powder coated. If I have removed the charcoal evap canister can I remove one of the connections to the stock cap?
If you removed the evap cannister, then the hose that attaches to the right side of the gas cap (as you're looking at it from the saddle) is useless as it has nowhere to go. It normally runs out of the right side of the cap to the evap can, so you've already removed it's destination.

Since I installed the SSR cap, I removed that right side hose by simply pulling it out from below when I removed the evap can. The SSR only has one drain tube and it slides into the left side drain hose (which drains out the bottom of the bike below the sump).

However, since you're planning on using the stock cap, you'll have to plug the bung on the right side of the cap somehow......which means you'll likely have to remove plastics.

·
Registered
198 Posts
This has to be the hardest bike to refuel I have ever had. The opening range is so small and makes it very difficult to fit the rubber boot on the pump into the tank Anyone else have this issue? Any creative solutions out there...?
Yes, we all have that issue when we visit your toasted/twisted State. :p
A creative solution would seem to involve a Buck knife...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts