Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Bursig stand recently, what a great bit of kit, great quality, easy to use and works a treat! :D

Only two very minor criticisms....the instructions are clearly a poor German/English translation and there's a couple of fairly crucial details missing e.g. torque setting for the engine mount bolt that's used. Easy enough to figure out though.
Secondly, this is something that probably bugs me more than it would most people (I get a bit OCD with some bike stuff! lol), the frame insert/slider part that fixes to the engine mount bolt. I just hate the way it looks stuck out the side of the frame.......some sort of custom cap/cover is needed.

Obviously it could be removed when not in use but it'd be a pain having to refit every time you want to stick the bike on the stand and possibly there could be an issue with the engine bolt being repeatedly undone/done up?

Just curious as to the thoughts of other Bursig stand users......maybe if there was enough interest Bursig could be persuaded to design and manufacture a cap.

Also interested in comparisons with other similar lift stands, the two I'm aware of being the Motomfg stand and the Envy (uk)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Andy-

how much effort does it take to lift the MS with the stand? And how easy is it to roll around on the wheels?

I have a PitBull that came with my 1000 Multi and for $50 US I bought the correct adapter pin for the 1200 (same as the 1098/1198). It works well, but it takes a pretty firm push to get the rear end of the 1200 up, and that moment when it rocks off the sidestand is always a tad nerve-wracking...

BTW, the Ace hardware store down the road has black plastic caps in various sizes to fit the ends of aluminum lawn chair legs. I'll bet you could find one that would fit over the engine bolt adapter. Of course it wouldn't be carbon fiber :p

Dave

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm far from the fittest guy around Dave, middle aged, bad back and still recovering from major surgery on my leg a few months back and I find it easy....just a little arm muscle on the lever to lift/lower the bike.
I did have a rear paddock stand at one time and never found a technique that made it as easy to lift the bike as the Bursig. Of course ease of use is important but the biggy for stands like the Bursig is that you have both wheels off the ground with the bike safe and secure.

You mention the nerve-wracking stage of lifting a bike on a paddock stand......the only potential for trouble with a side lift stand is the brief moment when you're supporting the bike upright off its side stand whilst you 'plug in' the Bursig stand. Holding the bike by the handlbar with the bars turned a little towards yourself (if the bike starts to go it will come towards you that way;-) it's really not hard to balance the bike momentarily and after a couple of goes it's a breeze (but obviously you still take care as you don't want to drop your pride and joy!)

This will help;-)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Most impressive! I'm thinking how nice it would be to get the bike tucked away in the garage (vs. the 74 point turn I usually do to get it parked against the wall. Maybe an early Christmas present is in the works...

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have the Bursig stand and I've just "accepted" the nut protruding from the side of the frame. I guess I figure the utility of the stand supersedes the compromised look of the nut.

I really like the stand. It's great for working on the bike, and it improves storing logistics in the garage with 3 other bikes. I can move it around easily and it's easy to elevate on the stand.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
I did get mine from Germany Bill.....but notice the URL on the video ;-)
US retailer is MaxMoto:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/49204-maxmoto.html
....I believe you may be able to get some discount ;-)
Thanks Andy!

I'll send you a shiny nickel if you post i video of YOUR MTS on that stand, and you push it and let it run down the driveway. hhahahahhahaaaa

It looks like a perfect solution.
And you first hand impressions are very helpful. Thanks again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's awesome, unfortunately, it doesn't work for 2012 models (as stated on their website.)
I asked the dealer and he told me that Ducati took away the point where the bursig mounts to the bike :(

I emailed the company to see if they have some sort of solution for us 2012 riders, but I was wondering if anyone knows of another company that has something similar.
Basically, I want to be able to get home, put it on the stand, and role it into the garage...

Thanks,

L

EDIT: I got my answer from Andy (thanks) and basically, when you order it, you just need to mention that you have a 2012 and they will send you the right piece with it...

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Bursig Stand is compatible with the 2012 bikes......a little confusion arose as the Bursig website is in need of updating. The issue arises as the swingarm bolts on the 2012 bikes are 'solid' no hole in the centre as per the earlier models and the lower locating lug on the stand had a pin that inserted in the swingarm bolt hole. Bursig have addressed this and the stands come with options to suit either bike - I guess if you mention that you have a 2012 bike when ordering the stand will arrive set up right for your bike. All will be a lot clearer if you check out the photos here ;-)

I have the Bursig stand and I've just "accepted" the nut protruding from the side of the frame. I guess I figure the utility of the stand supersedes the compromised look of the nut.
Yes it's a small price to pay so to speak I guess.......I just wish it wasn't in my nature to get wound up by little details like that! I'm going to end up having something custom made I think! :eek:

Thanks Andy!

I'll send you a shiny nickel if you post i video of YOUR MTS on that stand, and you push it and let it run down the driveway. hhahahahhahaaaa
:eek: ........it'll cost ya more than a nickel! lol

·
Registered
483 Posts
I really like this stand, but it is expensive. No resellers in Aus, so I have to get it from Germany and postage is going to add a lot to the tag.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Johan.....approach a few Oz Ducati parts retailers and ask if they'd be interested in being a distributor and/or post up on an Oz Ducati forum and poll for interest in a group buy ;-)

Andy - have you found some plugs for the holes in the frame - 1 of those pics seems to suggest you have....

The top one is a standard rubber bulkhead bung/grommet that I managed to squeeze over the Bursig adapter insert.....doesn't look that good in reality and keeps popping off. I'm now thinking of getting a Delrin surround made, hex shaped hole to sit over the adapter insert, flush with the top of that and maybe shaped to look like a frame slider. Hold that in place with a frame plug like these that I already have (smaller diameter collar section to fit in the adapter insert)

I got these off an Italian chap who did have some Fleabay auctions running but I can't find any now:
[email protected]

Really nicely made ally anodised plugs....

The larger lower frame plug (swingarm pivot bolt cover) is a cheap as chips plastic cap that looks like it was made for the job...

Spec/details:
Item code 085045069903
45mm Ribbed insert, black polyethylene (Ld-PE)
product information
Minimum quantity available from Skiffy is 50 (25 pairs;-) - they must be available individually somewhere though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hello everybody!

I just wanted to chime and apologize for the fact that it took me so long to find this thread.

We are the US Importer for BURSIG Stands and REMUS Exhausts. If you have any questions regarding those products feel free to contact me and I'd be more than glad to answer all questions.

Many BURSIG Stands for the MTS 1200 have been sold to ducati.ms forum members already. Thank you AndyW.Inuk for sharing all your information and experience with the BURSIG Stand.

I can confirm that the BURSIG Stand will fit the 2012 model. There was a slight modification that needed to be done to the hardware used in the BURSIG kit but that's all taken care of:)

We have the BURSIG Stands for the MTS and many other Ducati models in stock - ready to ship. Of course ducati.ms forum members get special pricing!

Send me a pm if interested.

Regards,

Patrick

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yea!!! Patrick is the man! He is very helpful and responsive to questions. And the Bursig stand is the business. I transported my MTS from Miami to Monterrey solely on the stand with simply the wheel locks clicked i was amazed and stupefied! :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just got the stand the other day, and thanks to Andy's hand holding :) managed to get it up and running...or rolling rather...this is an impressive piece of kit, and has already come in SOOO useful, even if just for turning the bike in the garage. As a small example, my gorgeous, smart, beautiful, adoring, loving (in case she's reading) wife loves to park the car in a way that forces me to make a 33 point turn to get the bike out of the garage...now I can prop it up, turn it, put it down and be on my merry way...unlike some others, i really don't mind the insert that stays on the bike...
FWIW, I have a 2012 PP, and as Maxmoto mentioned, the only modification (if you can call it that) is on the stand and not on the bike...very easy since it involves unscrewing something and screwing something else on...

Well worth the investment...very happy customer here.

L

·
Anders in Vancouver BC
193 Posts
Has anyone used a Bursig stand with their 2013?

Hi there, I sent a message to the guys at Maxmoto. So hopefully some time later tomorrow I'll hear back from them. But I was curious if I am the only 2013 owner using a Bursig stand?

I just put it together and discovered, either a missing part or the plate was set up for the 2010-2012 MTS...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts