Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help with this gear indicator trouble, if anyone heard of a solution Id be most grateful.
Attached picture of the dash indicating C and flashing, neutral light also flashes.
The sensor is functional.
When sensor is unplugged from the harness it indicates a steady '-'.
With the sensor plugged in and C flashing, putting it in second gear will render '-' for two seconds and then back to C flashing.

Any ideas/experiences are most welcome!

Attachments

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Problem solved!

If the indicator says C it means it has lost its calibration and is now asking to be recalibrated.
To reprogram it follow these steps:
-Start bike
-Pull clutch in and engage first gear, indicator will show a '-' for a short while then C starts flashing, its now ok with first gear
-Pull clutch and engage second gear, indicator will show a '-' for a short while then C starts flashing, its now ok with 2nd gear
Repeat until sixth
Do the same going from 6th to 1st and last neutral, indicator will show N briefly and then back to C flashing.
Now go through the gears in same manner as first time, done.
Just verified doing it myself.

VERY easy looooooooooooool
This isnt in any of the manuals, found it in the panigale folder from ducati training, what a bloody joke :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Problem solved!

If the indicator says C it means it has lost its calibration and is now asking to be recalibrated.
-Start bike
-Pull clutch in and engage first gear, indicator will show a '-' for a short while then C starts flashing, its now ok with first gear
-Pull clutch and engage second gear, indicator will show a '-' for a short while then C starts flashing, its now ok with 2nd gear
Repeat until sixth
Do the same going from 6th to 1st and last neutral, indicator will show N briefly and then back to C flashing.

This isnt in any of the manuals, found it in the panigale folder from ducati training, what a bloody joke :D
Since you work for IBC and Janne, you have access to the Ducati Online Training site..? This gear indicator calibration procedure is in the Diavel service video:)

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
One has to wonder what the dealer would charge for that bit of service???

Good Post!

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What makes me upset is that its not in the WS manual, it deals with how you should deal with the clutch while taking off and you should use protection while riding such aggressive machinery, it even states what possible indications the gear indicator may have, -, 1,2,3,4,5,6, thats all, it should for shure state C and the meaning of that, as it means you need to do the above! Lame. This should be public.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Problem solved!

-Start bike
Repeat until sixth

Just to clarify, how do progress from part 1 to part 2 as it suggests you let the clutch out, in gear, with the bike running ( so you can pull the clutch in to select 2nd etc etc)

Or do you go back to neutral after each gear?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
In real life it goes like this

Put first in
Put second in
Put third in
yadayada...
Put sixth in

Then pull clutch in and step down to
fifth
fourth
thrird
second
first
then engage neutral

Do the above again (for no reason known) and its good.

Hints youre doing good is if you do all these meaningless shit you get a N for 1,5 seconds.
It gets better, second time it starts to blink the probable gears, its all just stupid to me.

·
Premium Member
12,182 Posts
Imagine how thick the book would be if Ducati explained the entire computer systems and how they work, (and how to work it)
Now Translate that into every language...

The NEW Service manuals that are Very expensive should be concise, (for the Price)

Trade Secrets? Perhaps...

Good thing there is the Internet and good fellows like yourself that share info!

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
That is great information, it is much apprciated. Thanks Tom!

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is there a way for us mere mortals to put it in calibration mode? I cannot get mine to read neutral.

Sorry, I dont know if theres a way to do that without the Ducati diagnostic tool.
However if you have a dealer within reasonable distance its done quickly, with the Ducati tool have them do this:
Global scan -> BBS -> Settings -> Reset gears, takes a second.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Problem solved!

-Start bike
Repeat until sixth

best done on the center stand... heh

·
Registered
122 Posts
I suspected as much. Mine went wonky after they replaced my skyhook computer last week. They said they had to reflash something to get her running again and this started happening after I got home. Thanks.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I found myself in this same position today...
After reading the manual I missed the bit about going back into Neutral and then going thu it a 2nd time...
So tried it on the center stand (but failed)...
Tried riding round on the roads (difficult!) and failed.
Read manual again and tried again (with more conviction) on the road.
All good now !!!!

Here what's in the workshop manual for the 2010 multi ..
Gear self-acquisition procedure
The gear self-acquisition procedure must be launched from the DDS instrument. This ensures that the data stored previously is deleted and enables the BBS to run a new gear acquisition procedure. With the engine running and the motorcycle in motion:
-
Select first gear, pulling the clutch lever completely, dashes “- -“ appear in the gear indicator display. Release the clutch, the letter “C” appears in the display. Keep the motorcycle in this gear for at least five seconds. Select the next gear
-
Repeat the above procedure through all the gears, up to sixth gear.
-
Downshift through the gears from sixth to first, pulling the clutch lever completely before and releasing after each gear change.
-
Reselect neutral and keep in neutral for at least five seconds, repeatedly pulling the clutch lever completely and releasing.
-
Shift up through the gears from first to sixth, pulling the clutch lever completely.
-
Downshift through all gears to neutral and switch off the motorcycle.
-
The self-acquisition procedure is complete.

Works a treat ! (Thank goodness!! ;-) )

·
Registered
56 Posts
I know is an old post but a very useful one.

Multi 1200s 2013

Just to say that I got the "C" after I disconnected the dashboard to remove the light fairing.

Thanks to this post I re calibrated the gears.

Still have the Engine error but I think this is because the air sensor is still disconnected - side fairing removed
@TomTom - many thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts