Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I alone in thinking the MTS is the perfect bike for a post-apocalyptic world infested with zombies? Enduro capable for finding zombie-free zones off the beaten path, Sport mode for hauling @ss when you encounter a herd, Touring mode for those rare zombie-free stretches of the open road. Urban mode if you have to venture into the city, but this is highly discouraged. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
As much as I love my MTS, when the Zombie Apocalypse arrives, I think I'll be taking my Triumph Scrambler into the wilderness. I think there's more chance of keeping the Scrambler running in a post-Ducati service era! :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Am I alone in thinking the MTS is the perfect bike for a post-apocalyptic world infested with zombies? Enduro capable for finding zombie-free zones off the beaten path, Sport mode for hauling @ss when you encounter a herd, Touring mode for those rare zombie-free stretches of the open road. Urban mode if you have to venture into the city, but this is highly discouraged. :eek:
I think your on something, errr I mean onto something :D

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Have to agree with Mark there. The EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) will wipe your ECU/Can/Insrtument panel clean....won't even start.
Anyway...don't worry as 21st Dec is the end any way....Nostradamus AND the Mayan callender all say so. We have a big aprty planned...just in case!!

·
One Down, 8 to Go
159 Posts
Only one Top Gear approved post-apocalypse ride - Pontiac GTO, Judge edition, in screaming yellow.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
It depends on wether the Zombies are of the slow type (like The walking dead) or the fast type (like in 28 days). As much as I love my MTS, if they were slow I would be looking at a lightweight, full off road bike with a big fuel tank and the best fuel economy. They should be reliable, need no maintenance except an occasional chain lube and a bit of fresh engine oil. They have to be rugged and have little to go wrong. I would never use a quad as they are too unstable on rough ground and can overturn if you turn too past and pin you under them as a home delivered zombie snack. Fuel will be a problem so economy will be a great asset.

In TWD, Darryl's triumph Bonnie with a peanut tank is exactly what NOT to have.

A Honda CTX200 Agricultural bike would be my first choice.

These things have big racks and can carry a sheep on the back and a bail of hay on the front. Thay have extra wide mudguards with extra flaps so you could run over a zonbie without getting too m ush brains and gore on you. They also have strong protection bars that protect the foot and hand levers that could be very handy when Zombies attack. The engine has a large and strong protection plate as standard. It has electric and kick start. They can do more than 100km/hr and will cruise at 90. They have a relatively small tank but are ecomomical and you could fit a 20 Litre tank and even pannier tanks if needed. Air cooled so a holed radiator is not an issue. they are very quiet so not to scare stock.

A lot of of Ag bikes 2-strokes like the Suzuki TS185ERs things but I think the ring-ding would attract attention. Like this:

This is what happens if you don't have a big rack on the back. You think he is carrying lunch or is he on a date?

This photo reminds me that I would wear a full face helmet and motorcross armour including a neck brace. Easy to move in, cool and should be near to bite proof.

After all, you only need to go a little faster than a shuffle pace. There are older versions called CT200s that have automatic transmissions and this would allow you ride past with your Katana (sword I mean) and trim their necks without the obvious risk of stalling.

I would carry as little as possible. I would use a Katana with a automatic pistol as a backup. I would not carry an assault rifle even if I could get one. A Jack Russell may be useful also.

Australians are good at this stuff. We use CT90s as postal delivery bikes and every year have a "Postie bike challenge" riding across a very large desert.
Postie Bike Challenge - gallery
The bikes often have better tyres, big acerbis 20L tanks, upgraged suspension.

There will be no zombies in the desert because there are no people.

Finally, if you want to watch some excellent Zombie movies get The Horde (La Horde in french) and The Dead. Excellent.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it me, or is there something disturbing about this pic...? See, the sheep can't even reach the gear shifter.:eek:

I've seen that picture before, captioned as "Date night in Utah." Probably captioned by someone in Wyoming.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
But it is Australian.
Maybe that is his version of an airbag?

·
Super Moderator
8,249 Posts
I´ll be going for the Husqvarna 258 Swedish army bike.
200cc/22hp, automatic gearbox, 90mpg and fully offroad capable with skis for the winter. 21liter/5,5gallon(us) gastank and capable of carrying 200kg/440lbs of rider+gear.
Add that the bike has spareparts stored on every swedish military base and that its very easy to work on including massivly detailed "diy" repairinstructions written for conscripts.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yes, I have.... unfortunately.

The whole concept of a zombie apocalypse might as well be pink unicorms and glitter invading the earth, from a probability standpoint. But I got sucked into the storyline.

Some mutated virus with an appropriate incubation window to foster spreading via world travelers, that leaves people alive but crazy out of their minds yet neutralizes higher thought processes while amping up the cornered animal response 24/7, would be more plausible. Sort of like I am Legend but without the super-human strength the infected possessed in that one. And maybe 10% of the world population would have natural immunity for some yet-to-be-discovered reason. And there would have to be no way for the immune to survive in the presence of the infected except by eliminating the infected... kill or be killed... so as to remove moral responsibility for hacking them up or blasting them to smithereens.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Cool but depressing thread. Only 18 days to go:(:(:D

·
Premium Member
12,416 Posts
Watch out .I'll be the baddest ZOMBIE on My Multi.....

·
North Carolina, USA
3,321 Posts
My survival vehicle of choice. :think:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Damn and bollocks.
They have delayed the launch of World War Z. Looks awesome and I can't wait. Read the book, listened to the podcasts.

Trailer here:

Scary... Fast type zombies and lots of them.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
There is only one zombie approved bike and it's a KLR. They didn't change 'em for 20 years, they'll run on crap gas, and they are impossible to break. Here is my old one and a buddy's during a zombie test run.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But dont they have an inner tube in the tire making fast tire repair not possible? Would it be better to have a wheel rim that is cast enabling tubeless tires instead of a traditional spokes type? Can a KLR be fitted with such?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts