Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I purchased my V4S 6/28 and was told that the DOT approval for activating the radar was coming soon. Well it was approved as of July 1st and my bike was in for its first service on July 2nd. I just read on Tuesday where it had been approved but yet they didn't mention it when I had the bike in last Friday. I called them to setup an appointment to have my radar activated and they had to do some research to verify. It took some time on the phone but they did confirm it and then informed me that they needed a special jig setup with mirrors to callibrate the radar and that they have not received it from Ducati yet and it could be 30days or so before they do. Now this dealership is over 100mi from me because they offered me the best deal. I stopped in to my local dealer and inquired about what it takes to get the radar setup and they did confirm that the jig might be needed for setup but there was a chance that it may have been calibrated from the factory and just needed to go through a diag check and then turned on. Only if the radar is out of spec do they need to use the special jig to get it into spec. I guess I'm just frustrated because they had my bike in servace and hooked up to the computer so I feel they could have at least looked to see if they could activate the radar. I also have a problem with it seeming like a customer can have more information about stuff like this than the dealership so either they are being shady about something or people are just not doing their job and staying on top of updates and providing the best possible information to the customer.

Is anyone else here in the US having to wait on their dealership to receive the jig in order to get their radar activated or having any other issues getting it done? Would love to hear your experiences.

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S, 2015 KTM Superduke 1290
13 Posts
So I purchased my V4S 6/28 and was told that the DOT approval for activating the radar was coming soon. Well it was approved as of July 1st and my bike was in for its first service on July 2nd. I just read on Tuesday where it had been approved but yet they didn't mention it when I had the bike in last Friday. I called them to setup an appointment to have my radar activated and they had to do some research to verify. It took some time on the phone but they did confirm it and then informed me that they needed a special jig setup with mirrors to callibrate the radar and that they have not received it from Ducati yet and it could be 30days or so before they do. Now this dealership is over 100mi from me because they offered me the best deal. I stopped in to my local dealer and inquired about what it takes to get the radar setup and they did confirm that the jig might be needed for setup but there was a chance that it may have been calibrated from the factory and just needed to go through a diag check and then turned on. Only if the radar is out of spec do they need to use the special jig to get it into spec. I guess I'm just frustrated because they had my bike in servace and hooked up to the computer so I feel they could have at least looked to see if they could activate the radar. I also have a problem with it seeming like a customer can have more information about stuff like this than the dealership so either they are being shady about something or people are just not doing their job and staying on top of updates and providing the best possible information to the customer.

Is anyone else here in the US having to wait on their dealership to receive the jig in order to get their radar activated or having any other issues getting it done? Would love to hear your experiences.
I'm in a similar situation. I bought my bike about 200 miles from my location as I have a history with them and they offered a good deal. When I picked up my bike last Saturday they knew about the US approval. However, they had not turned on the ACC on any bikes yet. They also mentioned that they had to buy a '...$3500 tool from Ducati..." in order to turn it on. I decided since I'm broke from buying this expensive bike and the topcase and the full exhaust, etc I will wait awhile to have my local dealership turn it on. I figure I'll give them some time to figure out how to do it before they get my bike. ;) They were talking about $800-ish and an hour of labor.

Reactions: Revilok

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
My dealer, Moto Forza, told me they wanted to complete the activation on a bike they just got in before doing it on mine. The service writer said he heard two versions of the process. One went smoothly the other version was a challenge. He stated you don’t know what version you are going to get into you plug it in.

I made an appointment for next Thursday.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My dealer, Moto Forza, told me they wanted to complete the activation on a bike they just got in before doing it on mine. The service writer said he heard two versions of the process. One went smoothly the other version was a challenge. He stated you don’t know what version you are going to get into you plug it in.

I made an appointment for next Thursday.
They must be talking about one version is where it was calibrated from the factory and they just need to go through the steps to actvate it and the other is where it is not in spec and the tech has to setup the jig and go through the whole process of getting it calibrated within spec hmself. I was also told you don't know which you need until it is hooked up to the computer. Surprisingly it was my smaller local ddealership that told me this. The larger dealer where I purchased the bike didn't seem to know this. But maybe they haven't performed either proceedure yet so they don't really know. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Fwiw, my VW Touareg has the Adaptive Cruise Control(ACC). yes they have a setup with mirrors/lasers and it's an involved process. Certain parameters have to be established with any radar system for it to "know" relative positioning.

I'm not surprised some dealers are unaware/ignorant to the process.

I'd have expected these to have been calibrated at assembly/pre-shipment, then disabled for USA market. Hopefully it's the simple process of checking the box and out the door.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fwiw, my VW Touareg has the Adaptive Cruise Control(ACC). yes they have a setup with mirrors/lasers and it's an involved process. Certain parameters have to be established with any radar system for it to "know" relative positioning.

I'm not surprised some dealers are unaware/ignorant to the process.

I'd have expected these to have been calibrated at assembly/pre-shipment, then disabled for USA market. Hopefully it's the simple process of checking the box and out the door.
I get the process and don't have a problem with it to make it work properly. My concern is that the dealer I bought the bike from doesn't seem to know fully what's going on with it or they are pulling me along. One of the two....

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I spoke to my mechanic today. He told me he intends to calibrate each them regardless of if they were calibrated at the factory. His take on it was they have the tools, they will have the bike, why not ensure each one is calibrated as it leaves his shop.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I still have my appointment for Saturday. I will most definitely try to talk the tech into turning this thing on...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I spoke to my mechanic today. He told me he intends to calibrate each them regardless of if they were calibrated at the factory. His take on it was they have the tools, they will have the bike, why not ensure each one is calibrated as it leaves his shop.
I understand saying that but if it comes up as in spec, what else are you going to do to it? Doesn't make complete sense.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I get the process and don't have a problem with it to make it work properly. My concern is that the dealer I bought the bike from doesn't seem to know fully what's going on with it or they are pulling me along. One of the two....
I’m not sure your dealer is the only one in the dark. I was talking to the service tech today and asked if they had done any ACC/radar yet. He did not know much about it. He then said one of the other tech’s had to take the training. You would think Ducati would have made training and tools available so dealers were ready to go. And you would think that the dealer service department would know about such an innovative new feature in a motorcycle.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is probably more the real deal. It's more about getting the techs to the training than it is waiting on the hardware. I'm really not upset about it but rather just trying to get a bigger picture to see what going on around the rest of the country.

·
Super Moderator
5,512 Posts
Is it true that once activated, you can only use the cruse control in "adaptive" mode?

·
Registered
141 Posts
So I took mine to the dealer this morning to get the Adaptive Cruise Control activated. The first thing they do when they plug the bike in is try to get the bike software up to date on every aspect before they could even make an attempt at enabling anything else (TPMS and ACC/Blind Spot in my case). So that process has failed for the dashboard upgrade and my bike is bricked and sitting at the dealer in a boot loop.

Tech tried every step of getting it unbricked all day long, consulted with a regional support tech to no avail. The "this process could take up to 18 minutes" just sits there and fails to complete every time.

Best case they will have it sorted out Tuesday and I will get my bike back. Worst case my bike will need a new dashboard which will put me out of commission for an unspecified amount of time. To say I'm disappointed and bummed is an understatement. The dash installation/recovery manual literally states "you will never have a bricked dash that will require replacement". Well I guess mine proved them wrong.

In unrelated news my bike also has a blown fork seal that will need repair and replacement. The brand new one with zero miles sitting on the floor has a leaky fork too that needs a warranty repair.

·
Super Moderator
5,512 Posts
In unrelated news my bike also has a blown fork seal that will need repair and replacement. The brand new one with zero miles sitting on the floor has a leaky fork too that needs a warranty repair.
Bummer to hear about the dash!

I too had to have a fork seal replaced at the 600 mile service.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Best case they will have it sorted out Tuesday and I will get my bike back. Worst case my bike will need a new dashboard which will put me out of commission for an unspecified amount of time. To say I'm disappointed and bummed is an understatement. The dash installation/recovery manual literally states "you will never have a bricked dash that will require replacement". Well I guess mine proved them wrong.
Ok I wasn't sure if I should spend the $$$ on this feature, since I dont really care about it. But now I'm thinking I wont bother at all.
Hopefully you dealer and Ducati will be good about the situation. I'd expect a loaner bike for the time being and a free activation of the radar for the inconvenience.

·
comrade moderator
27,424 Posts
Personally I wouldn't want it. My Dad's RAV4 has it as well as my Wife's Honda Pilot and I hate it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ok I wasn't sure if I should spend the $$$ on this feature, since I dont really care about it. But now I'm thinking I wont bother at all.
Hopefully you dealer and Ducati will be good about the situation. I'd expect a loaner bike for the time being and a free activation of the radar for the inconvenience.
Personally I wouldn't want it. My Dad's RAV4 has it as well as my Wife's Honda Pilot and I hate it.
I'm also leaning towards not getting it immediately, especially since there's not a lot of details about what's involved with it yet, (and other things about this bike) at my dealer.
I have ACC / BSM on my 4runner and it works well - but there's times where I've just switched it off and just driven because I'm rarely "not engaged" with the task of driving - I imagine moto riding is the same way.

It DOES work well when you're using CC motoring along and traffic is sparse enough that you can just sit back and relax - it makes cruise control effortless.
The blind spot monitoring I'd like to have, but I'm curious how noticeable it is while riding. This morning when I was out on the bike, I was trying to observe how many times I'd notice my mirrors while riding with cars around me on the freeway.. I am not sure I'd notice the LED indicators but I'd like to try it out to see for myself.

To date, the dealer has not mentioned the ACC availability or talked about me purchasing it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I can't wait to have it turned on. I love it on all my cars and use it all the time on highways.

Note that my difficulties have nothing to do with ACC, the dashboard was bricked during a standard software upgrade to the dashboard, the dealer couldn't even get to the part where he was going to enable the ACC.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts