Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if a twistgrip from a 1000 MTS would fit an ST3?
From what I understand this would create a slightly less sensitive throttle as the outer diameter with the cable on it is a little smaller.. . .. but also. . the MTS heated grips would fit.

thanks

David

·
Registered
647 Posts
It will certainly fit the bars but the MTS uses a 2 wire push-pull set up. You would be able to use the opening wire only and blank off the hole for the closing cable but you may need to play around with the cable length and get a custom one made up, especially if they use different threads on the twistgrip end, although that's unlikely.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I put a Throttle Tamer by G2 Ergonomics on my ST3 http://www.g2ergo.com/shop/catalog/Street-4-1.html It did wonders to tame down the abrupt throttle action I was having with the stock throttle.
This solution won't solve your attempted heated grip desire, but you can always put aftermarket heated grips on. I have some of them my bike with the Throttle Tamer.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I'll second RDuc3's comment on the Throttle Tamer. Well worth the money. It took a lot of the sensitivity out of the first 1/4 turn of the throttle. There is less arm fatigue when riding with a passenger and getting stuck in traffic.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys

And the 14 tooth front sprocket doesn't help either. The book says 15.

David

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
14T sprocket?
The ST3 came with a 15T front, 42T rear sprocket set which, for most people is geared a bit tall, if you do any around town riding. Changing the 15T front to a 14T just lowers the gearing, without throwing away a perfectly good chain and rear sprocket.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
14T sprocket?
The ST3 came with a 15T front, 42T rear sprocket set which, for most people is geared a bit tall, if you do any around town riding. Changing the 15T front to a 14T just lowers the gearing, without throwing away a perfectly good chain and rear sprocket.

Yip...bought it used. The dealer put new sprockets & chain on. I decided to count and it is 14T & 42T. It's OK. Our speed limit here is 62mph (100kph) so the 14T may be for the better.

David

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
If you think 15/42 is tall...try a ST4S with it's stock gearing of 15/38. 6th gear comes into mind at close to 100mph... I'm going back to my ST2 15/42 gearing for fun and keeping me "more" legal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts