Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test rode a new 1100s MTS the other day. I only was able to ride it for about 10 miles in San Francisco. A mix of city, highway and a couple twisty turns.

My initial reaction was I needed more time on the bike. I wasn't 100% blown away but it was comfortable, liked the riding position and the feel.

A few questions. Let me start by saying I have a 1998 ST2. I like the bike but it's a bit old and I've had some maintenance issues and on longer trips I get fatigued due to being a bit hunched over.

So, my questions;

1. I was EXTREMELY disappointed with the sound of the stock exhaust. My st has gianelli pipes and it rumbles. With a full termi on the MTS does it still sound like a lawnmower? Does it have any rumble to it?

2. The front end on the MTS feels super light-too light? I'm used to a more stable feel than the MTS. I just got back from a 2,000 mile trip and there were some heavy winds. All I could think is the MTS felt like a heavy moped(again, 10 miles of experience).

3. Throttle feel. Again, VERY light feel-moped like in my opinion.

Are these concerns things that you get used to and never look back? Or are they things you miss from something like what I'm currently riding? I know the kachinga-chinga dry clutch noise will be gone-but the bike seemed so subdued compared to my st...

Wish I could ride one a bit longer.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
we wish you could have ridden one with the suspension dialed in to match you! :)

1) personal preference. i like my Multistrada on the quiet side as i don't want much sound on the long rides, it's easier on the ears. plus, i have other bikes that rumble, and rumble lots. but hey, that's just me! for whatever it's worth, the Termignoni kit for the bike isn't that loud either, but it helps wake up the motor a bit. Then again, so does an $80 Fat-Duc Manipulator and iridium spark plugs!!! UNBELIEVABLE!

2) please take the time to have the suspension measured and set up to your specs, it will make a WORLD of difference.

3) i personally can't dial in to what you're saying as I have three motorcycles with the same exact motor, and they all pull pretty much the same way. what i have come to appreciate is a Fat Duc Manipulator on the Multistrada (stock exhaust) which has made a world of difference (that coupled with iridium spark plugs). what a difference, perhaps others will chime in on this as well (BroMike, John, etc).

I gain nothing from trying to sell you a Multistrada, but I hope to not lose you to the wonderfulness over issues that can be easily addressed.

best success!

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
There are two solutions that will fix both your concerns. In order to settle the suspension done get it dialed in by a suspension guru. My bike felt light as well, especially coming out of turns, a pogo effect. Rebound damping fixed that. Sag is first and the rake my have something to do with the lightness, whatever the case a suspension person will transform the bike to your liking. The second fix is installing the FatDuc manipulator. It is hailed as the cheapest fuel air mixture solution money can buy. Our bikes come from the factory on the lean side. They get leaner when you do an aftermarket exhaust or open up the airbox. The FatDuc is an ingenious device that fools the ECU into thinking its in a richer mode. Thus, you eliminate jerkiness, freeway surging between 3-4K RPM, popping on decel and wandering idle. The bike transforms into a smooth and progressive powerplant, especially at lower speeds. Couple that with some NGK iridium plugs and you will have a newer than new machine.

Part of the lightness to the front end may be a perception issue, like riding a dirtbike. But, I think due to being more upright you have less pressure on the grips/wrist, therefore less pressure on the fork rebound when going over bumps. This could also have an impact on rebound during quick accelleration, but I'm just a novice and I'm guessing. There are many others around here who can offer substanciated information on this subject.

Exhaust sound is a personal thing and can be manipulated depending on which system you go with. I know the stock system is very tame sounding yet I have read there are more owners than you would think that prefer it that way. Its called peace and quiet while on the road. I was one of those, but at this time I'm getting more inclined to change that. Budget permitting, I would like to go with the full Zard exhaust. Awesome looking system since I'm biased towards the 999 looking rear end and Zard has a good reputation for being compatible with the stock ECU. The Zard engineers purposely work on that. Through all my research on the subject, a FatDuc (if that) is all thats needed. The alternative used to be a new and expensive ECU, no thanks.

·
Ducati Designs
1,124 Posts
Key to getting some more throatiness is getting rid of the cat convertor/collector/udder and going with a complete exhaust system. The slip-on termis are not much louder than stock, more show than go. I use Staintune, very loud without attenuators (I use the large bore inserts), lots of nice raspy roar. For more rumble, try the Remus system, as well as others. A good exhaust and a proper mixture really bring these bikes to life.

Don't understimate the value of some break-in; these bikes are pretty docile and reluctant when new, but loosen up nicely with a few K on the odo. The FatDuc O2 manipulator lets you get some fuel into the equation, cures the surgy, flat throttle response and smooths out the bike top to bottom.

Yes, the steering is light, much lighter than your ST. Those big bars take a while to get used to after the heavy-nosed, slow-steering ST. Your rear ride height was pretty low when I saw your bike, and the rear suspension looked very soft when you rode away, so I suspect your ST feels very heavy in the steering department. I echo oalvarez, sage advice; a properly setup MTS will still have a light touch, but can be very stable and easy to handle. Definitely not a rail in the sweepers, but the trade off is great control at lower speeds, rough roads, and the really tight stuff. Best bike for all roads in the Ducati stable. Go for the S if you can; the Ohlins suspension is more supple and more flexible in setup, well worth the price delta.

pg
DD

08 MTS 1100S "DSIII"

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
One more point if I may; the fuel consumption drops off considerably with an aftermarket exhaust kit. Say goodbye to the 50mpg days :(

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paul, thanks for your input. I need to find someone that can setup my suspension better for me. I haven't a clue what I'm doing with it. I have managed at least to set the fork up so it feels good and stable. The rear though, I'm at a loss.

I need to find a MTS locally that has the full exhaust, etc and see/hear it. The sound/feel of a bike is (dorky I know) important to me. I don't want anything annoyingly loud but I like the sound. My ST sounds nice to my ears-could use a good tune I'm sure but you get the point.

By the way, how do you deal with the bugs in S. oregon? Holy crap. I rode at dusk from Crater Lake to Klammath Falls. GNARLY bugs. It sounded like it was raining. Turning on the brights made it look like I was jumping into warp speed. Visibility was a serious issue. Someone told me they introduced those bugs to eat the mosquitos....? Man, I hope it was worth it. I'm trying to figure out how to get all the bugs out of the nooks and crannies of the bike-especially around my new headlights. Which are fantastic....

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
There are some magnificent threads on the subject of setting up a suspension with "preload/sag" being your starting point. You could always start at the factory suggested
compression/rebound settings and tweak from there. For me it's been a great subject matter to learn about but I'm far from proficient which is why leave it up to the pros. A few pushes on your bars and rear seat will reveal a lot to them. Kinda fun to watch, but important too to understand.

·
Ducati Designs
1,124 Posts
Gotta love thise Klamath Falls midgies! Green clouds that look like tornadoes on the horizon. I've seen cars literally flocked in green after a drive through there. Nice country, but the bugs can make it a bit primative.

pg
DD

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
I traded in my ST3 for an '08 mulit two years ago, and have absolutely no regrets. I traded for the same reason you mentioned, the uncomfortable riding position on the ST compared to the extremely comfortable upright ergos on the Multi.

Ditto on the other's advice, particularly the Fatduc. After a few k miles, you will not miss your ST at all.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Paul, thanks for your input. I need to find someone that can setup my suspension better for me. I haven't a clue what I'm doing with it. I have managed at least to set the fork up so it feels good and stable. The rear though, I'm at a loss.

I need to find a MTS locally that has the full exhaust, etc and see/hear it. The sound/feel of a bike is (dorky I know) important to me. I don't want anything annoyingly loud but I like the sound. My ST sounds nice to my ears-could use a good tune I'm sure but you get the point.

By the way, how do you deal with the bugs in S. oregon? Holy crap. I rode at dusk from Crater Lake to Klammath Falls. GNARLY bugs. It sounded like it was raining. Turning on the brights made it look like I was jumping into warp speed. Visibility was a serious issue. Someone told me they introduced those bugs to eat the mosquitos....? Man, I hope it was worth it. I'm trying to figure out how to get all the bugs out of the nooks and crannies of the bike-especially around my new headlights. Which are fantastic....
You might want to ask an organizer of a track day down your way if you could just show up and utilize the services of the suspension guru when hes not busy. A few guys up here in Nor Cal have done that without a problem. Since you didn't pay for the track day you take the bike outside the track and check out the adjustment. You then bring the bike back and tell the suspension guy your impressions. Or, you might want to consider signing up for a track day and make it official. That way you can do laps and return to his tent at any time.

·
Registered
322 Posts
tahoest2

You really need a day our more to really be able to test the bike. My 2.5 week old multi only had 858 miles on it yesturday morning had 1161 miles on odo when I got home. Up until this point I really did not like the seat on the 08 I do have a comfort on order and the wind buffeting going to work I don't like either to work 28 miles one way. But after 300 miles yesturday I found out how smooth it really is the seat not bad at all. And the twistys I could not tell yet if I was going faster our slower because it went through so easy felt like I was going slower pace but I rally think the bike is so smooth it faked me out . Until I ride with the faster guys I won't really know. Fuel mileage was good. And for some reason yesturday the wind buffeting I did not notice.....................Then again I was running at a decient pace and in twisties not to much highway stuff. I think when a guy is just sitting on the interstate that gives a person time to think about comfort etc..............But then again interstate is no fun know matter what ya ride.

·
FangMerchant #1
5 Posts
MTS Performance

The MTS feels light because you are accustomed to a heavier front end and the stock springs need to be bumped up 10 lbs., minimum. I have a 2003 - 999s, a 1994 - 900 (944) SS SP, and a 2005 and a 2007 MTS. We ride as many country back roads as we can find and the MTS is the best model I have ever had for that kind of riding.

Also! They benefit greatly by having the valves degree'd and the Dyno-Tuned Power Commander on it. Then you will have a fantastic back road distance sport-riding bike that can easily cruise at 100 mph all day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts