Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
You can't just install the sensors and have them work automatically, if that's what you're asking. A dealer will need to enable that feature using a Ducati computer first.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I believe you'd also need to re-balance the wheel once installed, since the added weight concentrated on a specific location will likely create a lot of vibration in speed if not properly counter balanced.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
The tpms sensors I'm seeing are for the 1260... do you know the 16 ecu will support them? Unless ducati added support to their firmware (in my experience that's... HIGHLY unlikely) they won't... they're also twice as expensive as they should be (thanks ducati).

I use steelmate tp-91i on my 15... they've worked great for 2 years now and are internal mount (not a fan of the big button tpms kits). They have an ugly chrome trim bit on the readout but that ring is removable... if I wasn't so lazy I'd take it off and paint it to match the flat silver accent bits on the Multi. As a bonus... the entire kit is quite a bit less than one of the duc sensors.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Regular tire gauge works fine. :)

If a tire goes flat while riding, you will notice.
I had one go low from a screw on the highway... it was not that noticeable going straight until it was very low. That’s why I bought the sensors.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I suppose they might have helped the time my rear went from good to destroyed in about 2 minutes.
First the front felt funny and imprecise. As I pondered and rode along it got worse, then started to tank slap.
Moderately I guess, I was able to get it stopped on the fog line of the road, and got someone to call a tow, cuz no cell coverage.

·
Registered
671 Posts
The tpms sensors I'm seeing are for the 1260... do you know the 16 ecu will support them? Unless ducati added support to their firmware (in my experience that's... HIGHLY unlikely) they won't... they're also twice as expensive as they should be (thanks ducati).
There are Ducati sensors designed for the 15-17 DVT bikes. I know that for certain, since my dealership mistakenly ordered those sensors for my bike initially, instead of the slightly different sensor/stem for the 1260 bikes. The two are physically identical, but not compatible.

What I don't know is how the 15-17 sensors would be enabled, I just know they exist.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Ahh well then you’re right they’ll certainly need a dealer to set them up... even LIGHTS need a dealer to enable them on these bikes :)

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
I suppose they might have helped the time my rear went from good to destroyed in about 2 minutes.
First the front felt funny and imprecise. As I pondered and rode along it got worse, then started to tank slap.
Moderately I guess, I was able to get it stopped on the fog line of the road, and got someone to call a tow, cuz no cell coverage.
Yep I was running the stiffer carcass Angel GT's (IIRC) for touring and on I70 I noticed nothing until I changed lanes... and then it was "woh something is not right". Pulled off and my rear tire looked like I'd just finished a few hard laps at Laguna. Started looking at options right then... but at that time there were no ducati options for the 1200 (still not clear if the 15 DVT's firmware supports the Duc TPMS)... but yea there ARE 1200DVT tpms options from Ducati, which is great. The Steelmate internal sensor units have been very reliable and trouble free and have not caused issues even on my BST's (just have to make sure they're balanced) so I don't regret that purchase... but having everything on the dash would be great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts