Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Just joined and am getting my first MTS so am hoping to get some advice..

I've decided on a 1200 'S' Touring version Gen 1 (2010-12 w Ohlins) or Gen 2 (2013-14 w Sachs/Skyhooks)
1) which system is better - the Ohlins or the Sachs/Skyhooks?
2) What are common issues/faults to look for?
3) other tips and accessories to look for?

Trying to get a bike that has just had its major (30K km) service without being excessively high (up to ~40K) - Secondhand prices in AU are a lot higher than EU/UK/US and this is still about the same I paid for my last bike new ('13 Husqvarna Nuda 900R - albeit I got $3.5K off).

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
According to these guys, the Ohlins is good enough that you can barely tell the difference. I can also attest that adding the Ohlins semi-active ecu upgrade makes the suspension on a 2011 amazing.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/first-rides-tests/2013/january/jan0713-multistrada-old-vs-new/

However, I have NOT ridden a Skyhook bike; I can only say that my 2011 with the Ohlins and upgraded module and stiffer rear spring was the best suspension I've ever had on a motorcycle.

I had the following issues with my bike in 34,000 miles:
1) Gas tank expanded and needed replaced
2) Dash failed and needed replaced
3) Rear brake was non-existent
4) Thermostat failed and needed replaced

I would have no reservations at all about the Ohlins, it's great, but I am also in the market and will be test riding a Skyhook bike this spring.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
According to these guys, the Ohlins is good enough that you can barely tell the difference. I can also attest that adding the Ohlins semi-active ecu upgrade makes the suspension on a 2011 amazing.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/first-rides-tests/2013/january/jan0713-multistrada-old-vs-new/

However, I have NOT ridden a Skyhook bike; I can only say that my 2011 with the Ohlins and upgraded module and stiffer rear spring was the best suspension I've ever had on a motorcycle.

I had the following issues with my bike in 34,000 miles:
1) Gas tank expanded and needed replaced
2) Dash failed and needed replaced
3) Rear brake was non-existent
4) Thermostat failed and needed replaced

I would have no reservations at all about the Ohlins, it's great, but I am also in the market and will be test riding a Skyhook bike this spring.
Semi-active Ohlins > Skyhook. It's not that Skyhook is bad... it's actually really good. But Ohlins is better. If you mostly tour you may never notice the difference... if you like to ride hard on occasion you probably will notice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts