Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold my '07 ST3. Loved that bike. I am looking to get anoher bike taht's fun to ride, can do a lot of miles on, and even carry a passenger. I test drove a 2008 BMW K1200S. Monster motor and a great interstate traveler, but a friend of mine told me to consider teh MTS, since I am a Ducati guy at heart. Read through a bunch of the positngs and definitely want to go see one in person again. I looked at the MTS before buying the ST3, but that funny windscreen was too odd for me then. Anyway, should I limit my search to teh 2007+ years to avoid the VG issue and fuel gauge problem? A local dealer has a leftover 2008 1100 S in black, but they want the same amount as a new 2009!:eek:

This bike will probably mostly due duty as a sport-tourer, commuter, and two-up bike. I have other steeds for more aggressive riding. Good choice over the K1200S?

·
Registered
53 Posts
'08 Mts

The MTS will do what you need it to do. Since this is the last year for it, demand is up and so are prices. In my neck of the woods, used ones are going for $15,000. NO KIDDING!

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Multi makes a fine sport tourer in my opinion. I bought an 05 new and rode if for 3 years. I got the itch for something new so I tried everything I could think of. I have done time on a Sprint, an ST3s, owned two BMW RTs, the GS, FJR and even did some miles on an ST1300. When it came down to it, nothing satisfied me more than the Multi. So I traded my 05 for a leftover 08 1100S...and I got mine at a very good price. If you want a bike that you can ride all day, including the twisties, the highway, small backroads and urban warfare, then the Multi will do it all. It may not be fun, but I have done 600 mile days on the Interstate on my Multi when necessary. I was actually quite pleasantly surprised with its ability to handle it. It will haul plenty of luggage too. There may be other bikes that do one thing better, but its hard to find a better bike for doing all things well. I have been riding over 40 years and I have never purchased the same bike back to back...until now.

shep

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
What JB said and I'm just now using the Multi as a sport tourer and plan on doing more camping excursions in the future. I would make two upgrades with your 07 or newer Multi. Get the MRA Vario windscreen, it stops wind buffeting or consider the max protection DP windscreen. I've got the MRA and I have heard good things about the DP screen though. Another upgrade would be the FatDuc manipulator, especially if you find a Duc with an aftermarket exhaust already on it or even for a stock bike, it works miracles on slow speed smoothness. If you haven't heard of it its a device that fools the ECU into thinking richer since the bikes come from the factory on the lean side. Its much worst when you put an aftermarket exhaust on it. The FatDuc will only work on the closed loop system of the 07 or newer Multis.

Another improvement thats vital to the comfort and performance of your MTS (any bike for that matter) is getting the suspension dialed in for you.

Its a great bike, a multipurpose bike, does many things well and thats what I like about it. I'm really looking forward to sport touring on it. One more thing that I've heard that might need help is the seat. I took a long one day ride and I was feeling the discomfort, but getting off the bike for short breaks helped. For me its the two hour seat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts