Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rear suspension assembly from a 1000 MTS including the adjustable tie-rod which I plan to install onto my MTS 620. I would like to avoid increasing the ride height of the rear and I am hoping someone can provide guidance on the best way to achieve this.

There seem to be two options:
  1. Install the 1000 shock but leave the 620 tie-rod in place
  2. Install the 1000 shock and the 1000 adjustable tie-rod
Does anyone know which of these options would have the least impact on the ride height?

Follow up question: The manual for the 1000 states that the ride height can be adjusted by adjusting the tie rod but doesn't state whether making the rod longer would increase or decrease the ride height. A quick look at the geometry of that assembly seems to suggest that making the rod longer would increase the ride height (indicating that the 1000 tie rod can only be adjusted to increase the height as it seems to come from the factory in the shortest configuration). Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I would guess you are correct, since I bought a 1000 rod for my 620, and it came in the shortest position...which was the same length as my 620 rod. I bought it so I could lower my 620 a little, so it seemed I had messed up.

Then I disassembled the 1000 rod to check the threaded ends. Each end was threaded so deep, that I was able to saw off at least 3/8ths of an inch before reassembling the ends on the rod. I then installed it and lowered my 620 about 3/4ths of an inch in the rear. (I also slid my forks up in the triple clamps 3/4 of an inch to match)

Take a look, you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just installed the shock only and it seems that configuration has increased my ride height by about an inch in the rear. The unloaded length of the shock is the same so presumably this is just due to the spring being a bit beefier. Not a bad thing as I am planning to do some light touring and I'm sure the 1000 shock will cope with luggage a lot better.

I was able to saw off at least 3/8ths of an inch before reassembling the ends on the rod. I then installed it and lowered my 620 about 3/4ths of an inch in the rear.
That's pretty clever! I am going to see how things feel with the increased height in the back for now but if the kickstand is overextended or if the extra inch seems to affect handling much I am going to give that a shot. Thanks for the tip!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts