Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of town and tried to get service at a local dealer for rear brake/clutch failures and they refuse to service my bike. I have tried for a week to make arrangements and they will not help me. What in the world is going on with Ducati's dealer network and parts availability?

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
I can't speak to the service side of the equation but parts may be slow in being shipped over due to the recent earthquakes.

Why are you being refused service?

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Out of town and tried to get service at a local dealer for rear brake/clutch failures and they refuse to service my bike. I have tried for a week to make arrangements and they will not help me. What in the world is going on with Ducati's dealer network and parts availability?
There are good dealers and bad dealers associated with every motorcycle marque. Don't tar and feather the whole Ducati network because you are having a problem with 1 dealer! :eek:

Where are you? What reason is the dealer giving you for not servicing your bike? What kind of brake/clutch failure are you experiencing?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Yes. Where are you?
I assume the US. Immediately phone the national importer and complain loudly.

·
Registered
545 Posts
OP, you want to give us a little more information, such as why they don't want to service your bike? Do you want us to guess? Or was your intention in posting this was to get a useless thread going?

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I don't remember ever seeing a positive post by this guy.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
"JUST NOT RIGHT"

I am interested in your chosen forum name.

You are trying to communicate a message in that name.

What is not right?

Dan

·
Registered
114 Posts
Our Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawaski dealer here in Johnson City TN won't do any work on any bike not purchased from them, especially warranty.
They get paid from the Manufacturer to do warrenty, but they just won't do it.
And they only have once price for motorcyles, MSRP. If you won't pay list price, go elsewhere.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Our Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawaski dealer here in Johnson City TN won't do any work on any bike not purchased from them, especially warranty.
If this is true this dealer is an asshat and cycle owners should not give them ANY business.

Would really suck if while on tour out of town someone had to limp in to the nearest shop (possibly hours from the next closest shop) on a wounded machine only to be refused service at the door.:think: AVOID dealers like this at all cost. What if all/more dealers had this policy? BAD BAD BAD! :mad:

·
Registered
545 Posts
They get paid from the Manufacturer to do warrenty, but they just won't do it.
And they only have once price for motorcyles, MSRP. If you won't pay list price, go elsewhere.
Aside from the fact that such a policy would be a direct violation of their dealer agreements with the manufacturers, a dealership like that won't survive unless it has a captive market that has no other choice.

What I can understand is a dealer refusing to do a favor service for a non-customers, such as customer A comes in with a problem that is not technically a recall or a warranty item, but something that is bothering them and they want fixed for free. The kind of thing that a dealer that you bought from and wants to maintain the relationship would be willing to do, but a that a dealer in BFE that will never see you again probably won't be willing to put their mechanics on.

Also, I don't know how it is where you guys are, but around here, this time of year, the wait for a service appointment is about 6 weeks. So if someone walked in off the street demanding service for something, the dealership is very unlikely to accomodate them.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
the OP was supposedly refused service at a local Ducati dealership and which has nothing to do with non-manufacturer dealers, service favors, service wait times, period. it has to do with a Ducati owner being refused service by a Ducati dealership. having said that, this thread is probably not worth anyone's time.

·
Premium Member
12,284 Posts
Anybody got any spare? time look up the posters other posts...
Judge Judy is on so I'm busy....

·
Registered
545 Posts
the OP was supposedly refused service at a local Ducati dealership and which has nothing to do with non-manufacturer dealers, service favors, service wait times, period. it has to do with a Ducati owner being refused service by a Ducati dealership. having said that, this thread is probably not worth anyone's time.
Actually we have no idea why he was 'refused' or what refused really means in this case, as his post is incomplete and doesn't make much sense. For all we know he was whining about something that the dealer didn't think was a warranty item and/or didn't think warranted dropping everything, bumping their local customers and jumping right on.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
All we know is what he has told us, and that is, that a Ducati dealership refused him service. I was the first to ask the question as to why and which subsequently went unanswered.

Bidding adieu,

·
Registered
448 Posts
I guess it's ok to threadjack, then?

It brings up a question I had about dealers doing warranty work on bikes that weren't purchased at their dealership. The dealer where I bought mine is an hour away, I bought it there from a salesguy who was a friend of a friend (and isn't there anymore). There's a closer dealer about 15-20 minutes away, and I'm wondering if they'll do the warranty rear brake fix for me, since I was at my purchasing dealer last week to get an ECU update and service reset flash and asked about it - they said they've been told to do a bleed on the rear first, have the owner ride it around a while, then if it persists, THEN do the TSB kit install - which I think is bullsh!t. If there's a kit, I want it installed. Period.
The back-and-forth sounds like a sh!t deal, and no way I'm riding 1 hour each way, twice, to get it fixed 100%.

Also, the service manager said "these bikes aren't known for having a strong rear brake anyway". Uhh, what. I don't want "strong", I want it "working". It should work like a rear brake when I press it, I don't need it to be "strong". Especially since it does *nothing* right now - no matter that I don't ever use it, it should work.

*resume normal thread activities*

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for the delay in responding with more information. I was out of town and waiting for the proper parties to respond. As you noticed I did not mention the dealer involved in order for them to change their mind.

I had to contact Ducati Italy who then contacted Ducati NA and here is what they said quote "each dealership in a independent franchisse and is responsible for the way they conduct thier business. That being the case Ducati NA is unable to assist"

The rear brake failed again and would not even hold on a small incline, the clutch again was failing to disengage completely. I also needed a oil change and a new set of tires.

They would not give any reason why the would not service my bike at all. There was no mention of warranty issues or any other thing. I tried several times to get a response without any. I did not just stop by and demand service on the spot. I contacted the parts man to see if the parts were in stock and available a week to 10 days before I left to get a appointment.

Since I had to wait 4-5 months for the left hand mirror to be available I wanted to make sure the parts were available for the rear brake and clutch.

5 months for a rear view mirror and the bike sits waiting for a mirror this makes no sense to me. At least Ducati stocked parts in the US for the first two bikes I owned.

This is my fault because I knew that they had no real interest in providing good customer service for their US customers when they stopped stocking parts here.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Still not understanding what you're saying. Did they say that the parts were not in stock or did they simply say, we don't service bikes that are not purchased there?

Or did they just say 'no, we no service your bike', in which case are you sure you didn't dial the Chinese take out place next door by mistake?

There's gotta be more to this story than your letting on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts