Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a jam, need to remove rear wheel on my Multistrada, nearest dealer is 200 miles away, what socket can I use to to move the large nut on right side?

Do I need to remove exhaust ?(doesn't look necessary) Any tricks? Sure wish the manual spelled it out.

·
Registered
805 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just to add- you will need to pull the slip-ons to remove the wheel. They have a keyed slot, so after you loosen the clamp bolts, rotate them about 1/8th turn clockwise and they will slide off easily.

I carry an aluminum front/rear wheel socket in my toolkit at all times:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Ducati-1098-55mm-Socket-Knurled/dp/B005CW9VFQ[/ame]

for just such an emergency- out in the boonies you can get a tire, but the average Honda dealer won't have a 55 mm...

·
Registered
530 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sooooooo, what is the torque setting when replacing the nut? Stand on a 18" lever? Really though, what is it?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
386 Posts
+1 for motomfg. I would have gone with the above kit but the rear socket wasnt steel. For a few bucks more you can buy the kit parts separately and get the steel socket (vs the aluminum in the kit) which I HIGHLY recommend given the amount of torque it took to get it off the first time. Thank goodness for my impact wrench!

Steel Ducati 1098/1198 SF MTS1200 wheel nut socket
Thanks for the link, just ordered one and will keep it under the seat. Better safe than sorry in the rural areas I ride.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Sooooooo, what is the torque setting when replacing the nut? Stand on a 18" lever? Really though, what is it?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
I think it's 130 ft lbs, +/- a few

·
Registered
198 Posts
230 N/m +/- 10% per the manual.
That's what I used last time, and my back wheel hasn't passed me yet.
:D

PS. +2 on Motomfg. Good folks to deal wid.

·
Registered
102 Posts
+1 for Motomfg dude chiming in, that got my business over fleabay or amazon. Plus he's just a lil' bit away in upstate NY!

I will save me the cost of this tool carrying wheels in for 1 tire swap. Yeah!

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Help removing rear wheel on 1200!!!!!!

I have my new tires, 1200 is up on a stand....

I sheared off a 1/2" adapter using a 4' breaker bar.
My impact air wrench is useless

I have the moto steel rear socket, and it looks like someone forgot to use anti-seze........:mad:mad:

I used heat with a tourch, and pb40, I even whacked it a few times.

Bike is in gear, front and rear brakes engaged, no help.....

Any suggestions? I'm guessing I need a bigger impact wrench, like a 1" with 1/2" adaptor.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
The only thing that got mine off was a freaking pipe on a breaker bar. I had the bike in first gear, on the side stand, my wife standing on the rear brake, and me with the breaker bar and pipe.

It was the same freaking routine for the sprocket side also.

Oh, and lots of cussing. I sure that added some ft. lbs to the torque I was putting on it...

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
The only thing that got mine off was a freaking pipe on a breaker bar. I had the bike in first gear, on the side stand, my wife standing on the rear brake, and me with the breaker bar and pipe.

It was the same freaking routine for the sprocket side also.

Oh, and lots of cussing. I sure that added some ft. lbs to the torque I was putting on it...
Dam, that just seems to sheer the 1/2" impact adapters off!

·
Registered
264 Posts
:confused:
Clearly, something's not right. I've changed my tires a couple of times and while I have to use a pipe over the end of a breaker bar to get enough leverage to turn the nut, it's nothing extraordinary. Using impact drivers and breaking tools is likely to lead to a damaged axle. Maybe you should take the bike to your dealer and ask them to loosen the nut. I don't mean to be insulting by asking if you first removed the retaining clip.

·
Registered
484 Posts
You shouldn't be using an adapter or extension. The Axle Socket should be a 1/2 drive and you should use a 1/2 drive breaker bar plugged into the Axle Socket . It is lefty loosey to loosen the the nut.

You could get a 3/4 drive breaker bar and go down to 1/2 drive. Those should be beefier and hold up better.

I do like the idea of making the dealer loosen it for you, but that might not be convenient for you.

·
Sophomore Member
2,988 Posts
I had a shop change a tire while I was on a trip. I believe they rattled the nut back on as I had similar problems. I broke 2 1/2" drive 18" breaker bars. I took it to a shop and they used a rather heavy duty rattle gun and some heat to get it off. I have since sourced a rattle gun from harbor freight that does 1000 ft lb. It was <$100. POS, but good enough. Fortunately, when I put the axle nut on, I know I will be able to get it off without excessive force.

Get a 20% off coupon for HF and order one of these:
3/4 in. Heavy Duty Air Impact Wrench

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Finally wound up with a 320 foot pound impact wrench here. Anything less did not do it for me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts