Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of upsetting a few of the dedicated ‘Ducatisti’ here…as a result of a few other people mentioning the ‘light front end’…and not being able to find too much info doing a search….let’s open this up.
At speed…(100mph and above)…the bike is very easily ‘upset ‘ by gusts and turbulence. I ‘feel’ this may be associated with the screen…any views on this? Much above 100mph…say 120…any ‘disturbance’ at all, (gust, bump) will set off a little wobble. It’s a non-divergent wobble…but would be nice if it didn’t do it! Certainly powering out of a high speed bend…the front does feel a little light….not as securely ‘planted’ as I would like. I am still running the Scorpian tyres and will change to PR3’s as soon as they are available here. All (constructive) comments welcome!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Adventure bikes in general, or any bike really where you sit completely upright, are not designed aerodynamically or otherwise for sustained triple digit riding. If stability at 120 MPH is what you're looking for you'd probably best look at a sport or sport touring bike. It's largely irrelevant in North America anyways as speeds over 100 MPH will land you in jail and your bike in an impound lot.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My sense it that it is not so light up front but does carry a bit of windage around its bigger than average bulk (not weight). Have a crack at dropping the front forks a quater inch, that may well push an extra bit onto the front wheel and give you a more planted feel.
My view is the bike is very responsive and balanced rather than twitchy or skittish.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with both of you. This is not really a speed bike...but it is sold as one! In reality there is no 'all things to all people'! I have seen a few comments about dropping the forks...worth a try. Thanks. Nick

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Nickpilot,
I am Jealous!
I lived in Singapore for 2 years and hammered a KTM990 AdV around Malaysia. 180km/hr everywhere I could and police waving as I hammered past. Another bike that would not keep up with a Blackbird on the Singapore highway but it could venture into the forrests and dirt roads. I think the MTS1200 is a fine high speed bike but you are limited by the aerodymanics, not the engine power. The suspension height also makes this worse. Look how low a Hayabusa is.

Lowered forks and a sport screen will certainly help.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
I agree with both of you. This is not really a speed bike...but it is sold as one! In reality there is no 'all things to all people'! I have seen a few comments about dropping the forks...worth a try. Thanks. Nick
I just dropped my forks 8mm and it did make a difference. I routinely travel above 100mph (god bless Italians:D) and I do not have the wobble. Still think mine needs stiffer springs and new cartridges.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Malaysia is a nice place for bikes and bikers! Yep...I'll drop the forks a bit and see. Accept it's not a 'racer'...and yep...200km/h ++ is asking a bit much for a 'sit up' bike!!

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I routinely travel above 100mph
Out of curiousity, where in Italy do you routinely travel above 100Mph?
Autovelox and lasers are just about everywhere so maybe there's a spot I'm nor aware of?
I'm sure you're aware of the fact that lately there's a war on motorcycles, any reason is a good reason, a buddy of mine had his SF impoundede for the license plate being 2 degrees off.
Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Out of curiousity, where in Italy do you routinely travel above 100Mph?
Autovelox and lasers are just about everywhere so maybe there's a spot I'm nor aware of?
I'm sure you're aware of the fact that lately there's a war on motorcycles, any reason is a good reason, a buddy of mine had his SF impoundede for the license plate being 2 degrees off.
Cheers!
I travel all over Italy because of work...but live in Tuscany and ride a lot in Liguria. I'm off to Croatia this weekend on the MTS for a week working all along the coast:D. Honestly, maybe I am just very lucky. I've been here 7 years, never ticketed (I deserve plenty...Knocking on wood here). They have tons of cameras and none seem to work or at least find me...the Polizia and Carbs rarely seem to stop anyone. I also have special plates, so I think I get ignored a lot...I hope my luck continues.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love Italy as a place to be...to eat...drink...travel. (My ex was half Italian...I used to go there often when we lived in Switzerland....you have a very beautiful country). But now I have ended up in Malaysia....which in it's own way is fine....and on a bike,,,,on the (very good) highways...you can be very naughty....so...as a somewhat aging person...I am!! With the top box on...(which has a published speed limit of 180 km/h)....at about 200...strange things do happen (and if you looked in a wind tunnel....it would horrify us all!). Without the boxes...in that high top gear....down hill....I wonder what it will do?
So far 240...but im not too confident on the bends...even gentle highway 'curves' take on a different meaning at that speed! (Ok....these speeds are 'indicated'...so 8% less as i cant look at the GPS at that speed!!). It's a fun machine...and so nice in the city too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
So far 240...but im not too confident on the bends...even gentle highway 'curves' take on a different meaning at that speed! (Ok....these speeds are 'indicated'...so 8% less as i cant look at the GPS at that speed!!). It's a fun machine...and so nice in the city too.
YES, the few times I have exceeded 125 mph (indicated) I didn't like looking down at the speedo at all and I wouldn't look away from the road long enough to check a gps either.

The bike was VERY well planted though, even in gentle curves.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just came back from a 1000 mile ride on a Multi 1200 (rented) starting in San Francisco, going through Napa, then up the coast, cutting across the mountains to Redding and back to San Francisco.

I absolutely love the bike especially in the twisties. I was riding 2 up with full sized passenger and I was pulling away from guys on big BMW's.

I will say however, that on the HWY that the wind turbulence from cars that were in front of me and cross winds definitely upset the bike much more so than the older Multi..

I have just put a deposit on a new 2011 Multi 1200 S touring, as I just sold my heavily modified 2004 Multistrada .

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've had a curious effect after stiffening my suspension.

I finally caved and went with the 100 rear spring and the 7.5 fronts.

Speaking just to the front issue. I'm set at 4 out from full in on preload. I've noticed my front actually wanting to dance more and being very tank slapper prone on very hard corner exit acceleration. I actually felt more settled, 'lowerish' when I had the squishy stock fork springs.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't go back to bouncy and popping fork seals on every 10th wheelie. I love my 7.5's

I'm 225lbs without gear and subject her to everything from off road trails to paved racing.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I've had a curious effect after stiffening my suspension.

I finally caved and went with the 100 rear spring and the 7.5 fronts.

Speaking just to the front issue. I'm set at 4 out from full in on preload. I've noticed my front actually wanting to dance more and being very tank slapper prone on very hard corner exit acceleration. I actually felt more settled, 'lowerish' when I had the squishy stock fork springs.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't go back to bouncy and popping fork seals on every 10th wheelie. I love my 7.5's

I'm 225lbs without gear and subject her to everything from off road trails to paved racing.
This is normal. The rear spring is no where near enough where as the 7.5 actually sorts out the front properly. When you accelerate the rear squats and due to the inherent geometrical nature of the MTS the front becomes very light wanting to tank slap. This is why a lot of us have been complaining about the lack of availability for the rear spring.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I had noted the light front end myself, as posted in a separate thread recently. I just got the 100 nM rear spring and a set of 7.0 fork springs. May take a few weeks to get them installed, however I'll try to remember to report back on what difference, if any, I note in the lightness of the front

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is normal. The rear spring is no where near enough where as the 7.5 actually sorts out the front properly.
? I did the 100 rear spring, I'm feeling pretty confident with DES tweaks and new springs front and rear, at my weight, that I've got plenty of sproing under her now.

I'm not so worried about all the numbers resulting some perfect equation angle. I want her to hold when pushed, not hop unless I tell her to, and beat everyone else to the finish line! ha!
I gotta tell ya', I got pretty comfy with her springs, well....comfy or squishy. I had a much more super moto, long travel feel to her. Now she's all bound up and not wanting to be moved. I've done the adjustments across the board to Comp/Rebound, still getting used to "tight as a tick". It's been a year or so now since I've been on a track suspension, not that I'm shooting for that, but a rough comparison as stacked up against stock.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Turkish Express is 100% correct. If the rear is proprtionately softer than the front it will cause a more pronounced squatting under acceleration and a corresponding unweighting up front. I am also circa 250 lbs and run stock springs but ride with the single plus luggage,it is great for 95% of the ride. I have had a few bottoming moments, but mostly at naughty speeds and hitting unfreindly bumps on bends under hard acceleration.
I do love the responsiveness of the front end, maybe my wieght keeps it planted. Please also recall that the bike is comparatively light c/w other bikes of its genre and will never feel as planted. It will however, offer a more invigorating and attached ride.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I just came back from a 1000 mile ride on a Multi 1200 (rented) starting in San Francisco, going through Napa, then up the coast, cutting across the mountains to Redding and back to San Francisco.

I absolutely love the bike especially in the twisties. I was riding 2 up with full sized passenger and I was pulling away from guys on big BMW's.

I will say however, that on the HWY that the wind turbulence from cars that were in front of me and cross winds definitely upset the bike much more so than the older Multi..

I have just put a deposit on a new 2011 Multi 1200 S touring, as I just sold my heavily modified 2004 Multistrada .
....so we gonna have to riding sometimes when you get her, I'm up in Lake Grove. Are you getting the bike from F.1, Supermoto or Goldcoast?

·
Registered
206 Posts
All of this can be fixed through playing with the suspension, it's just a matter of how much time and money you want to throw at it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts