Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Thanks for sharing this, I'm going to do this mod during the loooooooooong (thats how long it feels :p ) winter here in Stockholm.

Might have to let Tom do his magic with the map as well ;)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Great Post

+1. Thanks for sharing. I think I'll do this mod over the winter when I'll also be adding a PCV + Autotune.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I don't know why you're questioning the dyno. What's important is the increase and or the difference in the area under the curve, which is pretty impressive for such a simple mod.

·
Super Moderator
8,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
There are charts out there showing 150+ hp from the MTS.
But Tom did mention that of all the mts he has had on the dyno, mine does shine for a stockbike with termi slipon..

Besides, its the increase that is the intresting bit. The hp number is just a number.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Super Moderator
8,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Thanks for sharing this, I'm going to do this mod during the loooooooooong (thats how long it feels :p ) winter here in Stockholm.

Might have to let Tom do his magic with the map as well ;)
I can personally recommend it! Tom has done three of my bikes and would not let anyone else touch them when it comes to tuning (excpet maybe Erik at proservice and Janne att IBC). Since your in Stockholm, we can also meet up and you can try my bike if you like. The change particularly at low RPM is MASSIVE! Mine now clims onto the backwheel easily at around 6k rpm if you roll on the throttle from 3k.

Tom collected my bike from the garage in mid april and then returned it when he was done free of charge. Great service.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Looks like I'm gonna find a weekend to visit Stockholm sometime this year (if it would friggin warm up).

·
Super Moderator
8,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Ran mine against a non mod MTS that had a full Termignoni system and a map not made by Tom from 50-250kph (35-150mph) on an airfield.

We where exactly even.. Mine has a stock exhaust, airbox mod and mapped by Tom.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
This will be my next project (after fitting my SW Motech driving lights), and probably after my ride to Spain, but before my track weekend on Aug.17.

I have a full Termi with dB killer (Tuneboy) map on mine (together with a MIVV GP shorty dB'd exhaust), and is known to be rich (based on some logging work I have done).

I look forward to getting myself a new Dremel tool, and seeing this work out.

·
Super Moderator
8,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hey Gilles.
Try using a soldering iron instead of a dremel on the left side hole. Its alot easier to work with in the confined space inside the airbox. Just burn/melt through the plastic. Plus you dont need to cover the intakes.

The snorkel you can dremel ofcourse.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Hey Gilles.
Try using a soldering iron instead of a dremel on the left side hole. Its alot easier to work with in the confined space inside the airbox. Just burn/melt through the plastic. Plus you dont need to cover the intakes.

The snorkel you can dremel ofcourse.
Amullo's right... The soldering iron is they way to go, no mess and very easy...excellent tip

·
Registered
426 Posts
Interesting post. How about the ram air effect at speed? Will the new opening and lack of positive airbox pressure kill performance at speed?
I'm not chastising your idea, I'm asking...
I was wondering the exact thing. I actually did the very same modification to my 2007 Yamaha XJR1300SP. The difference with that one was that the inlet manifold rubbers also had to be changed as they were tapered and the small end at the inlet port on the motor was about 30% smaller than the port itself. I also added a small inlet stub on each side to allow better flow. The gain was massive increasing power by almost 30HP after jetting changes.

The difference with the MTS1200 is that this bike is firstly injected. That should make it easier to sort out the fueling. The 2nd difference is that the MTS is designed to take advantage of the forced air effect at higher speeds. The air is force fed under pressure from the front of the fairing. Taking away the sealed duct to the air filter completely eliminates this.

Measuring HP on a dyno to take this into account would mean you'd have to set up an experiment using a high pressure fan forcing air down the duct at speeds up to around 200kph and you'd have to be able to measure with and without a sealed tube from the high pressure area to the filter housing. You'd also need to 'rejet' the bike between each mod as the forced air setup should lean out the mixture at 'high speed' and would therefore need more fuel to regain a safe air fuel ratio.

Can anyone shed light on this?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Having a straight intake pipe from the front to the airbox doesnt mean you have ramair unless the seals along the way can hold the overpressure that is created. Especially check out the connection between the intake snout bolted to the airbox and the plastic tubing leading forward. The tubing slips onto the outside of the snout, so there is no seal. The basic way to create on here would be to put the tubing inside the airsnout. Any overpressure will leak out on todays construction in MY OPINION.

But putting an atmosperic sensor in there should be easy. Who is up for it?
Correct me if I'm wrong but that would be true with the throttle closed but much less so with the throttle open. As you open the throttle, more of the overpressure air will flow into the engine and not out the seal. You would be correct in assuming that a better seal should make a difference but it may not be very much.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The airbox itself is cut open, so any ram-air effect is lost.
The intake snout is cut between the airbox and intake channel. Think of it as being inside the fairings by your right knee when riding
The hole in the airbox (left side) is done from within the airbox. Think of it as being inside your left knee when riding.

Now.. The ram air effect on the MTS as a whole would be intresting to see. If anyone would be able to give me a clue on what the increase in pressure actually is on a stock bike, then Id say the effect would be quantifiable. I am GUESSING that the effect is next to zero.. I would be very amazed if the effect of ramair would be able to increase power and torque across the range as the above mod has done (which actually is proven on a dyno).

Will ramair on the MTS increase power with 4.5hp and 4.1ft/lbs (6nm indicated on dyno)?
Across the entire revrange? Not speed dependent?

You can check this out if you like..
TESTS
Conclusion: Up to 120 mph when the boost hits 20mb, we're only talking about the odd bhp. On a ZX-9R.. Those have doulble intakes and are made to be tight. The MTS´s intake isnt.

But I´m open to other peoples experience, just as long as its relevant to real world usage. I dont ride over 100mph all that often, so..
Yep! The first test should be to measure the relative HP with the ram air tube connected and disconnected and with a high pressure fan forcing air at the inlet duct. That would tell us if there is a significant ram air effect to start with. If there IS such an effect, I can see that this mod would increase flow at low speeds and give a noticeable increase in torque but at high speeds it may reduce power.

·
Registered
426 Posts
As I understood it, its not the actual extra area (hole) for flow that makes the big diffrence, its the resonance of the enclosed airbox that changes to the positive when making this mod.
I think Tom has run a couple of bikes without airfilter to see what it does and the gain is marginal afaik. But he did advice me to buy a MWR airfilter. Havent done it yet, but its on my winterlist
That's also a good point.

On the XJR1300 I modified, we first drilled a hole on the opposite side of the air box the same size as the hole on the std side. What we got was a REDUCTION in power. Thinking about this, we capped the airbox hole we'd drilled and tried it with a range of different sized holes and found that a hole about 40% of the area of the standard intake on the other side gave the best power increase. Both sides were fitted with air intake snorkels having nice smooth curved edges to help flow the air better.
Actual increase was from 98HP to 127HP at the rear wheel with a massive increase in the mid range.

·
Super Moderator
8,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
That is all drivel..
Look at the top of this page.
I ran against a non airbox modded mts 1200 that had a full termignoni kit incl ecu with reflash (Ducati claims this gives 7percent power). Mine is stock exhaust and remap.
We where deadlevel from 50-250 (!) Kph on an airfield.;)

The design of the mts intake does not allow for any significant overpressure. The small intake coupled with how the pieces fit together will eliminate any possible overpressure. Just take a look at the coupling of the intake to the snout into the airbox. Its a rubber hose square that slips easily over the snout. Hardly a pressure holding seal with o-rings and screws like on the kawis

41 - 60 of 84 Posts