Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
This map is fake.

The MTS doesn't make over 100ft/lbs of torque.

And if that isn't the scale on the map the torque and horsepower lines should cross at 5400rpm.

Will the real slim shady please stand up?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Mr. Sunshine:

The graph has mixed units. The power is hp and the torque is N-m.
At 116N-m of torque that would be ~85 ft/lbs. That is still 7-8 ft/lbs more than the highest Multistrada dyno chart. Considering that's the OEM value something is way off.

Also why doesn't the torque and horsepower charts cross at 5400rpm? Horsepower is simply a function of torque over time...it should cross.

·
Sophomore Member
2,572 Posts
The lines are not going to intersect at 5252 rpm with mixed units. The torque at 5250 rpm is ~109 N-m. This is about 80 ft-lb. The power at 5250 rpm is 80 hp. It all works out just fine.

I'm not saying it is real, but I also have no reason to believe it is fake.

On a side note, here is an explanation as to why hp and ft-lb intersect at 5252 rpm:

1 hp is defined as 33000 ft-lb/min
power = torque X 2pi X rotational speed
power = (ft-lb X 2pi X rpm)*(hp/33000 ft-lb/min)
2pi/33000=5252
power in hp = (torque in ft-lb X rotational speed in rpm) / 5252
When the rotational speed hits 5252, your torque and power intersect when units are hp and ft-lb.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ok..

To start, I am new to my MTS1200. So please excuse my ignorance. More of that later.

Second.. I am not new to bikes (20+ years of street bikes), racing, or road tuning and dyno tuning my bikes.

Third, I started a similar air box mod for my 07 FJR1300 about 5 years ago. It added substantial "free HP" to the FJR's. although, it did stir up plenty of Nay sayers on the FJRforum (Even a young lad who did my mod improperly and tried to blame me....dipsh*t). Until dyno results were posted. Also, I pioneered a air box opening mod on the Victory M/C sites (TheVMC & TheVog) for my 2010 Cross Country / Crossroads. Also, heard some nay sayers there too.. BUT was quickly adopted by most after the dyno results were posted. SO I WHOLE HEARTEDLY APPLAUD THIS EFFORT! GOOD WORK AND THANKS FOR SHARING!!

Fourth, What I am getting at.. Letting in more air is always worth it. So long as the bike can utilize it(which the MTS1200 obviously can). This along with less exhaust restrictions and the right amount of fuel added. Both my previous FJR and my current Victory Cross Country had traditional air box's. No ram air systems. They benefited greatly. All across the RPM range.

Finally, Does our MTS1200's have a true ram air system? If not, I am all over this mod. IF SO... I am not going to be a nay sayer BUT the benefits stationary on a dyno might be negated by losing the pressurized air box at speed.. BUT.. IT MIGHT NOT. Remember, a dyno test result will never duplicate the benefits of a pressurized air box. If our MTS1200 do have a true ram air system.. The only way to know would be to take two (say stock) bikes and chop one air box (dyno shows even chopping it without mods adds power). Run them side by side at speed.. Say a Fourth gear roll on.... See if the chopped bike falls flat on its face at speed compared to the intact air box.

Another concern for a chopped air box on a MTS1200 would be to not do any water crossings with it if you were to be "off roading."

Sorry for the rant.. Thinking out loud with my fingers.
Webby

·
Super Moderator
8,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Mr Sunhine.
Ill ask tom to post a graph with hp/ftlbs. The graph i put up is for hp-Nm which we use here in europe. But rest assured that tom and myself have little intrest in promoting a mod that isnt prooven to work.

Webby
The mts doesnt have a sealed intake like th zx kawis.. The intakechannel is slipped onto the intake snout on the airbox, so i would seriosly doubt any overpressure.

But anyone can prove me wrong! Should be easy..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Amullo.
Has this modification affect fuel consumtion in any way? I think these bikes are a little bit thirsty (compared to my old ST4 any way..)

·
Super Moderator
8,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My consumption went down by ~10% or so. From 6.5L/100km to roughly 5.9-6L/100km (meassured, not what the ecu says).
Cant say if it was the mod or the mapping. Im guessing both.

A note:
This "how too" thread was posted because several people where intrested in the mod from my old mapped thread. Its proven and your welcome to use it. But please understand that i put this up on request and i wanted to share.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Sophomore Member
2,572 Posts
I appreciate the how to guide. I'm undecided on whether I want to do the mod. Regardless, I appreciate all of the info and providing the option.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
One more thing to do for the winter. Great :D. I want to check with some people to make sure it won't have any unexpected future warranty implications though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks TomTom,

I am seated! Hahaha. Having said that. This is a very worth while mod. Thanks again for sharing. LET UM BREATH!!

Webby

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Can the ignorant please sit down? :D

Webby
There is no ram air on the multi. Crossing water, the holes are equally high up as they were..

Sorry yes there is ram air on the Multi.

Perhaps you need to sit down.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Ok I went through and did the math on the dyno chart and it does look accurate as far as the torque equaling the hp.

Now I've never seen a Multistrada report that much horsepower in stock form.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Is that an apology Sunshine? :)
That issue is not one of maths, just one of the scale of the second Y-axis. This will define where the torque curve crosses the hP curve.

I really don't want to wade in on the other assertion but I would remind viewers that there are at least 3 commonly used measures of power.

1. Horsepower - Mechanical horsepower, also known as imperial horsepower, of exactly 550 foot-pounds per second is approximately equivalent to 745.7 watts.

2. Horsepower (metric) - The metric horsepower of 75 kgf-m per second is approximately equivalent to 735.499 watts.

3. PS (The Pferdestärke PS - German translation of horsepower)) is a name for a group of similar power measurements used in Germany around the end of the 19th century, all of about one metric horsepower in size.

If this is the reason, the quoted Dyno Max HP of 144.29 (metric) is equal to 142.21 (Imperial). Not much in it.

If you Seppos would only go metric we would not have this confusion.:p

·
Super Moderator
8,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Having a straight intake pipe from the front to the airbox doesnt mean you have ramair unless the seals along the way can hold the overpressure that is created. Especially check out the connection between the intake snout bolted to the airbox and the plastic tubing leading forward. The tubing slips onto the outside of the snout, so there is no seal. The basic way to create on here would be to put the tubing inside the airsnout. Any overpressure will leak out on todays construction in MY OPINION.

But putting an atmosperic sensor in there should be easy. Who is up for it?

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Thanks TomTom,

I am seated! Hahaha. Having said that. This is a very worth while mod. Thanks again for sharing. LET UM BREATH!!

Webby
Joking about your self usually come with brains, no need to sit ;)

Sunshine;
Regarding things found in the dyno, go ahead and push it if you like, I dont mind, just keep in mind this is like the hundreth thread like this Im in and you need to be somewhat creative to make me react more than just comment you, like Im now.
Im really used to argue but so far you have a brilliant career of destructing your self, which I wont interact with.

Timoz youre right, but there are just two kinds of hp, empirical or metric, pferdestärke is just a german name for the metric one, they use the SI system, metres, watts etc.
In europe the standard is to mix imperial hp with metric tq, so thats why the graph is the way it is, its what we use here.

In Germany you will see some amazing numbers and then they use a dyno called P4, which accounts for the transmission loss (crank power) aswell as use the SI system, hence the numbers.

On an 1198 in sixth gear the parasitic loss is 13hp from the transmission, measured in the dyno.
Yada yada, I can go on :)

Better to show the graph in all empirical, what strikes you seeing the graph and riding the bike, is the linearity. Its just a sick bike, and then my bike puts out 177 in the same dyno so Im no beginner at running strong stuff, impression is all.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Sorry yes there is ram air on the Multi.

Perhaps you need to sit down.
I'd honestly think of it as "cool air" rather than "ram air", ram air is based on the principal that you can get a sligth amount of positive airbox pressure at speed, a mild supercharging effect. You need a totally sealed system for this to work.

The little rubber accordian that fits about 6 inches downstream of the air filter junction is in no way sealed, being a slip fit.

Cool air is a good thing, but once the bike is moving i dont think you'll find any negatives from this mod. I could see some mild heat sinking on a dyno unless you have a huge fan, which most dynos dont.

Go take apart any newer Kawi or even Yamaha airbox, and you'll see the type of sealing i'm referring to. Or even an 1198 for that matter, it's sealed fairly well from the intake grates to the filter junction.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts